Old 12-09-2017, 11:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Silver Spring , Maryland
Question Subfloor protection: 6 mil poly under SMARTCORE vinyl planks?

Hi everyone,

I'm researching options for a full reno and thinking about how to protect the subfloor from water from above. This is for a reno where the belly pan would not go back on, so the wood could breathe in one direction.

Before laying the flooring, why not place a single, continuous layer of 6 mil poly over the entire subfloor, then float the vinyl floor on top of that? I think about the kitchen and the bathroom area, where water could end up sitting on the floor and seep through cracks to sit on the wood, and just the general desire to keep moisture out.

It sounds easier and faster than rolling on 200+ sq feet of sealant before putting the floor down, and is a complete barrier. What do you think?

(I also am considering the feasibility of wrapping this poly around the edges of the plywood before inserting it into the C channel, but that's a separate question.)

Thanks,
e

Old 12-10-2017, 07:28 AM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
IMHO opinion, a very very bad idea. Condensation could set in between the plastic and the plywood and any moisture that does manage to get into the plywood would not be able to get out. Your floor would rot from the top down.

It amazes me that people still want to use plywood as a subfloor in an Airstream and not an impervious, non-organic substrate like Coosa. Coosa doesn't absorb moisture, so it will not rot; non-organic material, so it won't promote the growth of fungus or mold; 40-45% lighter than plywood and just as strong, if not stronger.

http://www.coosacomposites.com

Lay it and forget about it. You don't have to epoxy it or glass it.

Pricey? Yes, but you will recoup the cost should you ever sell the trailer as it would show that you used only the best materials in your renovation.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Silver Spring , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Pricey? Yes, but you will recoup the cost should you ever sell the trailer as it would show that you used only the best materials in your renovation.
Thanks, @Isuzusweet.

I am considering AdvanTech engineered wall/roof sheathing panels (not their subfloor product). Lots of water resistance there, and for a trailer that will be towed exactly once after I renovate it, and parked for 10+ years and used in the summer, I suspect that will suffice.

I looked at Coosa, but at >10x the price, I don't think I can justify it. In a small trailer, sure, but not when I'm going to need 9 or 10 sheets. I need this to last 10-15 years, not 50. I get the resale angle, but that premium would eat up too much of my budget in the short term.

Thanks,
e