Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2007, 10:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Rivet Story Stick to copy irregular shapes

You can use a long narrow board and mark dimensions of a cabinet along that board. If you add a second flat piece of material, you can scribe around the stick and record the size and shape of larger or irregular shapes. The stick should be pointed and used with the same side facing the second piece of material (cardboard, lauan, particle board, plywood). I learned this originally from Wooden Boat magazine as a technique to record bulkhead contours and have used it in multiple ways since. This thread will demonstrate two applications from my Argosy -- creating the contours of a missing outrigger as a welder's guide and registering the contours of a floor section before destroying it.

Two outriggers were rusted away below the rotten battery compartment floor. There was very little steel left but the wheelwell trim gave a good indication of the desired shape. I used a small rectangle of 1/4" ply as my flat template on which to record stick locations. You must either fix this template to the work or have some way of maintaining its position exactly during recording. (All photos expand to larger size.)
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Outrigger.JPG
Views:	523
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	30768

Position the story stick tip in multiple locations along the perimeter to be recorded. It is even being used to record the length of the finished shape in the above photo. Increase the number of tracing locations in areas where the shape is changing rapidly. Individual tracings do not have to be next to or otherwise related to previous tracings. A second shorter story stick is used below to transfer positions for this oblong work.

Name:	2 Outrigger.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	30769

Below is the template in position, showing the tracings of the story sticks. The tracing outline must be right up against the story stick, so use a sharp pencil or pen.

Name:	3 Outrigger.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	30770

Below is the template with the 'story sticks' held in their traced position. Below it is the roughed in 1/4" ply stock that will be a guide to take to the welding shop.

Name:	4 Outrigger.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	30771

I then went back to the Argosy to custom fit the guide until the trim, belly wrap and trailer frame indicated I had a workable replacement.

Name:	5 Outrigger.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	30772Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Outrigger.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	30773

The welder worked well with my guide and was very glad to have a sized and proven shape. Here is his result on one of the two outriggers replaced -- very close to the original!

Name:	7 Outrigger.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	30781

...and the final result with POR-15.

Name:	8 Outrigger.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	30782
CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Part II:

In this post I will describe how I recorded the shape of the front floor piece in my Argosy. A leaky window allowedd water to collect under the front water tank and rot the floor in this area. I used a large piece of corrugated cardboard as my template; it was tacked up against the back edge of the floor section during the tracing process. The story stick was a piece of shop scrap. The template & stick are not needed after the work is complete.

Here is the story stick indicating the inside wall contour at roadside front; before cutting the new floor I added an additional 2" to account for the width of the C-channel beyond the tip of the stick. Two of the heavy contours are the tracings for the corner ribs -- note that they do not need to be at the same location on the template. I was able to record the specific location of the umbilical entry and water tank drain for the floor replacement.

Name:	Storystick 1 template.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	30784

More pictures of multiple tracings with the story stick:

Name:	Storystick 2 transfers.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	30785Click image for larger version

Name:	Storystick 3 transfers.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	30786

Tracing detail with notes. Cross out and ignore any tracing you don't like:

Name:	Storystick 4 template.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	30787

New plywood stock with template attached to back edge, just as it had been on front floor inside trailer. Note the scraps from demolition being used to give a more exact contour. The story stick is positioned inside of each tracing to establish entire perimeter.

Name:	Storystick 6.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	30789

A little jigsaw work and you have a reproduced floor section.

Name:	Storystick 7.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	30790

Such a large piece of ply will be impossible to put in location without a clamshell technique. Instead I cut this floor replacement and installed it in two pieces as discussed at http://www.airforums.com/forum...ces-24430.html.

Any piece of work will need minor adjustment after using this technique -- rarely more than a sanding block or belt sander! This method would work very well to reproduce internal bulkheads or create new bulkheads. You would have to have some way of fixing the template in the proper plane and with desired plumbness to create a new bulkhead.

Internet references are slim on this exact usage. Other discussions of story sticks are at:
The Story of the Stick
Story Stick
Story Stick
Video: Making a Story Stick

I hope you find this useful. Airstream Forums is user supported -- for content and some financial support. Please consider a modest contribution and becoming an Enhanced Account member. Thank you!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hey Canoe Stream; Your statements are right on, especially with AS. Never assume that the two of the same looking pieces will be the same. Proof of it, is in my today's post. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
This forum just gets better all the time.
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
terrific stuff, I am always confused doing the curves, For my flooring I used brown paper as a template, but it was not too exact. Thanks for posting this
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Simple yet elegant. I like it!

Thanks Canoe Stream. I was trying to figure the best way to do this for the floors; now you've shown me.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Bob -

Many thanks for taking the time to post this very useful piece of information. You have saved many of us from hours of work and (especially) frustration.

Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Necessity is the mother
Old 02-14-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Canoe...did you use stainless?

In stainless we trust, in all others, rust.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:17 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Thorn Hill , Tennessee
Thanks Canoe....i have the shower pan out of the Argy and was staring at the curved patch holes yesterday trying to come up with a way to scribe a template. I'll giv it a try...
RD
MotorSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
This is very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Salt Lake City , Utah
Hello, I love this forum, I am finding out how to corispond, so if I am in the wrong place, let me know. I may have a bit of flooring to replace, How do I take off the belly pan?
Rev it UP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

I did something similiar that I think will work. I drew diagonal lines on my old floor from the center edge to the outside c-channel. I then made marks equal distance from the outside edge. I can then lay the old floor on top of my new plywood and measure that distance outward and make a mark. Then it should only be a matter of connecting the dots (with a slight curve).

Name:	IMG_1323.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	1,006.3 KB
ID:	55940
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:34 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
1995 34' Excella
Atlanta , Georgia
OMG Bob, thanks so much for this!!!! I think this new story stick technique is going to change my life! This is a genius way to measure and reproduce irregular 2D shapes.

Jeff
vincaroo is offline   Reply With Quote