Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Still Some Rear End movement Quick Question

Out of curiosity if all the new plywood is bolted to frame and out riggers through c channel and field of floor with elevator bolts, but hold down plate and rear skin is not riveted is it normal to get a little movement between bumper and body

Thanks for the help

Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
What do you mean the rear hold down plate is not riveted? The rear hold down plate is the main structural attachment to the shell. If the hold down plate is not properly attached to the shell then you will get movement and other problems.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
It was progressive on mine, Tony. Each step added more stiffness and I could see the change.

Steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Perry I sense your alarm and rightfully so. No I have a new hold down plate that is even backed with an additional piece of aluminum that goes down below the cross member to shed water and reinforce the skin a bit at the belt line.

By the way I covered the hold down plate with 10 mil PVA tape as I did the elevator bolts in the C channel to keep dis similar metals apart. It is the stuff they wrap gas lines with. I'll find a picture and post it.

Steve that is what I thought and wanted to hear. My friend, a big guy did the ole bumper test at my request and I did see a little bit of movement between frame and body. We ran out of time to rivet. Did practice with my new buck rivet gun. tomorrow we will buck some rivets. I am actually adding an additional row.

Thanks Tony
Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Do you have the two large bolts that go through the frame going through the C-channel and the floor? I put about a 6" long piece of angle in that corner to keep the bolts from pulling through or ripping the C-channel off the wall.

Perry
Old 05-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
I have 2ea. 1/4" x 1.5/8" x about 2 5/8" steel plate with a hole in it. original I cleaned up rust and put that PVA tape on it as a barrier. I used elevator bolts with 1 15/16" heads on them and some number #8 screws. I will talk some pictures.

Perry, I wish I did what you outlined. I guess more is better. I do have some 1 x1 angle.

Did you attach to the outside material or our you using the angle iron instead of sheet for stiffness?

Tony
Old 05-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The square metal piece is gone and replaced with the 1x1 angle. You should be using larger bolts than 1/4" for these. I think original were 5/16" and I may have put 3/8" back in there. The bolts on the straight section where 1/4". I had to weld tabs to the angle because Airstream put the crossmember to far forward and the bolts were missing the C-channel.

Perry
Old 05-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Perry, I took your advice and kept what I had and made up 2 more 1/4 rectangle plates like originals and used 3/8" bolts. I wasn't sure it was necessary but after doing it I think it added some real hold down strength.

I didn't take note of what was there originally so I do appreciate your advice.

Many thanks

Tony