Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #781
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Wow, Lots of work... It's looking really great. You've got some good ideas incorporated into your design. I may have missed it, but where did you get the port hole window for the door?
Old 05-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #782
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPdrums View Post
Wow, Lots of work... It's looking really great. You've got some good ideas incorporated into your design. I may have missed it, but where did you get the port hole window for the door?
eBay, of course! I haven't seen them in a long, tome, though... I wish I had bought more of em...

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:19 AM   #783
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Ventura , California
What kind of material did you use on your interior? It looks absolutely beautiful! I've been looking for something other than the vinyl...
jaminalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #784
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Man I just read the whole thing, its awesome. You have done one heck of a job.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #785
1 Rivet Member

Frame Off in Atlanta

Hi A-Merry-Can, I live in Atlanta and I am consider body removal on myy 1970 Overlander. I was wonder if you knew anyone in the area that would do this kind of work for me. I look forward hearing from you.

Thanks Randy

I li
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can View Post
ok guys. first and foremost, i am NO EXPERT! in fact, this '59 traveller is my first trailer! my grandparents used to always take me out for the summer in theirs, and i knew i had to get one. i've always wanted to restore something cool, so here we go. i decided to do a complete shell-off frame up restoration. it's the only way, in my opinion, and if you saw my frame, you'd agree! i tell ya, i have learned more with a pry bar and a saw in my airstream than anything i've read so far. i know a lot of you guys have done the complete shell-off restoration, and i wanted to run my plan by you all for feedback to hopefully steer me clear of any uncharted dangers!

here's my plan (i've already made it through the first couple of steps, but i'll put them in anyway for others).

1) remove complete interior cabinets, furniture... down to the bare shell.

2) remove 4 pieces of bannana moulding

3) drill out rivets connecting the belly pan to the body & drop pan

4) remove sub-floor (mine was so rotten, it practically pulled out by hand)

5) after i removed the subfloor, i had to use a cut-off disk to remove all the rusted bolts that held the floor on. (this is where i am with my '59 at the moment)

6) cut off all bolts from the shell to the frame.

7) build temporary bracing for the shell, once it's lifted (i plan to use x-bracing both vertically and laterally, with additional support along the body line of each side).

8) drill out rivets holding wheel-wells to body shell, and remove wells.

9) lift shell (with several friends and a jack?) above the frame and set on temporary saw horses.

10) pull frame. weld in replacement cross-members and outriggers, if neded (mine needs 3 of each). i also plan on welding the nuts to the shell that hold the shell on, so i don't have to access them once i put the belly pan on. sandblast the frame, epoxy prime, and final coat with silver.

11) replace axle and suspension with new.

12) install grey and black-water tanks in the frame if they are below the floor (this is all guess. my trailer was completely gutted when i got it, so i'm not 100% certain how the plumbing went in.)

13) cut wood floors using old as patterns (if only i COULD!) i'm going to have to guestimate mine. i'm planning on making a pattern BEFORE i lift the shell to make sure the pattern is correct.

14) reinstall wheel wells and splash guards.

15) install weather-proof insulation over the top of the frame rails

16) install new floor with new elevator bolts (i want to find an alternative to plywood. i don't want this thing ever rotting again!)

17) install center belly-pan piece first, then the 4 corner pieces, moulded to the shape of the floor.

18) drop shell back on, and install bolts into the frame. also, install wood screws between frame bolts.

19) line everyghing up, seal and rivet-away.

now the fun parts begin! seriously, though, is there anything wrong with the order i have listed above? also, if anyone has any tips or what-not, i'd love to hear them! i'm planning on digging in saturday morning and HOPEFULLY getting the shell off, and the frame ready to weld.

thanks a million for any advice!

jordan
randallmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #786
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi View Post
Cursh, This is an interesting idea. I'm now thinking of a portable unit that could be set up only when it's needed. i.e. some aluminum clothes dryer tubing with a fan. Any ideas on tubing size and fan size? There is even some cloths dryer tubing thats more flexable and compresses to a smaller size. I'm going to try this during this up coming summer.
Thanks Don
Just thought I'd let you know that I have seen this type of set up at the boat docks. It will work great!
BabyBoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #787
2 Rivet Member

Hi All, I have been searching through the posts to educate myself on floor removal/repair. I am at the point that I have removed some areas of rotten wood at the rear of the coach. The interior floor width ( to include under the shell) measures 8 feet 2 inches. Normal marine plywood is 8 feet-. There is a 10 foot available in some special imported wood that is about $200 a sheet. Has anyone come up on this two inch measurement problem and what did you do?
I have a 2001-25 foot Ex-Hell-a. :-0
lightng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #788
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
You might need to have a seam in the middle and run a +/-8" wide continuous "cleat" on the bottom side - glued and screwed liberally to the length of the panel (4ft.?). Doesn't sound ideal but where I had to do this the floor feels as solid, if not more, as anywhere else in the trailer.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #789
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightng View Post
Hi All, I have been searching through the posts to educate myself on floor removal/repair. I am at the point that I have removed some areas of rotten wood at the rear of the coach. The interior floor width ( to include under the shell) measures 8 feet 2 inches. Normal marine plywood is 8 feet-. There is a 10 foot available in some special imported wood that is about $200 a sheet. Has anyone come up on this two inch measurement problem and what did you do?
I have a 2001-25 foot Ex-Hell-a. :-0
home depot sells 4x 10 3/4 in marine grade ply for $107 special order in Los Angeles. Im also looking at this company for ply http://www.alliedveneer.com/
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #790
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Actually a butt joint as Mark R describes is as strong or stronger than then the plywood - if I remember the "cleat" should be 8" wide (4in on each side) screwed and glued.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #791
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
If you take a look at this post you'll see how I split the sub-floor in order to get the two pieces into the front area. That left a gap, which I filled and then put a cleat (see post #104 in that thread) underneath to connect across the three pieces. The only down side is that it made putting the insulation underneath a little more complicated.

Be careful--farther aft you can't split the floor in the middle due to the longerons in the frame (at least that's how my Sovereign is). You need to offset the joint so you can put the cleat underneath.

Zep
Old 05-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #792
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Gerlach , Nevada
Send a message via Yahoo to Tazameir Send a message via Skype™ to Tazameir
A-Merry-Can, your last post on this thread was a year ago yesterday! I hope all is well, and the pickle is just about done, if not already. I'll admit like alot of others, it's been a joy, and learning experience reading this entire thread (Took a couple of days!) . Thanks for taking the time to post all those pictures of your updates as well!

C.
1965 Safari - 1987 F250 4x4 | Member Black Rock Desert Rats 4x4 club | AIR #53724 | TAC NV-3
1997-Current Burningman Participant / 1999-Current Staff member.
--- Life is an endless stream of choices ---
Tazameir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #793
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
alright, this is NOT COOL. I spent 2 nights reading every single post in this thread. it's recommended forum-wide for anyone preparing to do a shell off (I am). I have been patiently reading YEARS of posts, waiting for the finished product. WHERE IS IT?!

I feel like i just watched a 3 hour movie but the last 3 minutes are missing!!! A-merry-can, you just left us hanging? Are you done? Can you give us the final pics? PLEASE?
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #794
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
alright, this is NOT COOL. I spent 2 nights reading every single post in this thread. it's recommended forum-wide for anyone preparing to do a shell off (I am). I have been patiently reading YEARS of posts, waiting for the finished product. WHERE IS IT?!

I feel like i just watched a 3 hour movie but the last 3 minutes are missing!!! A-merry-can, you just left us hanging? Are you done? Can you give us the final pics? PLEASE?
Heh, I re-read this thread and a few others fairly often, for ideas and inspiration. I suspect Jordan is simpy too busy using his trailer (and other toys) to post the completed pictures. Someday perhaps he'll get back to it.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #795
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can View Post
everything seems to change when you get into it, but here's where i am so far (i'll include 2 other plans i was playing with up until this one). what i'm trying to do is get teh maximum amount of day-time useable space out of a 15 foot shell... WITHOUT having to fold the bed up and down. that was teh one request from the misses she wouldn't budge on... and i have to admit, i like the idea of sleeping on a bed, rather than a folded down couch. plus, one of us can get up while the other sleeps in... and most importantly, with a baby on the way (yep! i'm gonna be a dad in april! ), it'll be a place to keep teh youn-un while we still have some room to move about.... who am i kidding.. it's 15 feet! i think i've crammed about as much storage and useability into that space as i possibly could!

here's the plans...
How did you do these plans? Did you use CAD? I would like to do something like this too. :-). Thanks
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:28 AM   #796
Dilla Villa

1985 25' Sovereign
Alvin , Texas
Do you have any pictures of the frame you used inside the airstream?
TammyP is offline   Reply With Quote