Old 08-31-2009, 11:21 AM   #729
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
I'll try that. Lowes has them, so why shouldn't Ace? They look different, though and don't have the retainer screws and springs...

Prime-Line at Lowe's: Offset Screen Clips

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:45 AM   #730
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Barn

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can View Post
I haven't had a free second to work on either trailer in a LONG time! I've been working on other things around the house. First and foremost... a place to KEEP the trailers! Hopefully, it will be done middle of next week, and I can start cleaning up the yard. I am SO sick of mud!! Here's a few pics of the future home of the pickle, shotgun, #51, and the elusive whale tail, if I ever find it!

JP
Hi JP, I was just reading about your barn and it sounds like you had as much fun as me, as far as the weather. The mud and rain was a real drag. Finally drying out around here for a while though. I looked over your new project, it looks like another winner and I know a lot of work.
Keep up the nice work, it is fun to watch.
Doug

http://tinman54.blogspot.com/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #731

Good luck ! And If any one else out there wants to do one of these I have a great shape shell etc "already removed" for $500 or Best offer,in NW ,Delivery Possible for fee? it is an Overlander 1958.. Frame need some more work ...Thanks Nu In WA
at <mrnu@gorge.net>
Old 09-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #732
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman54 View Post
Hi JP, I was just reading about your barn and it sounds like you had as much fun as me, as far as the weather. The mud and rain was a real drag. Finally drying out around here for a while though. I looked over your new project, it looks like another winner and I know a lot of work.
Keep up the nice work, it is fun to watch.
Doug
Thanks Doug! I don't know what I'd do without the barn. I LOVE leaving the trailers open after a camping trip to let em air out. Especially if it rained while we were gone. It's note to take out a window and not worry about it getting wet, too. Really opens up a lot of possibilities when restoring these things.

Now, back to the Silver Pickle... The front window screen is in, as is the curb side window, AND the door. All that's left to do is replace the glass on the front window, and finish 2 panels on the inside of the door.

Hopefully the new stainless black tank will be coming in this week, and I can get back on the plumbing, then FINALLY tackle the last 2 cabinets... a full year after I finished the first 3. Talk about a back burner job! That's why I'm resisting the urge to tear into the Liner. I know I'll never finish it until I get 2 other aluminum projects out of the way first.

JP

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 09-18-2009, 09:52 PM   #733
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bend , Oregon
Rear sag

We just purchased '74 / 31' rear bath and after removal of the flooring, refer, toilet, and water heater I can find no sign of water damage, sag, or damage to plywood. There is a small water stain around the toilet, however the plywood is sound. My Dad always said if "its not broken don't fix it". With all the posts on sag it sounds like I need to look at the frame and running gear. We are planning to refit with new refer, water heater, furnace, add range/oven, wood/lam flooring, refinish bath fixtures, new toilet, pex plumbing, 2x6 volt batteries, replace univolt and control panel. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Derf
Old 09-18-2009, 10:03 PM   #734
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
derf -Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like you have a bunch of items to work on in your trailer, all of which sound like good upgrades.

Check the wood floor where it attachιs to the shell at the very back of the trailer. This is often a trouble spot on the 70's trailers. You can also put some weight on the bumper (stand/jump) and make sure the bumper and frame do not move away from the shell.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #735
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
and so, the polishing begins! I'm probably 1/4 of the way around, and only have about 8 hours in it. Not bad, really. Since my last post, I've gotten the glass back in the front window, and all new window hardware installed (yaaaah!). Then I decided to start the first polish pass. I've got some wicked corrosion up top from where I had it covered with a blue tarp earlier. DON'T DO THAT!!! EVER!!!! This corrosion is REALLY resistant to the buffer, so I've done the lower panels for now. I'll try to photograph it next time. The only thing that seems to cut it is the white rouge on my buffer wheel, but it takes damned near forever to make any progress. I think I'm going to get some advice from a polishing pro pal of mine. :-)

Still waiting for the tank...

HOPING to get back on the cabinets this weekend. The plan is to camp in it ourselves at the fall rally! Wish us luck!

JP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7289_2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	87626  

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 10-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #736
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Geven came over yesterday and showed me how to polish. All these years, I was just buffing it. The shine Geven can pull out is amazing! Anyway, Here's some pics from the saturday 9AM-11PM polishing party. The street side is finito! I still need to finish up the curbside and the end caps... HOPEFULLY before falluminum! We'll see....

pics pics pics.. I was a MESS by the end of it!

Thanks again, Geven!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7319.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	88186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7320.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	88187  

Name:	IMG_7325.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	88188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7326.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	88189  

Name:	IMG_7328.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	88190   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7330.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	88191  

Name:	IMG_7336.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	88192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7346.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	88193  

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 10-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #737
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Jordan, that "I was a MESS" picture is priceless! Sure is a great looking Silver Pickle.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #738
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
great work! Love the barn too!
LOOKING FOR A COUNTER HEIGHT KREFFT REFRIGERATOR!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #739
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Polishing these things the first time is really messy work. The maintenance is a piece of cake, though. I can't wait to get the initial slicking up done.

The bad thing about getting this dirty is you really can't just pop out to the barn for an hour to polish here and there... The clean up adds an hour+ in itself! Might as well just suck it up, and get as dirty as you can all at once, eh? That was my philosophy yesterday, at least.

ps. I put my Wally Byam Caravan plaque on today as well. I'll photograph that next time I get dirty...

JP

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 10-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #740
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Shine vs. buff

Quote:
Geven came over yesterday and showed me how to polish. All these years, I was just buffing it. ....!
JP

So what was he doing different than you? Shine vs. buff.

Gene
Old 10-05-2009, 01:24 AM   #741
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
The Bling

Quote:
Geven came over yesterday and showed me how to polish. All these years, I was just buffing it. The shine Geven can pull out is amazing! Anyway, Here's some pics from the saturday 9AM-11PM polishing party. The street side is finito! I still need to finish up the curbside and the end caps... HOPEFULLY before falluminum! We'll see....

pics pics pics.. I was a MESS by the end of it!

Thanks again, Geven!
JP,

Love the photos! The smile on our faces didn't seem to capture how tired we really were! I kept trying to leave but you just wanted to do "one more panel, just one more panel". I like that Airstream polishing "tan" you have going on. Go to the translator website below and type in "to give bling" and translate it into Dutch.

How to say to give bling in dutch translation

Had a great time at the polishing party, we'll work to finish it up before Falluminum...then we'll polish the Tradewind before the Can Opener! I'll just be sure to wear my sunglasses if I follow you down there again!

Geven
Old 10-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #742
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminGuy View Post
JP,

Love the photos! The smile on our faces didn't seem to capture how tired we really were! I kept trying to leave but you just wanted to do "one more panel, just one more panel". I like that Airstream polishing "tan" you have going on. Go to the translator website below and type in "to give bling" and translate it into Dutch.

How to say to give bling in dutch translation

Had a great time at the polishing party, we'll work to finish it up before Falluminum...then we'll polish the Tradewind before the Can Opener! I'll just be sure to wear my sunglasses if I follow you down there again!

Geven
WOW, you are one good friend Geven, to give so much of your time to help out with one of the filthiest tasks in Airstreaming!

JP-- The Pickle is looking great, glad to see you back on it.

-Marcus

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote