Old 09-10-2007, 08:01 AM   #477
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
OK, so edumacate me s'more. What are you going to use as a gasket for the outside vent cover over that big hole? I gotta replace mine 'cause it's shot and need a good idea or two....

As always, great looking, clever work!

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #478
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Great explanation and photos as usual. Karma to you! Are you sure you need duct work on a trailer of this size? I would think it would cool the whole interior in a matter of a few minutes.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:59 AM   #479
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
OK, so edumacate me s'more. What are you going to use as a gasket for the outside vent cover over that big hole? I gotta replace mine 'cause it's shot and need a good idea or two....

As always, great looking, clever work!

Jim

I'm actually having a louvered door made. It will have gaskets and a lock, hinged on the top edge, so I can crack the door open to increase the airflow, if necessary. Whatt I meant by sealing the unit to the wall was pertaining to the inside. It's important to isolate the air that comes out of the machine from the trailer. It gets hot! I'll either make an aluminum duct that runs from te AC unit to the outside of the trailer, or just seal the back side f the unit with foam tape. Not sure yet!

Thanks for the compliment! I'm not that clever. ha!

jp

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #480
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
Great explanation and photos as usual. Karma to you! Are you sure you need duct work on a trailer of this size? I would think it would cool the whole interior in a matter of a few minutes.

Brad
FF
I like to over-engineer everything! haha! Seriously, though I had planned on running a duct through the kitchen cabinets and up through the closet, so it dumps out by the ceiling. It might help cool the top of the trailer. It certainly won't hurt anything.

One other thing I forgot to mention is how quiet this unit is, compared to the roof top unit on my trade wind. Every time that compressor kicks in it wakes me up. You can hardly hear the one in the Silver Pickle, though!

jp

Old 09-10-2007, 10:01 AM   #481
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Excellent work. I happen to have two of those 8K units that I used a few years ago in Tonopah, hooked into the Overlander via temporary supports at the windows. They did a credible job on that sized Airstream.

My 13K unit on roof of the Caravel does a good job in Vegas in the height of summer, but during the day runs pretty much all the time. I'm thinking 8K might struggle a little if it's over 100 degrees outside and the sun is bright. Let us know (OK, I know it will be next summer--don't forget).

BTW, I hate the size of the 13K on the Caravel. It's really a too big hump.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #482
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
i hate the look of a shortie with a hat on. that's what lead me down this path. It's not just the outside either. I never liked the look of the big AC panel hanging down from the ceiling. I couldn't come up with a way to make it look half-way worth a darn with the new aluminum and wood interior.

I did think ahead, though when moving the unit up front under the goucho. Should I ever need to replace or upgrade the unit, I have plenty of room to do so. I could get a unit up to an inch taller, and 12 inches wider, without having to do anything but move a few of the brackets. we'll see how she cools before I start planning on the next one, though. I think one thing that will really help in keeping this unit cool is the almost total lack of walls. We want a really open interior in it. In fact, it feels twice the size of our trade wind, at 6 feet shorter. we'll see if i can maintain that!

jp

Old 09-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #483
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
A stellar mod at this point would be to collect hottest air from next to ceiling - even if it is a partial draw of the total evaporator airflow to avoid restrictive flow... maybe modify a partition into hollow-core leaving the top open and flex duct snuck to it? I have been eyeing the bottom 16" of my closet for just such an A/C addition!

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:14 PM   #484
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
i hate the look of a shortie with a hat on. that's what lead me down this path. It's not just the outside either. I never liked the look of the big AC panel hanging down from the ceiling. I couldn't come up with a way to make it look half-way worth a darn with the new aluminum and wood interior.

I did think ahead, though when moving the unit up front under the goucho. Should I ever need to replace or upgrade the unit, I have plenty of room to do so. I could get a unit up to an inch taller, and 12 inches wider, without having to do anything but move a few of the brackets. we'll see how she cools before I start planning on the next one, though. I think one thing that will really help in keeping this unit cool is the almost total lack of walls. We want a really open interior in it. In fact, it feels twice the size of our trade wind, at 6 feet shorter. we'll see if i can maintain that!

jp
I have a 12V fan, the kind you would see on older bus dashes to defrost the windshield, that moves the cool air around nicely. It was in the trailer when I got it and I'd intended to remove it but it works so well in combination with the A/C when we use it. With a 21' rig, at least, the A/C mounted in a cupboard on the floor up near the front has worked out very well and keeps it cold enough for us. I do need to move it to a different spot from where I've had it though as it makes sitting at the dinette quite cool sometimes - a slight miscalculation on my part as it happens to be on the side Donna sits. Oops! I also happened on a 1957 TravelAire swamp cooler for car or home (trailer) and we have used it more than the A/C this year, but we also have not had the weather you folks get. For us hot is in the 90's.

Barry

Barry
Old 09-30-2007, 03:32 PM   #485
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
I'm back from a 2 week trip abroad, and FINALLY get to play with the Airstream again!! Today, I cut all the plywood for the top of the front couch, and one piece for the bed. Then I worked on finishing the install of the actual AC unit. More on that in a sec. I need to get photos to show where I am on it.

Cheers!

jp

Old 09-30-2007, 03:52 PM   #486
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Yeah, we need some photos.
Oh, and welcome back.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:45 PM   #487
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
AC Installed!

OK, Here's the final AC set-up. I had to make an extension for the control panel (i think it was 10 wires). My plan is to mount the control panel in the cabinet front, so you can see if when you walk in. plus, you can get the remote to hit it from the bed area!

This photo shows the shroud in place. I drilled (2) 2 1/2 inch round holes in teh floor on teh side of the AC unit. The wooden shroud keeps the external air from mixing with the cabin, and more importantly, keeps the ac unit from sucking all the cold air out the side! I still need to seal it to the unit with some foam, and add a tie down strap to the AC so it doesn't bump around during transit.

jp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3388.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	46263   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3390.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	46264  

Old 09-30-2007, 05:49 PM   #488
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Underneath the trailer, I drilled 2 more 2 1/2" holes for the cooling air intake. I wasn't sure if that would be a big enough inlet, but when I ran the unit, it was blowing enough air through it to keep the door open at 45 degrees! I don't think the intake is too small. If it becomes a problem, I'll drill 2 more. This photo only shows one of the holes.

You can also see the 2 condensation drain lines in this pic. I redid them with a thinner black hose that fit my grommets better than the braided line. It was just too thick.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3392.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	46265  

Old 09-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #489
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
now for the door. It fits great. That's the good news! I had this made by The Metal Company in Colorado while i was out of town. The total was a little over $100 plus shipping. It's a good job... but I'm a little particular, so I think I'll end up modifying the door a bit to look a little nicer. I'd like to have some additional louvers in it, and I think it would be nicer if the aluminum for the door was on top of the door frame, rather than inside it, and overlapped the door gap a little to conceal the edges.

I think I'll get the metal guys to make me a louvered panel and see what I can do with it. Yes, I know... it's just a trailer, Jordan! Get a grip! ha! I figure I've done about everything on this trailer twice, why not stay with my MO....

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3394.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	46266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3395.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	46267  

Name:	IMG_3399.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	46268  

Old 09-30-2007, 05:59 PM   #490
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
One thing I just didn't get is the fabricators screwed the frame together rather than welded it. So, at the very least, I'll be having it welded, plug up the screw holes, and sand it before I permanently attach it to the trailer. (hence the Clecos in the previous pics).

More on that later. I'm beat... still on UK time! haha!

jp