Old 05-04-2007, 08:46 AM   #393
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
the curb side didn't butt up as nicely. after i cut the door out, and stretched the wood to reach the frame, it caused a gap of about 1/8". the strips will cover all teh madness, though!

I think once all the wood's in there, i'm going to put a final coat of poly on the interior, in place. I've manged to get fingerprints all over everything.

jp

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:27 AM   #394
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
When, o when will i finally get around to finishing your wooden interior???

Attached Images

Old 05-25-2007, 11:18 AM   #395
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Well, Heck. The campgrounds will be full this weekend anyway, why not over the long Memorial Day weekend?

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:42 AM   #396
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
I just might do that!

jp

Old 06-24-2007, 07:31 PM   #397
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
More Wooden Panels!

You know what the worst part is about posting a project on teh forums? you know exactly how LONG its been since you've worked on it! Well, I got a full day today to tackle the wooden interior again. Everything's going in pretty smooth. It's wishful thinking to assume the wooden panels will butt up perfectly. I'd say maybe half of my joints do. It's no matter, though. The farthest off joint still only has a gap of 1/8", and the wooden interior ribs will cover that up nicely!

Anyway, on to the progress... I have now worked the entire street-side, front (under the cap), and gotten the panels cut for the curb-side. The wood looks REALLY nice next to the polished end caps. The interior is really light and airy feeling, especially next to the darker cabinets in our trade wind.

Next on the agenda is to attach the lower curb-side, and start on the rear. I have a feeling the rear will be a little trickier, since the panel slopes out on the back (meaning there won't be a 90 degree corner on the piece anywhere!) I have also come to the conclusion that I will need an external hatch for cables, water lines, etc. I foolishly thought i could store all of that in a plastic box for the trips, but the convenience of opening a door and having it right there really can't be beat.

I know, I know.. scroll back a dozen or so pages when i was replacing all of the skins, and I said i wanted it clean and hatch-free! I've learned my lesson on teh trade wind! I think I'm going to not only make a hatch there, but also have a slide-out drawer just inside that's really long and deep, with compartments for the different necessities (jacks, hoses, chocks, wires). I've already kinda started mentally planning it... Thicker guage, all aluminum, made on a brake and shear, so it won't matter if it gets wet! (and it will be lighter as well). More on that later...

In the IMMEDIATE future, once the interior skins are all in, I'm going to do the wooden cover-up ribs, then clean everything really well, and shoot one more coat of sealer, before putting the floor down (engineered oak... thin, light, REAL WOOD, and beautiful to boot!) and FINALLY starting on some cabinets! I am DETERMINED to have this little guy ready for the October rally in Hiawassee, Ga!

Enough of my rambling, here's some pics...
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #398
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
here's a pic that actually shows the street-side. Not much room in this little guy to get pictures!
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #399
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
You know what the worst part is about posting a project on teh forums? you know exactly how LONG its been since you've worked on it!
yes, i know that all too well.... great work!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #400
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
All but ONE!

I had a productive weekend on the trailer, and managed to get all but 1 of the interior wooden skins in place. Everything is looking really good, with each new piece. The remaining piece is the tail panel, which i can't do until i gut in the trunk access panel, which i can't cut in until i fabricate a door to replace the battered one (this is a familiar story, no?)...

So in the meantime, I'm moving on ahead with the interior skins. Next up is the cover strips that will mask all the seams where the panels butt up together. The strips are 1 1/2" wide by 3/16 thick. My plan is to secure them about every 12 inches, so the number of rivets is kept to a minimum. The first coat is on the strips. If the weather's nice, I'll shoot the next 2 coats tomorrow, then try to Cleco them in place.

As for fabricating the trunk, I think that might have to be a job for next weekend. I know how I tend to underestimate time when it comes to fabricating panels!

jp
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2007, 11:34 PM   #401
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Looks great. And I know its a tremendous amount of work too.

Keep it up!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:01 AM   #402
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
More Wood In!

After a nice, long, and COOL vacation to Alaska, I'm back at it! Most of the wooden trim strips are in now. It REALLY buttons things up nicely. I've also stripped the roof of eons of thich white, but peeling paint, and installed my new fantastic fan. Since I wanted a more or less custom/modern look to this trailer, I opted for the blue tinted one, rather than white. I couldn't be happier. Looks great! I'm still a little ways from having actual power run to things, but it's nice to have the whole top buttoned up.

I've also been working on the rear hatch panel (sorry, no pics of that). I decided to keep the original outter piece, and just fabricate the inside panel, and install a new lock. I still need to fine tune a few things with it, before installing it, HOPEFULLY this week. Then it will be safe to install the LAST piece of birch skin, and call the interior skin DONE! I'm looking forward to that!

Lessons learned when stripping the roof:

Stripper EATS THROUGH your plastic lenses! I forgot to take them off, now I'll be replacing them all... including the elusive blue porch lite!

Stripper ALSO eats through Alcoa Gutter Seal! MUCH to my dismay, the floor was wet after a good rain. A few minutes up top with a fresh tube of Alcoa, and I'm happy to report.. NO LEAKS! through several bad storms, in fact.

there's no fun way to get on top of these things. they're fragile, hot, cumbersome... I was suspended over mine in a chery picker, and it was STILL a maor PITA. Needless to say, I won't be polishing it! ha!

ta for now!

jp
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2007, 08:05 AM   #403
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
I have been following this thread over the years and want to congratulate on your "labor of love"! You have done an outstanding job on the restoration. I look forward to each new post.

P.S.
Do you have a photo of you working on the trailer roof from the cherry picker!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:50 AM   #404
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks for the kind words. I'll try to get a pic of me on that thing next time I'm on it. Very cool toy! 4WD, and you drive it with a joystick from the bucket!

jp

Old 07-31-2007, 09:55 AM   #405
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
Thanks for the kind words. I'll try to get a pic of me on that thing next time I'm on it. Very cool toy! 4WD, and you drive it with a joystick from the bucket!
Do you own it, borrow it or rent it? I can think of a thousand and one uses for a bucket truck for all my projects!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:01 AM   #406
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
I have a friend with an insatiable appetite for odd motorized things. It's more comfortable than his 4X4 military fork lift!

jp