Old 11-16-2006, 12:46 PM   #281
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
insulation first, then wiring taped to it on the inside, then spacer pieces of foam and finally the inner skin. i'm not sure about the guage on the 110 stuff. it's strong enough to run an AC, though. plenty enough for everything else.

jp

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:07 PM   #282
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
insulation first, then wiring taped to it on the inside, then spacer pieces of foam and finally the inner skin.

jp
That's interesting... on my trailer I'm pretty sure the wiring was put in first, against the inside of the outer skin, with the insulation put over the top of that. The reason I was thinking of doing it that way is because the inside of the outer skin is marked with the locations of outlets and lights. It would be easier to wire it with those guides, I think. Of course, I would have to poke through the insulation with the wires though, which might be a pain, but not that bad.

Is that why you insulated first?

Old 11-16-2006, 03:47 PM   #283
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankornuta
That's interesting... on my trailer I'm pretty sure the wiring was put in first, against the inside of the outer skin, with the insulation put over the top of that.
that's how my '56 flying cloud is wired. i just removed the lower interior panels and the insulation and behind that were the wires taped to the inside of the exterior panels.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:48 AM   #284
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
mine had markings on the inner skin as well. i think that was done mostly to make sure he frame posts had holes and grommets in them for the wires. i'm altering the layout of my trailer pretty significantly, so i didn't bother to write it all down. plus, if you wanted to poke holes in the bubble wrap insulation, that would indeed be a pain, and defeat the point of having all the trapped airspace (that aids insulation properties, i hear).

jp

Old 11-19-2006, 02:54 PM   #285
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Progress!!!

this weekend, i spent a lot of time on teh airstream. i started with the front porch lite, name plate and handle. they'd been sitting around my house so long, i was afraid i'd loose em if i didn't rivet them back on!

yes, i know the porch lite isn't the correct vintage for '59, but then again, neither is the tail light set-up i did... but i like em!

here's a few pics of the details by the door...
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2006, 03:07 PM   #286
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
and more tail light progress as well...

i REALLY like the look of the old bargman #9s. the aluminum trim ring really gives it that quaint vintage feel. the only parts i could get for them were through vintage trailer supply, the trim ring and the lens... but how to make the recessed cup? well, i did some thinking, and bought a set of recessed lights for a truck (i searched 4" light on eBay motors). i later found them at an RV store as well. the RV store was getting $11 a piece for them. my initial eBay score was only $5, though! cool!

anyway, i thought all i would use is the cup, then somehow get the trim from Vintage to graft on. well, it turns out i could use a little more than i thought. the generic recessed trailer light had a gasket that fit the lens from Vintage Trailer Supply perfectly. so, all i really tossed was the generic light's lens and retaining ring.

first step was to cut the 4 1/8" hole in the skin, and make double sure they're both lined up! i installed the lights upside-down, so there would be no possible way water could leak into the trailer through the light wire hole (now on top). lots of nasty vulkem, and 3 sealing rivets and i'm good to go.

next, i took the trim ring for the #9s, and put foam sealing tape on the rear. once they are installed on the trailer, this should make sure no water gets into the cup. i left a tiny gap at the bottom of the ring to let any water out that did somehow find it's way in there. there's a little hole in teh trim rings from vintage trailer supply as well.

i lined up the trim ring, and drilled 4 holes through the metal cup and trailer skin, and tightened it down with oval headed stainless steel sheet metal screws. pop in the gasket from the generic lights, install the lens, and admire! i'll probably get around to witing them over the holiday week.

what an improvement to the rear of the trailer! i went ahead and instelled teh name plate from vintage trailer supply as well (it's been sitting on teh shelf collecting dust for FAR too long!

it's starting to look like an airstream again!

jp
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2006, 03:12 PM   #287
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
and finally, tBEST part...

the rear window roadblock is SOLVED! thanks a MILLIOn 59toaster! he dropped off a couple of window frames for the front/rear out of a '62 something or another. i really didn't look forward to taking out the original frame that i had just vulkem'ed in a few weeks earlier. let me tell ya, NOTHING will restore your faith in Vulkem's ability to hold and seal more than removing a panel sealed with it! what a friggin PAIN! but, she came out.

i stripped off the paint from the replacement window, and got ready for the big moment. would they be truly interchangeable? the newer one had both frames, and operators, where as my original was just the base frame, and nothing else.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2006, 03:16 PM   #288
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
i had REALLY hoped my cleco-ing and riveting days were over ont eh silver pickle, but this job was a quickie... and exciting, too! finally, i can start on teh interior rear!

no new ground to cover here, test fit, drill, cleco, remove, vulkem, rivet and admire! i went ahead and cleco-ed in the drip cap as well. the window frame in it currently is not the correct one, BUT it has glass, so i stuck it in for the time being. tomorrow, i'll go down to diamond glass in alpharetta, and have the glass cut for this window, and the front globe trotter one. then, once the glas and frames are in, i can seal in teh drip cap, and call it a day! (well, after i order the window trim i need to seel it up from vintage trailer, obviously! )

thanks again, 59toaster! you made my day!

jp
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2006, 05:07 PM   #289
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Wow, looking great! Those new tailights are really especially nice looking.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:57 PM   #290
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Looking good!!!
Don
Old 11-19-2006, 06:22 PM   #291
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Looks great JP. Ain't it nice to find "just the right part" for next to no money? Mounting that light upside down is pure genius. I may go back and remount mine that way before I put the interior skins in.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:58 PM   #292
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
thanks for the encouragement! i'm really hoping to have this trailer camp-able by the april rally. that would be SO cool to tow a new one to the rally in hiawassee next year. everyman needs a goal!

jp

Old 11-19-2006, 07:59 PM   #293
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Looks great JP. Ain't it nice to find "just the right part" for next to no money? Mounting that light upside down is pure genius. I may go back and remount mine that way before I put the interior skins in.

Jim
whay kind of lights are you running?

jp

Old 11-19-2006, 08:19 PM   #294
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
i had REALLY hoped my cleco-ing and riveting days were over ont eh silver pickle, but this job was a quickie... and exciting, too! finally, i can start on teh interior rear!

no new ground to cover here, test fit, drill, cleco, remove, vulkem, rivet and admire! i went ahead and cleco-ed in the drip cap as well. the window frame in it currently is not the correct one, BUT it has glass, so i stuck it in for the time being. tomorrow, i'll go down to diamond glass in alpharetta, and have the glass cut for this window, and the front globe trotter one. then, once the glas and frames are in, i can seal in teh drip cap, and call it a day! (well, after i order the window trim i need to seel it up from vintage trailer, obviously! )

thanks again, 59toaster! you made my day!

jp

Man you just don't screw around do you?

It was great getting the nickle tour yesterday. I'll take the the Cuda as a payment if it will make you feel better. Seriously...thank Flyfshr and Tripp for the windows. They passed them on to me and unfortunately they were too small. Just passing it on and glad they were put to use.

You need to blow the dust out of the tail pipes of those two hot rods you have. Once I get my 70 LeMans back on the road we will have to meet up over that the car show in Canton. I will tow our 59 up there with it. It has as much oomph as my Burb. Speaking of which I am glad I drove the Toy I don't think my Sub would have made your drive. LOL

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote