Old 02-10-2006, 07:39 PM   #239
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
.....weekend, i'm pulling out the original (leaky) AC, and the vinyl roofing inside the sleeping cabin, and redoing the vinyl with all new material. i kinda like that 60's vintage look, ya know? i'll have to post some pics somewhere.

do you think a vintage AC unit is worth saving? i thought i'd put it on eBay to see if it could find a good home. you never know!

jp
Wooooaaa there cowboy! Does the original AC work? Is it an Armstrong? Where are the leaks actually coming from? The Armstrongs are "repairable" whereas many of the new units are not (from what the folks tell me here on the forums).

While dismanteling my trailer, I found a few leaks around the original Armstrong A/C unit that are repairable. Further, the A/C units actually works, but needs to be serviced. It may go Tango Uniform in a couple of years, but it's cheaper to repair it than to buy new.

If you decide to can it, let me know. I may be interested in buying it for parts (Ha!). We live just a few miles apart (sorta) along I-75. Besides, I'd love to come see your work.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:12 AM   #240
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
...and if i were, would any of you tell me? ha!

well, the Silver Pickle has a big brother now. i'm going to try the old camp in this one, restore that one routine... then flip em when the 18 footer is done. this trade wind was just in too good of shape to pass on. i'm running out of room, now! so this is IT, until i get that barn!

as for the '59, i have the parts i need coming next week to fabricate the missing window, then i'm planning on installing all 4 windows at once and start sealing up any remaining leaks... time to wake sleeping beauty from her winter slumber! (especially with this weather!)

jordan
You are a glutton for punishment LOL

So what did you end up finding for window frames?

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #241
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
You are a glutton for punishment LOL

So what did you end up finding for window frames?
well, i have a frame out of a 64 tradewind to stick in. the problem is, the window frame is not as deep as our sills, so i don't think it's going to seal up very well. i have all the pieces out of the trailer, i just need to clean up the pieces, and have them welded back together before i start worrying about that. i'll post pics once i get to that point (probably next week).

and yep, i seem to like pain... i'm putting in a new axle, plumbing, electrical and LP in the trade-wind so she's ready for the spring...

jp

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:38 AM   #242
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
back at it

feels good to be back on the Silver Pickle again! i got a break in the weather (though cold), and finished the side windows this weekend. the rear frame is out, and once i strip the old paint, it will be ready to reweld, and start on teh rear window fabrication. i'm planning on pullin gout the front window as well, and resealing the whole shebang with vulkem. new eyebrows should be here this week as well. i's going to be nice to have all the windows finally in and DONE. i've been taking my time on this, because i really don't want ANY leaks in the future.

next up:
pull out and reinstall front window
fabricate and install rear window
reseal outside endcaps with alcoa
install new eyebrows

then it's time to take a look at the door. i'll get to the interior SOMETIME this year! ha!

jordan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1767.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	18776   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1769.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	18777  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1764.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	18778  

Old 03-06-2006, 09:59 PM   #243
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
with you on leaks

I'm working on the inside of my trailer now. And I'm with you on the leaks. I just bought 6 more tubes of Vulkem. Your trailer's looking great. It feels good to be making progress again.
Don
Old 05-29-2006, 04:59 PM   #244
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
bathroom fab

Hi A-Merry-Can,

When you get around to fabricating your bathroom, let me know...we need to do the same thing, as we're putting the bedroom in the back and (hopefully) fabricating some kind of wet bath right where our wheel well goes. It's a ways down the road for us but I like to puzzle about it ahead of time as much as I can.

Your trailer looks great!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:14 PM   #245
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dillon , South Carolina
Thumbs up Two 1959 Restoration Projects--- I want to learn

Thank you so very much for all this great information. It has helped me make up my mind on if I should buy the two 1959 Landyatchs I've had my eyes on these past 4 months. One has a Black mold on the frount interior and exterior. This unit has been sitting under an old hickory tree for the past 10 years. No broken glass but soft floor at door and in bath. Will be buying as is. The other unit has no windows and the floor is in same condition. Both will need frame off restorations.
Where can I buy wheels to replace the ones that are on them now. I have been told that they are split wheels, very unsafe. One unit has rusted frame small pin holes starting to eat through the rear frame under the bath. Think that this can be repaired by welding.
Interior walls what can I do?

Thanks again and I do hope to hear from you soon.

Rodney Boyette urb2165@bellsouth.net
Here in Dillon, SC.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:46 PM   #246
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hey Rodney ~

Welcome aboard. Glad to see more '59 trailers being brought back to life again. Post some pix of both when you can.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:31 PM   #247
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
If one of these trailers has a spare tire, you can take the spare to a large scale tire and wheel shop and they should be able to either match the rim offset and bolt pattern or at least point you to another place that can. Do not expect them to remove a useable tire from a spilt rim. In some cases, they won't even let you take it out of your vehicle. They can measure it and should have a template to determine the bolt pattern.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #248
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dillon , South Carolina
Thank you for the advice
Old 06-15-2006, 11:30 PM   #249
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello A-Merry-Can ,
Looking really good .I noticed that you airstream has 60 style wheel wells ,like my 60 tradewind has ,interesting ,I don't remember though if the 59 had them or if it's california as mine is.

Scott
Old 06-28-2006, 09:34 AM   #250
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
those wheels are the crappy wagon wheels. once i get back on the wagon with it, i'll have to swap them out with some baby moons, and white wall tires! i've had to take a hiattus from the little guy this year. new baby, and our trade wind eat up all my time! we're camping every weekend for the next 2 months in it!

jp

Old 08-08-2006, 07:49 AM   #251
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
And i thought i quit...

... been sporatic at best on the Silver Pickle this year! every weekend i plan on working on it, i'm fixing what broke the weekend before on the trade wind! yes, i hate to admit it... 2 airstreams is a bit much...but as long as one's ready to hit the road, i've got the time! she's been relocated under the deck as well. stays nice and dry, and i can finally ditch the blue tarp that's been hanging over her for a year. BAD MOVE, by the way, the brand new aluminum upper skins have oxidized from the trapped moisture. it's nothing that won't buff out, but still frustrating none the less.

anyway, since the last post, i got the rear window in, got the front window sealed, new gaskets in the side windows. i'm saving the front window for after i strip off the remaining paint. i STILL can't believe some previous owner painted this trailer... oh well... i also put in all the remaining interior wall braces i had forgotten to reinstall after replacing all the skins. it's funny to think the only original skins left on this trailer are the end caps and top roof piece, that you can't see anyway! i'm still undecided as to whether or not i'm going to put any access hatches in it. they are indeed convenient, but the way the trailer looks right now is so clean and simple. i almost hate to alter it.

oh yeah, last night i fabricated the drip cap over the door, and plan on installing it later this afternoon... she's ALMOST waterproofed!! i'll post pics of that after she's in. i'm going to try to work on the tail lights as well. i've really been looking forward to that part. i got all the parts i need to put in recessed bargman #9s, rather than the 99s that stick out. the recessed dishes are unavailable, but i found some recessed truck lights about the right size on eBay. all i'll be using is the cups, not the lenses, with the #9 trim rings and lenses from vintage trailer supply. they look REALLY nice.

more soon!

jordan
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2006, 07:57 AM   #252
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
More on the rear window...

... like so many of her siblings, the rear window was long gone, frame and all... replaced by a really classy AC unit from home depot. NO GOOD! in my vain search for a replacement window frame for my trailer, the closest i could find was an early 60s window. they mount the same way at the top (with the angled piece of aluminum that slides in from the side). the windows apparently grew 3 inches in height in the early 60s, so i had to have them cut down and re-welded.

the problem is, they aren't as thick as the original frames, which makes them not seal against anything when closed. also, the mechanisms are totally different.

so... in the interest of NOT hacking up the original window frames any more than they've already been done, i'm thinking about leaving the window mechanisms off, and just installing a window lock on the bottom. as for sealing, i'm thinking about using that foam tape as a temporary fix, until i can come up with something better. the really nice thing about these late 50s window frames is, they are so thick, even if water gets by, it doesn't come over the edge of the frame into the trailer.. except in extreme circumstances.

more pics...
Attached Images