Old 01-06-2006, 10:09 PM   #211
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
The picture of condensation really shows what must be a longtime airstream problem. Two metal layers, sealed, with no ventalation, does not sound like a good idea. When I took the inner skins off of my Bambi I noticed a lot of oxidation in the aluminum and the elevatior bolts were very rusty. I imagine everybody has found the same thing. I had been thinking about what they do today when they redo a roof on a house. They install vents at the top of the roof and in the bottom so air can circulate for the purpose of removing moisture. Water vapor escaping from a house has always been a problem with exterior paint and wood rot,etc. I have not come up with what I would consider a good solution as of yet. But have had some thoughts. Most to date are too much work. Here goes on one thought. Each section between ribs in the shell should have ventelation. Two or three sections could be joined as a unit by drilling a 1" hole in the bottom and top of the ribs. Next there are small round vents with screened openings that are available for machine and electronic use. One or two of these could be mounted in holes in the "C" channel and through the plywood floor. This would allow fresh air to enter in the bottom of the wall sections. The top of the sections could be joined by tubing (1" in diameter) with hole in it for the air moving up between the sections. The air would be collected in this tube and exit into holes in the ribs around the top vent window. Then if the top vent window was left open a crack, this should allow a circulation of air between the walls. I was thinking of this method because I don't like the idea of putting any new holes for tubing to exit the top of the roof. That would just be asking for another leak. I am open to anyones ideas on a modification of this idea. Probably just getting carried away!!! If anyone is interested in such a maybe crazy idea, I might do a drawing.
Norcal, I would love to discuss this process at length. What do you think of the idea of starting a thread on the topic? That way we won't be hijacking JP's thread! I have the same condensation issues and I have my trailer apart, just about ready to put the floor back in.

Anyway, I would love to see a few drawings and a few other particulars about the type of parts to use, etc. It sounds an awful lot like the way I ventilated the roof on the new screen porch a few years back. What do you think?

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:46 AM   #212
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Howdy, Jim

Norcal, I would love to discuss this process at length. What do you think of the idea of starting a thread on the topic? That way we won't be hijacking JP's thread! I have the same condensation issues and I have my trailer apart, just about ready to put the floor back in.

Anyway, I would love to see a few drawings and a few other particulars about the type of parts to use, etc. It sounds an awful lot like the way I ventilated the roof on the new screen porch a few years back. What do you think?

Jim

My thread is "Floor replacement 63 Bambi", I have not make a post for a while because I am upgrading my computer. It should be ready in a few days. There are several things I have done lately to solve, I hope, the by-metal corrosion problem with the C channel and the steel bolts and screws. I will post comments and pics as soon as my compute is ready. Would it be OK to have discussions on my thread? I.m still looking for some small screened vents for the wall veneration situation.
Don

Old 01-09-2006, 01:18 PM   #213
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Don, Sounds good to me. I actually have your thread bookmarked, but I haven't read all the way thru yet.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 01-15-2006, 08:24 AM   #214
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Inner skin condensation

Jim and Susan, I've finally got my computer back up and running. How does "Inner skin condensation" sound for a new thread? I'm working on some 3D drawings of ideas on solving the problem. The more members that look at this problem and suggest ideas, the better the possibilities for a solution. We are fighting basic physics and nature here, so the results should be interesting.
I am going to go ahead and start a thread even though I don't have my ideas down yet. To see what comes up.
Don
Old 01-15-2006, 04:50 PM   #215
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Sounds cool. Probably just what we all need. I'll go have a look see.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 01-31-2006, 02:09 PM   #216
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Am I Nuts???

...and if i were, would any of you tell me? ha!

well, the Silver Pickle has a big brother now. i'm going to try the old camp in this one, restore that one routine... then flip em when the 18 footer is done. this trade wind was just in too good of shape to pass on. i'm running out of room, now! so this is IT, until i get that barn!

as for the '59, i have the parts i need coming next week to fabricate the missing window, then i'm planning on installing all 4 windows at once and start sealing up any remaining leaks... time to wake sleeping beauty from her winter slumber! (especially with this weather!)

jordan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1624.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	18060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1629.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	18061  

Name:	IMG_1631.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	18062   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1635.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	18063  

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:21 PM   #217
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Yes I'm afraid you are AlumiNuts

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:33 PM   #218
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Certifiably a nut case!! Congratulations on your second AS and welcome to TradeWind ownership. Now no touching the 24'er until the 18'er is done. Promise??

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:26 PM   #219
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Smile

jordon, two Airstreams, sounds great. What's another project? I have so many that I will have to live to be 200 to get half of them done. It's the Winchester Mystery House theme.
Don
Old 02-01-2006, 02:12 AM   #220
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
the goal is DEFINITELY to just fix what's broke on the trade wind, and get the 18 back together. with a new baby on the way, i really dig the tradewind layout. so does the misses. it's got a baby changing table built right into the cabinets. ha!

i promise this is IT... unless i find a good deal on a whale tail...

jp

Old 02-03-2006, 03:12 PM   #221
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
couldn't resist...

it was too nice of a day out today to NOT do something outside... so i peeled back the tarp, and cut in the curb-side window... once i get the glass in teh frame, and the window operator back on, i'll put on the eyebrow. more pics to follow... depending on what tomorrow brings...

jp
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1661.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	18169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1663.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	18170  

Old 02-03-2006, 04:40 PM   #222
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
The dilema

I go this weekend to pick up my "new" 63 Bambi. It needs work but it is a solid original. Today I found two, mind you two, small older Airstreams right here by my home. First one is a 65 Trade Wind and the other is ?? , a 22 footer, early 60's, I am not familiar with. Both have perfect bodies and absolutely trashed original interiors. Too many goodies here and I am greedy...then I look at the major work involved...see this thread...Maybe I can get the Bambi and work on the other(s)?
Old 02-03-2006, 08:01 PM   #223
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
How sweet it is! Sunshine the out of doors and Airstream work. It's been great here lately. I've been able to make the most progress in months.
Don
Old 02-03-2006, 11:37 PM   #224
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
We haven't had rain here in Phoenix in something like 120 days! Plus it's been in the 70's. Normally I prefer a little bit of rain, but not in the middle of an off-frame restoration