Old 12-18-2005, 11:23 AM   #197
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcferguson
Are you missing just the glass or the frame too?
that pic is the front window. the rear has a sheet of plexi gooped into the frame. ugly, to say the least! if it was glass, i wouldn't worry.

jp

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:05 PM   #198
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
jp -

Love the interior layout and the rounded edges are way cool. What program did you use to draw those up? Looks like Illustrator maybe?
yep! you know the tools!

Quote:

As for the missing window, what is the Hehr number on the window frame that's riveted to the shell? It's in the center of the bottom frame. Or is that part missing too?
the external frame iss till there. it's an HEHR 1009 185 395 (i assume the 185 395 are dimensions? 18 1/2" 39 1/2"?) just an educated guess.

Quote:
You know, if enough forums members were needing the parts, it may be worth all going in on it and stripping it down. Starting price is $200 but not met the reserve. I just don't have the room or I may be tempted.
i'm in for the rear window! if i put another POS airstream in teh yard now, though... the misses would make me live in it! ha!

jp

Old 12-18-2005, 02:30 PM   #199
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
JP -
You're right on the educated guess for window sizes. I've retreived two different ones from a demolished '60 Overlander in Colorado. Both have found new homes but neither were the size you're looking for. I'm still trying to figure out options about the Barstow Overlander. I know what you mean about the POS in the yard.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 05:07 PM   #200
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
I know what you mean about the POS in the yard.
ha! lemme tell ya... nothing depreciates a home's value more than this.... except maybe an engine block swingin from a tree... or maybe a school bus on blocks (with camo paint)...(note for those reading... DO NOT do this before you refinance your house... or the bank may come asking YOU for money!)

i can hear it now... you're gonna buy WHAT??? haven't you lernt nuthin, boy?

hahaha!

jp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1136.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	17153  

Old 12-18-2005, 05:40 PM   #201
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
ha! lemme tell ya... nothing depreciates a home's value more than this.... except maybe an engine block swingin from a tree... or maybe a school bus on blocks (with camo paint)...(note for those reading... DO NOT do this before you refinance your house... or the bank may come asking YOU for money!)

i can hear it now... you're gonna buy WHAT??? haven't you lernt nuthin, boy?

hahaha!

jp
Old major appliances and christmas lights after Easter are a nice touch, too.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:06 PM   #202
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
you know you're a redneck when you own more than 3 pairs of jack stands and they're all in use.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:47 PM   #203
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Is winter getting to me?

I guess I've been couped inside to long and am suffering from cabin fever. Or maybe its one of those senior moment kind of things. Well here goes. What do you all think of doing the inside of the outer shell and then the inside of the inner shell with Rhino Lining? We saw a fellow who did the entire outside of his custom Tear Drop trainer with Rino Lining. Not only did it look really good but it made his trailer water tight. I understand that Rhino Lining can be applied with several variation in finished surface qualities.

Ok guys, Take your best shots!!!
Don
Old 12-19-2005, 05:50 AM   #204
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
What do you all think of doing the inside of the outer shell and then the inside of the inner shell with Rhino Lining?
but if you put it on the outside, you'd never have to poish it!

ha!

seriously, i would think that would be a messy process. i've had good luck with alcoa sealer. that, and since i replaced all the skins with new, and vulkemed the crap outta them, i doubt i'll have leaks when all's said and done. i'm down to 2. both on the end caps. this week, if the weather stays nice, i plan on pulling the front window, and re-sealing everything. the rain on mine seems to wick into the seams on the end-caps and run down behind the frame on the front window... then into the trailer. when i do the window, i'll alcoa seal the outside seams with a seringe and a needle (right now, i've only sealed the inside seams).

once all that's done, i plan on shooting a nice coat of undercoating on the bare rivets (inside shell) just for good measure. everything we're talking about is 10X more than airstream originally did, so we're all good!

jp

Old 12-19-2005, 07:11 AM   #205
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Good Idea

[quote=NorCal Bambi] What do you all think of doing the inside of the outer shell and then the inside of the inner shell with Rhino Lining?

Good idea.
How much would it weigh? Other than how much will it cost, I always ask.
I see some SOB's have rubber roofs, sort of a membrane on top. They spray coatings on foundations too.
Could the spray include an insulator as well?

R
Old 12-19-2005, 10:29 PM   #206
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to dustyrhodes
"I understand that Rhino Lining can be applied with several variation in finished surface qualities."

What an interesting idea. I had though about Rhino for my very UV damaged bathtub, although I have decided now on White-Cote.

My truck is great with it - this is the second truck that I have done but I am now sure that I want it on my airstream although it may have some utility. I just want to polish

Rhino forever,
Jennifer
Old 12-28-2005, 04:19 PM   #207
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Jordan, I'm not thru reading all of your thread yet, but I've got a couple questions. Please forgive me if you've already answered these.

What did you use as sealant between the wheel wells and the frame? Is that a Parrbond or Sikaflex product? In my '73, there was a type of gasket material there, but I know I'll never find it.

Where did you buy your fresh water tank? I need a new one as the old one has stuff growing in it.

I have a more complicated question concerning the rear frame area, but it will have to wait until later tonight. If I understand your description of the outriggers back there, they are like mine and inadeqate to the task. If you don't mind, I'll post a pic or two and we can compare notes.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:58 AM   #208
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
The Slippery Slope

I have completed removing the interior from my '58. Tomorrow I start removing the lower interior skins in preparation for the body lift.

I've been amazed at how quickly I've been getting things done so far... with any luck I'll be done with the floor replacement and have the interior reinstalled by March

Thanks for all the great information in this thread!
Old 01-02-2006, 06:18 AM   #209
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Jordan, I'm not thru reading all of your thread yet, but I've got a couple questions. Please forgive me if you've already answered these.

What did you use as sealant between the wheel wells and the frame? Is that a Parrbond or Sikaflex product? In my '73, there was a type of gasket material there, but I know I'll never find it.
no problem, jim. on the wheelwells, i just used vulkem. on my trailer, it does not have an inner fender. the skin on the outside is the fender wall. i've noticed on some larger trailers, there's a second fender in there. when i mounted my walls, i put a generous bead of vulkem on the tabs, then after it dried, i ran another bead on the inside as well. i also filled the gaps between the belly pan and the outriggers at both ends of the wheel well. i think it's sealed about as good as can be!

Quote:

Where did you buy your fresh water tank? I need a new one as the old one has stuff growing in it.
eBay. i've decided to change the location of it since i bought it, though. i was orriginally going to have it hanging down below the pan, but have since changed my mind, and will now be putting it under the bed. i hope the size i have will fit.

Quote:
I have a more complicated question concerning the rear frame area, but it will have to wait until later tonight. If I understand your description of the outriggers back there, they are like mine and inadeqate to the task. If you don't mind, I'll post a pic or two and we can compare notes.
post away. the only problem i found with the additional outriggers i installed is it makes the rear belly pan look a little thicker behind the wheel well until it passes the outrigger. it's very negligable, but worth note. look really closely at the attached pic and you can seewhere it tapers down to the tail a little later than the original. like i said, you really have to look for it, but worth mentioning, none-the-less.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1506.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	17402  

Old 01-02-2006, 06:20 AM   #210
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankornuta
I have completed removing the interior from my '58. Tomorrow I start removing the lower interior skins in preparation for the body lift.

I've been amazed at how quickly I've been getting things done so far... with any luck I'll be done with the floor replacement and have the interior reinstalled by March

Thanks for all the great information in this thread!
best of luck with it! like everything in life, sometimes what seems like the simplest project takes forever! on the other side of that coin, though, i replaced 3 panels in a day, even though i thought i'd be there all weekend.

the hard work is quite reewarding, though. you can't deny that.

jp