Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2015, 07:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Jacksonville , Florida
Steel to Aluminum frame

Aside from the initial cost of building a new frame out of AL, what would be the negatives? Is structural integrity going to be a problem? Has anyone done this yet?

Thank you!
Andy
Andy Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Will not be as stiff unless you upsize the members, which you could do given the weight savings.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Steel to Aluminum frame

They discussed this on the VAP a couple of weeks ago. Collin Hyde stated that when they do things like this in the car mod world, they increase the thickness of the metal by 50% for added strength. It think it's a great idea overall.

I saw a post here on the forums where some one made a frame out of SS. Talk about a frame that will out live you!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=322122
Old 11-12-2015, 07:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
I do like the idea of the frame never touching the wood floor, since you asked for issue here are the ones I know.

Aluminum has the same issues with water as steel does. It is also more sacrificial next to zinc on the galvanic scale. There are stories of construction wire being left inside of aluminum boats, those boats develop leaks.

For strength aluminum needs to be thicker which tends to eliminate the weight savings.

From what I can see, AS construction issues are based on fresh water intrusion control (from all sides).
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
What about carbon fiber? Will that bond or attach properly - could get strength and weight benefit
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cassopolis , Michigan
The reasons for increased thickness of aluminum structures compared to steel are basically twofold: strength and stiffness. The yield strength of 6061-T6 aluminum (your most logical choice) is only slightly lower than the steel of the trailer, which I assume to be low carbon steel. However, aluminum is about 3x as "springy" as steel of the same thickness. Bottom line is that your trailer's body and other parts might bend excessively on an aluminum frame the same thickness of your steel one due to increased operational deflections. Likewise, your interior walls, floor, and other parts could also suffer from the increased movement. Therefore, you would likely increase aluminum frame thickness by a factor of 1.5-2, resulting in a potential weight saving of around 20-25% for the frame. I have to raise a question: why in the world would you want an aluminum frame?
biyak269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by biyak269 View Post
The reasons for increased thickness of aluminum structures compared to steel are basically twofold: strength and stiffness. The yield strength of 6061-T6 aluminum (your most logical choice) is only slightly lower than the steel of the trailer, which I assume to be low carbon steel. However, aluminum is about 3x as "springy" as steel of the same thickness. Bottom line is that your trailer's body and other parts might bend excessively on an aluminum frame the same thickness of your steel one due to increased operational deflections. Likewise, your interior walls, floor, and other parts could also suffer from the increased movement. Therefore, you would likely increase aluminum frame thickness by a factor of 1.5-2, resulting in a potential weight saving of around 20-25% for the frame. I have to raise a question: why in the world would you want an aluminum frame?
Stiffness, not strength, is the issue when replacing steel structures with aluminum. Steel modulus is 29E6 compared to 10E6 for aluminum.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I always thought the reason for an aluminum frame was avoiding rusting. I have assumed that aluminum corrodes at a much slower rate than steel rusts. Is this correct?
Old 11-13-2015, 06:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
That is true, but if steel lasts thirty years in the worst of cases....

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #10
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
They make transport truck frames of aluminum so it is possible. Reason not to do it, mostly cost.

There is a trailer manufacturer near here that sends out all their chassis to be galvanized. You see galvanized trailers all over the place now, Home Depot sells them. You could probably get a new heavy duty chassis made by a trailer manufacturer and galvanized, it would last indefinitely.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:06 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Jacksonville , Florida
Thanks everyone. I am doing a frame off resto. It was just a thought about the AL frame. I have a buddy who owns an AL fabricating shop. That's why I asked. I spoke with him the other day and he said he just opened a steel shop also and moved to a bigger location for full fabrication/restorations. I am currently gutting the AS and pulling all the belly pans off. I work 10 hour days minimum so not much time in the evenings for more work. I'm trying to do the easy stuff and then when it comes to the shell, I'll leave it to him and his team. seeing as he will be making my new frame.

Thanks again for the info guys.
Andy Moreau
Old 11-15-2015, 11:10 AM   #12
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Ist question - How long did the original frame last? How long do you want the new one to last?

A stock type steel frame, protected with the best rust proof paint, or the type of paint used on seagoing ships, will last twice as long as a stock one.

Have it galvanized and the life will be indefinite. Possibly 50 - 100 years.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Jacksonville , Florida
I will bring this to my welders attention when he arrives. May as well do it right the first time!
Old 11-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Build it out of steel, once it is done and one Soild piece have the whole frame hot dipped galvanized. After that, acid wash it, and paint it with poor 15. That should last a little while!
Old 11-16-2015, 06:44 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Jacksonville , Florida
Hmm that sounds expensive.... I mean, there is a point of me rerun as far as money goes.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Jacksonville , Florida
I don't want to spend as much as a coach or even a new airstream would cost. I don't mind walking from this with 16-20k into it total, because I believe I can get that out of it so long as I do the major things right and take care of it for the time that I have it. Would you all agree?
Old 11-17-2015, 06:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
It's all up to you! I still like the idea of an aluminum frame. I would expect it to last much longer. Have your friend run a cost comparison steel VS aluminum.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:45 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moreau View Post
I will bring this to my welders attention when he arrives. May as well do it right the first time!
Andy, often rust starts at the weld site. Have your welder spray all weldments, while they are still hot, with a good primer paint. This will help prevent the weld from pulling in moist air as it cools.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Steel to Aluminum frame

It will also cause a small flash fire.....

If I were making a new frame I would use 2" X 5" rectangular tube for the rails and for some of the cross members, the balance in 2" X 4" channel.

It would be steel, and barring a bad accident it would last many decades.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote