Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Rochester , New Hampshire
Stabilizers

Anyone know where the best location is to install the two stabilizers closest to the hitch?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	192509  
Pluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
You should be able to see the rivet line where the first crossmember is. That's where I put my stabilizers, with the long axis of the stabilizer along the crossmember and the "T" of the stabilizer along the frame rail.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Thank you for the quick reply! I forgot to mention these are to be installed on a 31' sovereign. The rear ones were a no-brainer as there is only one logical spot to install these which is the first available cross member. This puts them about half way between the rear bumper and the rear wheel. Makes good sense I suppose.

Now I'm new to this and haven't even gone camping with my new old airstream as restoration is well underway. Don't you put the camper down on the tongue lift when you go to park it? If so, the most flex to be had is now between the front tires and the tongue right? So wouldn't I want to sure it up at the half way point? Thinking of it like a bridge with sag in the middle...curious...
Old 08-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
That's logical, if it's a longer trailer you might want to put them on the 2nd crossmember, depending on where that is and what else is there. I think the difference will be small, the main thing the stabilizers do is take out the "spring" from the suspension, but since cranking one down too tightly can flex the frame enough to make the door stick, they probably restrict some structural flexion as well. Just be sure there's convenient access to the hex drive on the end of the rod and that the crossmember is sound. On my 28' trailer they're on the first crossmember. I installed them on the 24' myself, so I put them on that first one. I think as long as nothing is in the way of the shaft, either location should work. I don't see a reference in my service manual for a location, there's just a diagram of the stabilizer itself.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 08-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Well, I chose the second cross member this seamed to be an excellent common denominator and an intersection of a few things. The tongue ends at this point and the domed front of the trailer also begins here. The underbelly was a little loose here and I was able to see the frame really well. After my visual inspection it was on! And the rivet clue was a great one as I drew a straight line right over them to center both stabilizers. I used a car jack to hold them up while I drilled the holes through the belly and frame. If I could throw a tip in, I used and empty six pack folded flat to cushion the stabilizer as my jack was scratching the finish a bit. This annoyed me and I just used what was close by. Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy will leave your stabilizers unscathed:-) Drilled my holes and bolted them in using the provided screws and some Loctite. Anyways everything went smoothly and i totally appreciate the help on this! The camper is rock solid now and I'm very happy with results. Thank you again kind sir for taking the time to steer my in the right direction!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1579531629.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	492.4 KB
ID:	192574
Old 08-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Heh... Looking at where your stabilizer is installed, I think we were talking about the same point. I should have said the first FULL crossmember, the one after the tongue joins the frame rails. Yours are about where mine are with respect to the front of the trailer.

I was kinda disappointed when I first installed mine... I didn't think they made that much difference. Then I put new axles under the trailer, and I could REALLY tell the difference between stabilizers up and stabilizers down when walking through the trailer.