Old 02-02-2008, 04:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Advantech

If I were replacing any trailer floor I would use only one product..ADVANTECH. Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #16
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
with that statement you couldn't give a link?

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
with that statement you couldn't give a link?
Advantech is a moisture resistant OSB that is geared to the tract building industry. It allows longer duration between installation and final exterior finish installation... but it is still OSB.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:23 AM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I realize throughout history, man has been looking at better ways to do things... a wheel made from rubber instead of wood that replaced the stone one, Fire from the flick of the thumb instead of banging two rocks together or rubbing two sticks together, I just hope that these new floor products are well thought out. The floor is basically 1/3 rd of the entire structure of the trailer. All the parts of the mono-quote form support each other. If any one part fails, the rest will also. I still do not believe that Airstream uses OSB in their trailers, next thing I'll hear is the Santa was my parents. Anyone that has ever built a house knows what trash that product is. I used it as sheathing on my addition recently. It is only there to give the vapor barrier something to fasten to and to catch the occasional siding nail that missed a stud. Plywood gets it's strength through even plys of strong wood stacked up in opposing layers. All these other boards use compressed fibers to make up the board. True that I have not personally investigated these boards, I am only going on my experience with sheet goods in the past. Yes, they build houses out of OSB so it must have some use, however a new house today can also be entered through any side wall with nothing but a razor knife.
Fir plywood worked great for a lot of years, it was replaced with OSB when the cost of production became an issue... it was used to cut corners. I do not think it would have been something Wally would have done. I am fairly sure he actually would be pissed off about it's use. Hey, but what do I know? Wally has been dead longer than I have been alive, I make all these assumptions about what would Wally do by study and learning of what he did do....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:33 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
I realize throughout history, man has been looking at better ways to do things...
Today's technology allows for manufacture of products that are far superior to those of 40 years ago... the key is to determine WHY they are superior.

Products such as OSB are superior in that they allow for the more efficient use of the tree... yielding a less expensive end product. If this is your goal, OSB is a superior product to plywood.

My goal is to use a product that satisfies the structural requirements of my trailer's construction and is superior in it's resistance the particular environment my trailer will live in. If I (we) lived in Arizona this would be different than it is here in Wisconsin. Of course the cost is a factor, but not on the top of the list.

Frank... to put your mind at ease, Santa is not your parents and the spirit of Wally is still with us.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:08 AM   #20
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Nope. Floors were 1/2" plywood. Pretty thin at that. A small number of the Minuets had an aluminum honeycomb sandwich floor similar to skin panels of the B-58 bomber of the time. It was light -- some worked out, others didn't. I believe you had to baby it. Member overlander64's Minuet may still have that floor. We all wish they'd have continued the experiment.
I wish they would switch over to nomex honeycomb composite flooring which is currently used in aerospace. We would never see rotting again!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:10 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
Good Information

Thanks to everyone for the leads. I will be steering away from the OSB and plywoods for now. The whole idea is to use a material that does three things (if possible).
1. No off-gassing
2. Relieve the trailer of some of its original weight
3. No floor rot.

I may have a way to get around the off-gassing by detailing the floor assembly in a way that seals the outside air from the interior above the sub-floor. But, that is gonna be alot of work with a rivet gun.

Thank you,

1949 Spartan Mansion (30')
at_wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote