Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2003, 07:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Fort Collins , Colorado
Soft floor

Hi,
Purchased a 1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0. Floor is soft near entryway and in hallway. I am assuming water damage to the floor. My plan of action is to remove the vinyl floor and then cut out the bad flooring, replacing it with an appropriate thickness of plywood. Does this sound right? also, anyone know the thickness of the original floors. Thanks
kenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 09:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Ken,

Welcome to the forums!! I have a 78 Minuet, be aware that the floor material in the Minuets is just a hair over a half inch in thickness. It definitely has a bit more give than the 3/4 inch floor that is in my Overlander. I guess they did it to cut down on weight. There is another forum member who has a Minuet with some sort of aluminum floor but I think it is a one-of-a-kind unit.
The soft spot by your door could be a bit of rot, this is probably the most rot prone area on any A/S. Water intrusion is the cause of most floor woes. I would do my best at patching and then do the entire floor in some sort of Pergo-like flooring, it will give it some added strength as long as you are not worried about extra weight, which I feel is negligible. There are quite a few of us Minuet owners around here so don't be a stranger.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 06:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
When you get the linoleum up you will see the screw lines where the floor supports are. You can use a circular saw set to a little light on 1/2" and/or a chisel to remove the bad area. I would seal all the edges and bottom (especially in that area) to keep moisuture out of the new plywood.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote