Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB International
Courtright , Ontario
Angry Soft Floor

I have a 2014 Flying Cloud Bunk Bed. My wife and I use are trailer almost every other week from early spring to late fall. We have been seeing an area in front of the bunk beds getting softer and softer.
I had the trailer in the shop for an inverter that stopped working. I asked them to check the floor for water damage. They told me it was soft because of where the seams are in the floor. Not to worry about it.. I am still worried about it.
We have had a number of problems with this trailer from day one.. We bought it from the dealer just over 1 year ago. There is a long list of problems we have had with it. some of them are
1) The HDMI cable that went to one of the TV was broken on pick up. They said that they would fi it. They way they fixed it was to drill holes through the upper cabinets and run it that way. They told me you would never see it. The holes they drilled are about a 2" hole Looks like ****
2) the front jack stopped working. they replaced it then it stopped working again.
3) We have had a number of rivets fall out of the ceiling
4) The Bathroom fan has stopped working
5) One of the tail lights stopped working (it is LED)
6) the battery's have been replaced because they where fried for no reason
7) the invertor died
8) the floor is now soft and told not to worry about it
This is are 2nd airstream we had a 2014 23' international and had no problems at all.

Dose anyone have any ideas to find out on my own if the floor has water damage or not.
Bryan Childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
You can buy a moisture meter, fairly inexpensive, and push the probes through the flooring in the soft spot. That will tell you how much moisture is in the wood below the tile. Also do another spot for comparison as all wood contains some moisture.

I have this one, which I have been told is a decent meter
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s01
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Is your unit's warranty run out?
You aren't that far from CanAM RV. Have them check it out. If you have noticed the softness expanding you may have water damage. Get the moisture meter to confirm.

Kelvin
Old 09-21-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB International
Courtright , Ontario
I have brought it to Can-Am and was told t to worry about it. I am going to try a meter and see what it says.
Bryan Childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Hmm, I would've thought CanAm would've been able to diagnose this issue better. If you have noticed the change getting worse even if it ends up not being water damage it might be how the floor is attached and that would deserve a warranty ticket. Keep after them before the warranty expires. Sorry you are having these issues.

Kelvin
Old 10-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
1968 26' Overlander
Strawn , Texas
Bryan,

I have a 2013 Bunkhouse and had immense issues with the floor in the high traffic areas. From the front of the stove down the hall and out the door my floor began sagging enough that if you didn't watch your step, you would literally trip over the support beams running width wise across the floor as they were that much higher than the low points. This will not get better by itself and it is not anything you did. I never got a straight answer from airstream and I have the emails somewhere back and forth from me to the corporate quality representative (since retired, and needed to). He agreed to ship 'additional bracing' to the dealership and have the home office visit with the technician at my dealership on the instruction on install. I think they removed the lower casing, jacked the floor and welded in the square tube bracing sent by corporate. It improved the issue immediately, but didn't eliminate the sagging all the way. 6 months or so has gone by and the wood subfloor has returned to 95% flat condition. Get this done now, while in warranty. Don't put it off and let the warranty run out. They know they have a problem. Funny they had that pre fabricated bracing right on hand. I'm sorry, but you are going to have to pull out the ugly on them before they will act.

Bill Tackett
Hadranbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:12 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
1968 26' Overlander
Strawn , Texas
The bathroom fan motor is a standard DC motor, can be bought almost anywhere. Mine went out and I had them replace it during warranty. After the tech showed me, I could have done it easily. Don't know about the battery or inverter, haven't had that problem, and the HDMI....let me guess....it's in the bunkhouse..... I haven't conquered that one yet.....if it's like mine the mount, when latched, bends the cable at the head where it goes into the TV. I've read articles about soldering another one on, and it looked extremely challenging. And I'm not drilling holes. I wonder how they got past the bathroom anyway???
Hadranbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I do not have the same trailer, however; I have been watching a new sag in my floor and done the meter thing, even bought a second meter to check. I have not gotten a bad reading so, I am inclined to go with what others are saying about "joist" space. I kept a Dometic full size ice maker in my spot during my 3000 mile trip. I hope it is only sag- like you. No one wants rot- in warranty or otherwise. Don't jump out of the bunk!