Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Calgary , Alberta
"Soft"entry threshold.

I started tonight... I pulled the old pink shag up on my '79 sovereign and 4"-5"directly in front of the door is soft. The rest of the subfloor is solid and passed the awl test. The rest of the floor is CLEARLY 33 years old but solid other than some creaks when I walk on it (300 pounder so it may be my knees that are creaking!) The soft spot does not extend more than an inch on either side of the door frame and is actually wet from snow melt over the past week or so. From the looks of things I think I can remove the lower door frame, cut out the soft area and patch with a new piece of 3/4" plywood. Treat the whole area of the patch with epoxy, lay a new 1/4" subfloor overlay and then lay a laminate floor to the rear bath then tile or similar.

Does anyone have experience with this and/or can advise on the do-ability of my plan?

Remove door frame base
Remove soft/wet area (5"x30")
Replace with new 3/4" plywood
Sheet entire old floor with 1/4" plywood
(Possible epoxy coat new material)
Lay new laminate floor / tile floor

Enjoy the trailer like it is meant to be used.
Loeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I expect that your door frame is one continuous piece that goes around the entire perimeter of the door. The lower section is probably not removeable without cutting, and this is not what you want to do.

Cut out the rotten spot being careful not to damage tanks or cross members. Either use an oscillating cutter, or a circular saw set to cut no deeper than the depth of the floor. Your cross members are 24" on center and identifiable by a seem where two panels meet, or a row of screws. Remove the screws in the lower door frame that go into the plywood so that the newly cut out rotten section can be pulled out from under the door frame. You will have to install wood pieces on the underside of the existing sub floor to support the new patch. The squarer you can cut out your rotten floor, the better, as it will allow you to get a tight fit with the patch. Installation is the reverse of removal--getting the new piece under the door frame will be challenging, but don't resort to cutting the door frame.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Dont forget to fix the door seals too if you dont want to do this again!
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I would saturate the affected area with epoxy glue which has been thinned 1:1 with xylene to make it penetrate the punky plywood and then use woven fiberglass mat and epoxy over the topside (maybe two or three layers) to restore the strength.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
I called these folks and they sent me the right product to fix my limited soft areas.

Wood preservation, rot repair, and restoration using epoxy resin on boats, homes and log homes.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
If you decide to use penetrating epoxy, you need to get the area completely dry, and fix the leak, before applying the penetrating epoxy. The fumes are very strong. You need an appropriate respirator also if you decide to use penetrating epoxy.