Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #1061
3 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
jefferson , Oregon
Toastie, how did you attache them? One side lays down on the main frame rail and the other two ends attach to the outriggers right?. ON one of my fenders The side that is over the main frame rail has holes in it but no hole in the frame. Cant figure that one out. Are they just suppose to sandwich between the floor and the frame. thanks
Stanley29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:39 PM   #1062
3 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
jefferson , Oregon
Fenders that is
Old 03-18-2016, 08:36 AM   #1063
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley29 View Post
Fenders that is
See post 158, notice the holes on the side of the wheel tubs (fenders) The wheel tubs get fasten to the outside skin with rivets on my model. And yes the tubs set on top of the frame and plywood floor on top. Be careful on your assembly sequence.

toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:47 AM   #1064
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
It's time to re-polish the trailer again, it's been 4 years. Always trying something new when it comes to polishing and I have hit on something that I really like. Went with Bright Work Polish and finding it superior to Nuvite C, very little black residue. Applying Bright Works with Liberon #0000 steel wool by hand. Then using loose cotton wheel 10" from caswellplating.com with the Dewalt.

Liberon is the best steel wool currently on the market. Unlike other steel wool brands, Liberon treats the steel wool after manufacture to remove the oil used in the manufacturing process. Will not crumble.

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffing-polishing.html
http://www.brightworkpolish.com

toastie
Old 04-16-2016, 08:44 AM   #1065
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
It's time to re-polish the trailer again, it's been 4 years. Always trying something new when it comes to polishing and I have hit on something that I really like. Went with Bright Work Polish and finding it superior to Nuvite C, very little black residue. Applying Bright Works with Liberon #0000 steel wool by hand. Then using loose cotton wheel 10" from caswellplating.com with the Dewalt.

Liberon is the best steel wool currently on the market. Unlike other steel wool brands, Liberon treats the steel wool after manufacture to remove the oil used in the manufacturing process. Will not crumble.

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffing-polishing.html
http://www.brightworkpolish.com

toastie
I've always read you shouldn't use stainless steel on aluminum because the steel can become imbedded into the softer metal and cause rust spots and corrosion. You might want to try a fine plastic pad instead.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:59 AM   #1066
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytwo1994 View Post
I've always read you shouldn't use stainless steel on aluminum because the steel can become imbedded into the softer metal and cause rust spots and corrosion. You might want to try a fine plastic pad instead.

Carol

Yes, I have read the same on the forum and found out it's not true. I removed 4 coats of paint on the inside using cheap steel wool and not one problem. The steel wool that I'm using on the outside is Liberon #0000 grade steel wool is the finest grade made. This is the stuff that first made Liberon's well-deserved international reputation. It's fabulous for rubbing out a shellac or varnish finish, applying waxes, and other applications like that. It's also good for polishing metals such as bronze, copper, chrome, etc. and for cleaning (with soapy water) porcelain, marble and glass. The steel is one continuous run and does not crumble like the cheap stuff you buy at your local hardware.

toastie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.gif
Views:	152
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	260896   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	260897  

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	260898  
Old 04-17-2016, 08:36 AM   #1067
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Slow floor replacement

It's the best steel wool out there, I use it for many things. Including cleaning aluminum.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #1068
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Liberon steel wool is now on my shopping list.

Based on those recommendations I think I'll give it a try on some aluminum. I have some wood working to do soon and will need some steel wool for that anyway. Maybe it won't make such a mess as the normal stuff does.

Thanks,
Carol
Old 04-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #1069
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Encinitas , California
Hi Toastie,

I have followed your thread from the beginning have been consistently impressed. I see you are currently looking. I can't wait for the next one.

Could you possibly post a video of your new polishing technique? Do you use compound with the cotton wheel? Any other finish technique like using a Cyclo?

Star-Man
Star-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #1070
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Finished my polishing today......

toastie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	480.0 KB
ID:	262683  
Old 05-17-2016, 01:26 PM   #1071
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Very smart looking
Old 05-17-2016, 02:55 PM   #1072
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Nice job there, Toastie!

Cheers
Steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:35 AM   #1073
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
Nice job there, Toastie!

Cheers
Steve
thanks Steve, hope everthing going good for you.....

toastie
Old 05-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #1074
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
The trailer looks great. I've read of others recommending the bright works polish and also the polishing bars you can pick up at a full service truck stop.

Carol
Old 05-22-2016, 07:52 PM   #1075
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I had the pleasure of seeing Toastie's (Steve) gorgeous Airstream this weekend at the TCT Gathering in Milford, MI. Let me tell you this....the pictures here don't do this beauty justice! I had the honor of judging Silver Palaces at the Gathering, and immediately recognized Steve's trailer. Especially since his air conditioner tutorial was used in my own trailer several years ago. I wish I had more time to admire his trailer during the open house. I was so impressed by his trailer & was so happy that he won first place in the Silver Palace division. It's especially great because he did all the work himself (which I knew through this forum). Sometimes people win & didn't do any of the work themselves, which I can't think is fair---but I'm happy Steve won. Congratulations, Steve (Toastie to me!) You deserve this recognition for the beauty of your trailer & also all the help you have so generously given so many of us on this forum!

Becky B.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:11 PM   #1076
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B. View Post
I had the pleasure of seeing Toastie's (Steve) gorgeous Airstream this weekend at the TCT Gathering in Milford, MI. Let me tell you this....the pictures here don't do this beauty justice! I had the honor of judging Silver Palaces at the Gathering, and immediately recognized Steve's trailer. Especially since his air conditioner tutorial was used in my own trailer several years ago. I wish I had more time to admire his trailer during the open house. I was so impressed by his trailer & was so happy that he won first place in the Silver Palace division. It's especially great because he did all the work himself (which I knew through this forum). Sometimes people win & didn't do any of the work themselves, which I can't think is fair---but I'm happy Steve won. Congratulations, Steve (Toastie to me!) You deserve this recognition for the beauty of your trailer & also all the help you have so generously given so many of us on this forum!

Becky B.

Hi Becky B.

I know who you are now by looking at your 1964 Airstream Bambi II picture. I have read your thread and what a great job you did. Hope your going to the fall outing in Milford, would like to talk and take a tour of your beautiful Airstream. Thanks very much for your kind words. Looking for another Airstream to restore.

toastie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	263226  
Old 05-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #1077
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
Hi Becky B.

I know who you are now by looking at your 1964 Airstream Bambi II picture. I have read your thread and what a great job you did. Hope your going to the fall outing in Milford, would like to talk and take a tour of your beautiful Airstream. Thanks very much for your kind words. Looking for another Airstream to restore.

toastie
I know how it is when you meet someone at a rally & have no idea of who they are until you look at the forums or Facebook. I had that happen to me last weekend too! Afraid I won't be at the fall outing. But hopefully we'll be there again next Spring. I knew your trailer belonged to you for sure when I looked at your air conditioner!(I followed your tutorial & it works great!) I knew it was very familiar! I was up on the hill, but my daughter was in the next circle over. I was hoping to talk with you after the whole open house was over, but I didn't see you outside. I started on a new project as well. Not an AS, but an Avion. Not a oldie (1988) but a goodie. Good luck finding a new project. I'm sure it'll be spectacular!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:50 AM   #1078
3 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
jefferson , Oregon
Toastie,
I also switched from the 4 inch original drop to a straight axle and my girl was sitting too high….maybe not for an Africa trip but for trips around the US. I went to NAPA and got 2" lowering blocks. $40 and an easy install. She looks perfect now
Old 06-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #1079
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley29 View Post
Toastie,
I also switched from the 4 inch original drop to a straight axle and my girl was sitting too high….maybe not for an Africa trip but for trips around the US. I went to NAPA and got 2" lowering blocks. $40 and an easy install. She looks perfect now
My gray and black water tanks where dropped 4", could be a clearanced problem with a dropped axle .........toastie
Old 07-12-2016, 01:43 PM   #1080
3 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
jefferson , Oregon
Toast,
I noticed you have the same antenna as I do on my 54 cruiser. Only problem is mine is missing and there are just two holes. Was yours a replacement or was it there when you bought her? Thanks, Stanley29

Tags
1955 safari, floor, redo