Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #575
Rivet Master
 
pbearsailor's Avatar

 
1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 863
That is a really great looking handle, Toastie!

I had a set of those waste hose castings arrive in the mail a couple of days ago. They're pretty nice.

cheers,
steve
__________________

__________________
Forum Thread: First She Had to Take a Ride on a Boat

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #576
Rivet Master
 
toastie's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
That is a really great looking handle, Toastie!

I had a set of those waste hose castings arrive in the mail a couple of days ago. They're pretty nice.

cheers,
steve
Thanks Steve,
If you received the same castings that I did, the thin wall pvc from Home Depot or Lowes will not work, the inner dia is to small, there is a thinner wall that you will need. I found the thinner wall at Tractor Trailer supplies and still had to modify the hose connection just a little to make it work, I really like the set up................toastie
__________________

__________________
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #577
4 Rivet Member
 
1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 265
toastie,

I've read your entire thread over the past couple days. It was like reading a good novel.

Thank you for taking the time to share so many pictures, products, resources and so much valuable information.

Your trailer is amazing!! Keep up the good work.
__________________
Lew TAC #WI-6
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody.
driftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #578
Rivet Master
 
pbearsailor's Avatar

 
1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
Thanks Steve,
If you received the same castings that I did, the thin wall pvc from Home Depot or Lowes will not work, the inner dia is to small, there is a thinner wall that you will need. I found the thinner wall at Tractor Trailer supplies and still had to modify the hose connection just a little to make it work, I really like the set up................toastie
Thanks, toastie. That'll save me from some errors I'm sure.

steve
__________________
Forum Thread: First She Had to Take a Ride on a Boat

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #579
Rivet Master
 
toastie's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftless View Post
toastie,

I've read your entire thread over the past couple days. It was like reading a good novel.

Thank you for taking the time to share so many pictures, products, resources and so much valuable information.

Your trailer is amazing!! Keep up the good work.
thanks very much.............toastie
__________________
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #580
Rivet Master
 
toastie's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,458
Added Bal 24002D 7500lb per jack heavy-duty steel scissor jacks designed for RV's. They bolt on the frame with large lag screws, and can lift the trailer to level if necessary. They tuck up out of sight unless you look directly under the trailer, they do run up and down quickly with a socket on the end of a cordless drill.
I could actually raise the wheel up off the ground using the two jacks on one side convienient for changing a tire.

toastie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	113535   Click image for larger version

Name:	s2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	113536  

Click image for larger version

Name:	s3.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	113537  
__________________
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #581
4 Rivet Member
 
kevinb's Avatar
 
1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 405
Thanks Toastie one more thing to spend my money on. I had myself talked out of bal jacks but never thought about the ability to easily change a tire so guess Ill bite the bullet. At least Im a long way from that.
Kevin
__________________
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #582
Rivet Master
 
toastie's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
Thanks Toastie one more thing to spend my money on. I had myself talked out of bal jacks but never thought about the ability to easily change a tire so guess Ill bite the bullet. At least Im a long way from that.
Kevin
No problem Kevinb, Bal jacks are made in America and they are a great product. Camping World had them on sale for $69.00 a pair and I called the local General RV store and they matched the price, no shipping cost.

toastie
__________________
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #583
Rivet Master
 
toastie's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,458
Added tank holder, lp regulator and tanks today, going to be a very tight fit on the sway bar controls.......toastie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tankholder1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	113779   Click image for larger version

Name:	tankholder2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	113780  

__________________
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #584
Rivet Master
 
fastrob's Avatar
 
1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 545
Beautiful Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
Added Bal 24002D 7500lb per jack heavy-duty steel scissor jacks designed for RV's. They bolt on the frame with large lag screws, and can lift the trailer to level if necessary. They tuck up out of sight unless you look directly under the trailer, they do run up and down quickly with a socket on the end of a cordless drill.
I could actually raise the wheel up off the ground using the two jacks on one side convienient for changing a tire.

toastie
It is such a pleasure to see your work.
Thanks.
One noteworthy concern is the ability of those jacks to twist a frame, especially by a enthusiastic newbie with a high torque battery powered driver. My frame was minimally designed and has rusted further, being therefore weak. Just a friendly word of caution from an admirer.
__________________
"Talk is cheap, Airstreams are expensive," Wally Byam.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:21 AM   #585
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
 
Frank's Trailer Works's Avatar
 
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,547
Images: 2
I too would second that notion.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:42 AM   #586
Rivet Master
 
toastie's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrob View Post
It is such a pleasure to see your work.
Thanks.
One noteworthy concern is the ability of those jacks to twist a frame, especially by a enthusiastic newbie with a high torque battery powered driver. My frame was minimally designed and has rusted further, being therefore weak. Just a friendly word of caution from an admirer.
Thanks very much Fastrob for your kind words. The frame between the front and rear scissor jacks seems to be in great shape, in the below pictures you can see that a piece of angle has been added and was surprised that not all 1955's has this piece. I do agree that when leveling, raise very slowly one side, level and stabilize.

toastie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frame1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	114193   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	114194  

Click image for larger version

Name:	frame3.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	114195  
__________________
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #587
Rivet Master
 
toastie's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,458
steel wheels, baby moons and tires

Went with new Dexstar black steel wheels, baby moons and new tires. They sold the wheels and baby moons as a set. The tires are Maxxis M8008 225/75/15 E/10 rating.

Chrome Baby Moon Hub Cap
M8008 ST Radial

toastie
__________________
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #588
4 Rivet Member
 
kevinb's Avatar
 
1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
Added tank holder, lp regulator and tanks today, going to be a very tight fit on the sway bar controls.......toastie
Just got my 40 lb tanks fitted w/new valves and filled w/gas for 104.00, pretty good deal,but the circular bar the tanks set in is bent so I made need a new set up (for the 64 tw) How do you like yours and where did you get it?
By the way got the bal jacks at camping world like you suggested still on sale for 69.99 a pair plus used a 50.00 gift cert in the mail so 2 pair for 100.00 pretty cool huh? So thanks for the tip on the jacks.

kevin
__________________

__________________
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1955 safari, floor, redo


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Floor Replacement ????'s daveinbama Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 11 12-13-2010 11:11 AM
Shell On Floor Replacement Can-O-Pabst Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 5 10-11-2007 05:03 PM
another floor replacement question durans54 Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 32 02-01-2007 12:29 PM
Floor replacement Over59 1960 - 1964 Overlander 5 09-12-2004 01:24 AM
floor replacement daves clipper Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 18 01-04-2004 06:26 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.