Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2008, 03:15 PM   #221
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
You've got a great plan, already. Nice box--a little bigger than usual, but it sure gives you the ability to go GFCI without having to do it "backwards."

One thing I've noticed in my Overlander is a dearth of outlets up front, especially around the door (on the inside). I would also recommend an outlet outside on the street side and one outside on the front.

Zep
Old 11-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #222
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
You've got a great plan, already. Nice box--a little bigger than usual, but it sure gives you the ability to go GFCI without having to do it "backwards."

One thing I've noticed in my Overlander is a dearth of outlets up front, especially around the door (on the inside). I would also recommend an outlet outside on the street side and one outside on the front.

Zep
Thanks Zep

In the picture, the upper receptacle is for a plug in light, and the lower will be a power outlet, have a extra power outlet receptacle that I will add.

Toastie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4314a.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	71142  
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #223
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
125 amps? Wow! Seriously, tho, looks like you're headed down the right path. One thing I did was to add a seperate dedicated 15 amp breaker & circuit just for the microwave. Something to think about if you are going to install one those.

Jim
Thanks Jim

Yes we will have a microwave and will take a look at it.

Toastie
Old 11-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #224
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Really cool power panel...

It may be too late for you to want to change and maybe you already have your charger but I decided to change. I originally bought a 30amp box at Lowes or Home Depot but decided not to use it when I discovered the following combination 120v/12v panel with integrated charger. The really cool thing is that my wife bought me one for my 60th birthday. I have not yet had time to install it though.

XADC 30A Distribution Center

What I especially like about the panel/charger combination is that it has a nice front panel accessible arrangement to all the fuses and the charger itself.

See what you think.

Malcolm
Old 11-14-2008, 10:22 AM   #225
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium View Post
It may be too late for you to want to change and maybe you already have your charger but I decided to change. I originally bought a 30amp box at Lowes or Home Depot but decided not to use it when I discovered the following combination 120v/12v panel with integrated charger. The really cool thing is that my wife bought me one for my 60th birthday. I have not yet had time to install it though.

XADC 30A Distribution Center

What I especially like about the panel/charger combination is that it has a nice front panel accessible arrangement to all the fuses and the charger itself.

See what you think.

Malcolm
Lucky, that is one slick box. Yes to late, decided to go with what I have since I've already ripped into everything.........thanks very much
Old 11-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #226
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Starting my second of 3 compoundings, nuvite G6 is working great.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8316.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	71426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8330.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	71427  

Old 11-16-2008, 02:24 PM   #227
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow, that's shiney in there! Hard to tell what's been skinned and what hasn't. I'm not sure if I want to see the top of my head though!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:33 PM   #228
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
... mirrors on the ceiling, pink champagne on ice.... it keeps going through my head when I look at that.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:59 AM   #229
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
1964 24' Tradewind
1956 18' "Footer"
Southern , Minnesota
...we are all just prisoners here...of our own device...

Steve "Dancin" Hansen
TAC MN-31

visit my almost yearly blog https://www.bluessafari.blogspot.com
GR8DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:00 AM   #230
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Started work on the layout shown in blue and getting a feel for what the wife wants.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8393.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	71839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8395.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	71840  

Name:	IMG_8400.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	71841  
Old 11-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #231
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
After doing mine I thought I should have used some old carboard to make temporary walls and counter tops on mine to get a real feel for the layout and how it impacted space and functionality. It would have taken an hour or two at most and would have put things into truly visual perspective for us. There are a couple of things I'd have done differently to give a more open feel and better leveraged what is now almost dead space.

Barry
Old 11-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #232
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
After doing mine I thought I should have used some old carboard to make temporary walls and counter tops on mine to get a real feel for the layout and how it impacted space and functionality. It would have taken an hour or two at most and would have put things into truly visual perspective for us. There are a couple of things I'd have done differently to give a more open feel and better leveraged what is now almost dead space.

Barry
Barry

Thanks, I agree, before we start the carpentry everthing should be planned to the 1/2". There is no closet in this design.

Toastie
Old 11-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #233
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Electric Diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
Went to Lowes today and bought my GE electrical box and circuit breakers.

1) 125 amps TL412C main lug box
1) 15 amp GFCI
1) 20 amp GFCI
1) 15 amp breaker
1) 20 amp breaker
1) 10' of #8 wire that I will run from Marinco 30A 125V to Main 30 amp breaker.

This will be a BIG learning curve for me. Will need to come up with a wiring diagram on paper so I can balance out the question marks below. Then I will go to the 12v system.

Wire 5 will be for the main
Wire 4 to the 20 amp will be only for air conditioner
Wire 3 to the 15 amp will be Intellipower and ?????
Wire 2 to 15 amp GFCI will be kitchen, exterior and ?????
Wire 1 to 20 amp GFCI will be bath, refrigerator, exterior and ?????
I have been following your thread off and on. I am glad you are wiring thins now. I have attached a wire diagram that I picked up here on the forums. Maybe it helps with the design phase of things.

I have a question. I am wiring all of my 110 now also. So for "wire 1" mentioned above, you will run a wire to the bathroom receptacle, then from there, a wire to refrigerator, then that same wire to an exterior outlet, ending there.?? I am new to electricity, can you educate me a little. Will there be a junction box at each connection?

Do you have a diagram since these posts have been made? I am just trying to figure out mainly about the junction boxes and running all the 110 wire. Will all of your outlets inside be 110?

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	elec_schem.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	71846  
64TrotterAtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:52 AM   #234
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64TrotterAtl View Post
I have been following your thread off and on. I am glad you are wiring thins now. I have attached a wire diagram that I picked up here on the forums. Maybe it helps with the design phase of things.

I have a question. I am wiring all of my 110 now also. So for "wire 1" mentioned above, you will run a wire to the bathroom receptacle, then from there, a wire to refrigerator, then that same wire to an exterior outlet, ending there.?? I am new to electricity, can you educate me a little. Will there be a junction box at each connection?

Do you have a diagram since these posts have been made? I am just trying to figure out mainly about the junction boxes and running all the 110 wire. Will all of your outlets inside be 110?

Andrew
Andrew

Sorry, If I where a electrician I could help, I can't give advice on this subject due to its nature and my lack of electrical knowledge.

Toastie
Old 11-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #235
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64TrotterAtl View Post
...I have a question. I am wiring all of my 110 now also. So for "wire 1" mentioned above, you will run a wire to the bathroom receptacle, then from there, a wire to refrigerator, then that same wire to an exterior outlet, ending there.?? I am new to electricity, can you educate me a little. Will there be a junction box at each connection?
...Andrew
Andrew, once you decide which outlet boxes will be on which circuit, you chain them together, eg, run the wire to the first box, then from there to the second box, then on to the next, etc. You can use the 1" deep plastic boxes or any box that will fit in the shell thickness. You don't need a "junction" box as a separate box--the outlet itself has enough screw terminals for the incoming and outgoing wires, except the ground, which you can splice using either a wire nut or a bare metal crimp-on splice. Splice the two grounds together with another short piece of wire--the short piece goes to the ground screw at the bottom of the outlet.

Using a wire nut in the thinnest box will be a little cramped, but you can do it.

When you attach the wires to the outlet, the silver screws are for the white wire and the brass screws are for the black. This is important, as it keeps your neutral and hot sides properly oriented. I also recommend that you use the screw terminals, not the push-in connections on the back of many outlets.

Zep
Old 11-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #236
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Andrew, once you decide which outlet boxes will be on which circuit, you chain them together, eg, run the wire to the first box, then from there to the second box, then on to the next, etc. You can use the 1" deep plastic boxes or any box that will fit in the shell thickness. You don't need a "junction" box as a separate box--the outlet itself has enough screw terminals for the incoming and outgoing wires, except the ground, which you can splice using either a wire nut or a bare metal crimp-on splice. Splice the two grounds together with another short piece of wire--the short piece goes to the ground screw at the bottom of the outlet.

Using a wire nut in the thinnest box will be a little cramped, but you can do it.

When you attach the wires to the outlet, the silver screws are for the white wire and the brass screws are for the black. This is important, as it keeps your neutral and hot sides properly oriented. I also recommend that you use the screw terminals, not the push-in connections on the back of many outlets.

Zep
Thanks Zep................Toastie
Old 11-30-2008, 09:05 PM   #237
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:

Zep
Hi Zep,

Have you found a source for a box that fits the same as the original boxes? I have noticed that the ones on my 73 are wider than a single box but not as big as a double box. Of course they are somewhat shallow too because of the limited wall thickness.

Malcolm
Old 11-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #238
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
No, I haven't added or replaced any boxes yet. When I get back into the Safari I will be doing that, so I hope someone finds the right box before I need them.

Zep
Old 12-01-2008, 08:39 AM   #239
4 Rivet Member

Wall outlet boxes

This is the outlet box that I am planning on using. They are available from Ace Hardware SKU #3003720. Retail $1.29 ea. They are 1-1/4" thick.

"CARLON" PVC 1 GANG SHALLOW OUTLET BOX
Mfg #B108R
UPC #034481043768
*8 cubic inch capacity
*4 knockouts
*Use in basement walls or where space is limited
*UL listed

I hope this helps.

Name:	Shallow outlet box.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	71979
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #240
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhord View Post
This is the outlet box that I am planning on using. They are available from Ace Hardware SKU #3003720. Retail $1.29 ea. They are 1-1/4" thick.

"CARLON" PVC 1 GANG SHALLOW OUTLET BOX
Mfg #B108R
UPC #034481043768
*8 cubic inch capacity
*4 knockouts
*Use in basement walls or where space is limited
*UL listed

I hope this helps.

Attachment 71979

Using the same plus this one, bought at Home Depot for $1.12

Bracketed for side mounting
1-1/4"D x 2-3/8"W x 3-5/8"L