Old 08-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #155
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Did you simply trim off the sides that bolt to the frame and replace it with new aluminum? Did you seal the bottoms with POR-15 on the bottom and top? What kind of paint did you use? That is all the questions I have.

I just pulled the shell off of my 64 GT today. The metal wells are sitting in the back of my truck. I am going to treat the frame tomorrow and then hopefully Monday put the top coat on it. I have some work to do on the U Channels. I pulled them up with the shell. So...I just wanted to ask you those questions.

I look forward to seeing how you are cutting the edges and shaping the wood to the shape of the shell.

Andrew

Old 08-30-2008, 04:40 PM   #156
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64TrotterAtl View Post
Did you simply trim off the sides that bolt to the frame and replace it with new aluminum? Did you seal the bottoms with POR-15 on the bottom and top? What kind of paint did you use? That is all the questions I have.

I just pulled the shell off of my 64 GT today. The metal wells are sitting in the back of my truck. I am going to treat the frame tomorrow and then hopefully Monday put the top coat on it. I have some work to do on the U Channels. I pulled them up with the shell. So...I just wanted to ask you those questions.

I look forward to seeing how you are cutting the edges and shaping the wood to the shape of the shell.

Andrew
Andrew

On the wheel tubs I cut the flanges off and riveted galvanized metal (Home Depot) to the tubs, painted using por15 that I had left over. The tubs will be fasten to the wood floor and I will use excessive amount of trempro 635.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0151.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	66566  

Old 08-31-2008, 01:10 PM   #157
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Applied http://www.cabotstain.com/products/product/Clear-Solutions.html to the bottom of floor today..............
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0153.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	66614  
Old 09-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #158
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
On a previous post I mentioned that the wheel tubs would be fasten to the wood floor, I want to correct that they will be on top of the frame as
shown in the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0156.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	66679   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0155.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	66680  

Old 09-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #159
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Black and gray tanks (19 gal black and 43 gal gray total)

Decided to go with 2 gray tanks and 1 black tank. A 19 gal black tank will sit behind the axle and a 19 gal gray tank will sit in front of axle, behind the black tank will be a 24 gal gray tank. The 24 gal gray tank will be only for the kitchen sink, the 19 gal gray tank will only be for the shower/sink. Will use a small pump to transfer gray water 19 gal to the 24 gal.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:57 PM   #160
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
Decided to go with 2 gray tanks and 1 black tank. A 19 gal black tank will sit behind the axle and a 19 gal gray tank will sit in front of axle, behind the black tank will be a 24 gal gray tank. The 24 gal gray tank will be only for the kitchen sink, the 19 gal gray tank will only be for the shower/sink. Will use a small pump to transfer gray water 19 gal to the 24 gal.
Just like having a 17ft mobile sewage treatment plant.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:00 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Are you keeping the original '55 Safari floor plan with the toilet in the front streetside corner? If so, how are you draining it into the black tank behind the axle? I've never seen a black tank that was not directly below the toilet. I wonder how well solid waste will move thru a pipe from the toilet to the tank, especially if not parked level with the rear of the trailer higher than the front.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:28 AM   #162
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Are you keeping the original '55 Safari floor plan with the toilet in the front streetside corner? If so, how are you draining it into the black tank behind the axle? I've never seen a black tank that was not directly below the toilet. I wonder how well solid waste will move thru a pipe from the toilet to the tank, especially if not parked level with the rear of the trailer higher than the front.
Joe,

I don't know about the floorplan in use here but I do know that it is possible to mount a toilet remote from the holding tank. Marine toilet systems do that all the time. The toilet needs to have a built in macerator pump to make it work. Some are a manual pump others are electric. These types of toilets are usually more expensive that typical RV toilets that mount directly above the holding tank but they do offer a remote installation option if that is needed.

Malcolm
Old 09-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #163
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Joe

No, we are not keeping it original, we decided to keep the beds the same but the rest will change. The '55 Safari did have the toilet in the front, but there where no gray or black tanks, just a small fresh water tank. I attached a picture where the toilet will be setting, right on top of the black tank, and the shower on top the front gray tank.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0088t.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	67598  
Old 09-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #164
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Looking good, man! On our little one, we're going to have to put an offset pipe to get the toilet plumbed to the black tank. It's only about 8 inches, though with one turn, which I'll run with a wide radius curve... Hope that works! Who puts solids in their toilets after restoring them anyway?

JP

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:27 AM   #165
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can View Post
Looking good, man! On our little one, we're going to have to put an offset pipe to get the toilet plumbed to the black tank. It's only about 8 inches, though with one turn, which I'll run with a wide radius curve... Hope that works! Who puts solids in their toilets after restoring them anyway?

JP
JP

Thanks very much, I have been following your thread and it has been very helpful, what great work you do. I'm also looking for a third one.

Steve
Old 09-18-2008, 07:21 AM   #166
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
I went with http://www.cabotstain.com/products/product/Clear-Solutions.html for the floor, they only recommend 1 coat, did both sides. This product is in compliance with Federal V.O.C. (Volatile Organic Compounds)

And on the sides of the plywood I'm going to use trempro 635
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/TremPro_635_p/vts-267.htm
I tried the trempro on a scrap piece and it filled what little voids I had perfectly. It bonds great to the plywood and it will not come off. 53 years from now somebody else will have the joy replacing the floor.....total cost about $50.00 for the cabot and trempro 635
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7624.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	67634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7625.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	67635  

Old 09-22-2008, 10:16 AM   #167
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Joe

No, we are not keeping it original, we decided to keep the beds the same but the rest will change. The '55 Safari did have the toilet in the front, but there where no gray or black tanks, just a small fresh water tank. I attached a picture where the toilet will be setting, right on top of the black tank, and the shower on top the front gray tank.

Steve
Steve

A suggestion - perhaps do not try out that toilet quite yet . You might freak out the neighbors..

I have two buddies with early 50's Flying Clouds to build out so am watching your work closely. It is an absolute weatlh of ideas and information. Thanks for sharing as it all helps....
Barry
Old 09-22-2008, 02:01 PM   #168
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
Steve

A suggestion - perhaps do not try out that toilet quite yet . You might freak out the neighbors..

Barry
Thanks Barry, I told the one neighbor that is my beer cooler..........

Tags
1955 safari, floor, redo