Old 05-24-2005, 04:23 PM   #1
Slate Mosaic Tile

I just finished laying slate mosaic tile in my bathroom. I hope that their small size and the silicone I used for grour will prevent future cracking. Time will tell. For sanitary reasons, I also put arborite on the mini-walls around the toilet (vice the carpet someone had installed before). Has anyone else tried this flooring option?
Attached Images

SilverStreakca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
That really looks great! Nice job!

Not knowing enough to be afraid... (I know more than I did, but I did it anyway!)

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Looks nice, but...

I would be concerned about the added weight...especially with a rear bath Sovereign. Did you happen to calculate how much weight was added?

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:45 PM   #4
Site Team
, Minnesota
That looks wonderful! When you say silicone grout, do you mean you used silicone caulk, or is it a grout that contains silicone. Does it go on just like regular grout?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:57 PM   #5
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I tiled the center bath in our 77 Sovereign. It took all of 5 sheets of tile 12X12 inches. Of course 60% of them had to be cut

I also used "silicone grout" What I used was one they sold to use as a sanded grout to use between the shower floor and wall. It came in a tube and stayed flexible.
Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:39 PM   #6
Mosiac Slate Posting replies

Thanks for the interest and questions regarding my flooring project. As for the "grout", I simply used "GE Silicone II 100% Silicone Light Grey for Concrete and Masonry" which came in the standard caulking tube. I found it best if I did all the lines running one direction first, let it set-up for an hour or so and then do the lines the other way. This way I ended up with a nice smooth layer of silicone between all the mini tiles. Regarding weight, my project did add 30 lbs (20 lbs in tile and 10 lbs in "Flexset" thinset) to the trailer; however, I feel this weight penalty was worth the return. I guess time will tell.
SilverStreakca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:24 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
I have a 96 30' classic, came with wall to wall carpet in the bath area. I am also thinking of a ceramic floor in the bath. See attached link, this is the material Airstream uses to lay ceramic in their motorhomes. It is supposed to allow for flex in the floor.
Hensley Hitch, Jordan controller
basecamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master
1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Weren't the back ends reinforced by '76? I'd think that for such a small space, the weight addition wouldn't be exceptionally large (I was actually rather surprised at how heavy vinyl tile weighs--it's probably not much lighter). Plus, it's a bit offset by the light carpeting--and silicone is much lighter than grout.

Beautiful job, Silverstreak, just don't let anyone large (hee hee) use the lav!

Our Airstream adventure continues!
Read the details at Tales of the Toaster
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master
2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Looks great....but....over the years we have used many Silicone types. The problem I see is that as Andy has indicated the floor does flex - even when walking on most boards they will flex - silicone if flexed will eventually pull away from its adhesion point - and ANY moisture what so ever (air - humidity) will add to the problem - a silicon grout may have been a better choice. If it is stuck on their good with no flex then you might be looking at cracked tiles down the road.

We have laid tile many times and if not done correctly with some pretty serious non flex underlay you are going to run into issues sooner than later.

But you know it is like gardening - the fruits of your efforts are relished for a bit of time - then you wait till the garden fills up with weeds again before you are back on your hands and knees..... But she sure does look nice.

Everything will be alright in the end. If it is not alright now, then it is not the end.
GT1963 is offline   Reply With Quote