Old 08-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Jason, thanks so much for the photo! That is a great help. Did you have to take the belly pan down, or were you able to do everything from above?

Sounds like you are in the middle of a marathon restoration project! Best of luck, and have a great time in the Tetons!

amitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Nope didn't take the belly pan off on this one... was lucky.... But when I dig into the kitchen floor we shall see.........

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
How much time and money are you going to put into this? Give it very serious consideration. Does it smell like a trailer? What kind of use will it get. Do you have help? All of these are things to consider. I'll tell you that people on the forum often take short cuts and encourage others to do the same. I guess it helps them sleep at night.

How's the frame under those soft spots? Does it need repair? I found frame rust through under sections of floor that were only a littel discolored.

If you are only going locally or setting up as a seasonal the floor is not a big deal. Some have used Deep Penitrating Epoxy for soft spots.

Depending on where your trailer lived you need to use some care in dealing with the belly pan or other areas with rodent feces. Some bad stuff out there.

Taking off the bottom interior isn't a big deal if you had the equipment to put it back. The real challenge is replacing the very edge that doesn't hold fasteners anymore, even when it looks fine.

If you patch it use the marine method and epoxy.

Good Luck
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:09 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Thanks for the reply. All good questions, and all are definitely worth consideration. Thank you.

I'm not in a huge rush to finish, and I certainly don't mind taking her out as an "aluminum tent" during her makeover. We really want to do it right the first time.

I plan on doing a bit of frame inspection once we get the bad floor panels out. Fingers are crossed.

Thanks much

amitchell is offline   Reply With Quote

floor, overlander, renovation, rot