Old 09-01-2016, 12:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Your C channel is actually in pretty fair shape. My PO actually used Chicken wire and lots of silicone to patch mine. I did the rear without removing the shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Originally Posted by Greg1410 View Post
I did a complete subfloor replacement, some welding on the frame. I put the new subfloor back in in full sheets - all without taking the shell off. Not a problem for me. I would do it that way again.
Clearly, Greg1410 is a Dark Wizard.

But very often I have wondered why I took the top off.......

1972 33' Streamline Emperor Crown Imperial
1949 30' Spartan Royal Mansion
2012 Nissan Armada
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1970 23' Safari
Denton , Texas
+1 for doing it right. It takes longer, but if you like the thought of "lasts a lifetime," or "for the grandkids," then your frame of mind is frame off!
OnTheFlyRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #18
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Should i lift the shell or not lift the shell..

Doing it right all has to do with condition, and there is something to be desired about counting the days from purchase to camping rather than years from purchase to camping.

Make a project too big, bigger than it needs to be, and often the project never makes it out of project stage.

Seen that, and done that.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member
1980 24' Caravelle
Pocatello , Idaho
Originally Posted by prettybrent View Post
how long did it take for your rebuild? also when you lifted your shell how did you go about bracing your shell on the inside?
thanks for the reply!!!
If I condense the time into months it would be about 40hr.s per week for 10 months. I made every thing from scratch. Made all of my cabinet frames, booth
seats, folding bed and shower stall from aluminum and powder coated them then covered them with baltic birch plywood. Took a lot of time but it came out nice.

As far as the shell goes I put the entire unit on 4 steel horses removed the axels, jacked the shell above the frame clamped spreaders across the bottom then stabilized it and then I did the frame work right in place. I then cut the plywood coated it and screwed it onto the frame. Then removed the spreaders and dropped the shell back onto the floor. It worked out well. I have a large shop with a bridge crane but I only used the crane to put the entire unit on the horses then did the rest of the job using jacks. Go to 1980 Caravelle to see frame shots.
Dennis Proks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:13 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member
1992 29' Excella
seattle , Washington
I can totally relate

Have spent almost the last month trying to decide whether or not the frame in our 1978 Sovereign 31' has a viable frame. My husband and I have been around and around discussing our options since we have a goal to get on the road at the end of the year. Replace the sub floor? Shell off? Leave as is and just roll with it? etc. It's exhausting and almost cost us our marriage. (well, we're both pretty stubborn

Finally, my father in law had the brilliant idea to just cut open a few sections and take a look, so I did that and found there was a bit of rust, but not catastrophic like we thought. Yes, the back 6" of frame is in pretty bad shape, but totally repairable. My husband is still not convinced, but remember I am stubborn.

Right now, we're having a race...I'm scrapping together a punk rock welder, a bike polo turned contractor, and all my years of experience to try to pull this trailer together. Of course, the weather has just turned to fall and we do not have a covered area to work. Meanwhile, my husband is still searching for a replacement trailer. Whomever gets a trailer on the road at the end of the year wins. Despite the fact that every single person I have talked to says I will throw my hands up in the air, they have no idea who I am and what I am capable of, and how I am not afraid of a little (or quite a lot) of grueling hard work completely out of my comfort zone.

stephseattle is offline   Reply With Quote