Old 08-08-2007, 10:48 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Thanks for the pics Simon! I'm curious, have you ever weighed your trailer? The only reason I ask is I'd too like to use the Ikea cabinets.

Looks beautiful in there!
Thanks!
Marc
6400 lbs packed. I don't think that is too bad, is it? I attempted to use the lightest materials I could. Some of the original interior I removed was surprisingly heavy.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

nothing to report...

The Travelland guys have done no work in the last month on my trailer. The parts we have been waiting for came in a few weeks ago but they are so short on technicians and so busy selling and preparing new units that my project has fallen by the wayside. I will update when there is something to report. Sorry, this is so disappointing.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #31
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmartin904
Can anyone tell me how to check my AS for the additional frame supports? I have a photo of the bumper but I am unable to attach it. I can attach the photo to an email.

Thanks,

Tony

tmartin904@comcast.net
Hi. Looks like no one has posted a photo of the frame supports for you yet. Here is a photo of what to look for:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 148.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	43886  
Old 10-13-2007, 10:14 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Project has been abandonded by Traveland!

I apologize about the lack of postings so far on this project. I was told it would take a few weeks and thought I would post progress along the way so that all of you would be able to watch.

I am sorry to report that after 6 patient months on my part of waiting for parts to be ordered and listening to reasons for delays, the service manager at Traveland RV in Langely finally told me the truth about the incredibly slow process on my trailer project. His words as repeated to me by the service advisor:

"It is not a priority for us, it will get done, when it gets done.

I am complete discouraged. I trusted these guys with my treasured trailer and they have completely disregarded me. My trailer has been partially disassembled making transportation possible only via a flatbed and I am completely trapped now.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-13-2007, 10:53 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Try Chuck at
R.V. Camper & Trailer Clinic Ltd.
5670 Production Way
Langley, B.C.
V3A 4N4

Business: (604) 530-0911
Fax: (604) 530-3052
10% Discount off parts

He seems to be a pretty level headed fellow and all they do is repair RV's. What's also nice is he's within a reasonable distance for having it towed to his shop, and he can also make sure that what ever Traveland took off is included when he gets it.

Also, check this out. The reviews on RV Camper are good, and you'll see a sad story on Traveland. RV Service Review

Barry
Old 10-13-2007, 11:03 PM   #34
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonhanbury
I apologize about the lack of postings so far on this project. I was told it would take a few weeks and thought I would post progress along the way so that all of you would be able to watch.

I am sorry to report that after 6 patient months on my part of waiting for parts to be ordered and listening to reasons for delays, the service manager at Traveland RV in Langely finally told me the truth about the incredibly slow process on my trailer project. His words as repeated to me by the service advisor:

"It is not a priority for us, it will get done, when it gets done.

I am complete discouraged. I trusted these guys with my treasured trailer and they have completely disregarded me. My trailer has been partially disassembled making transportation possible only via a flatbed and I am completely trapped now.

Any suggestions?
With a shop attitude like that, I doubt that they know how to rebuild the trailer, and are stalling for time to try to figure it out.

First of all, they took far more apart than necessary, increasing the labor costs.

Make sure they replace the steel plate between the frame.

Also make sure they add additional hold down brackets on the outside of the frame, underneath the banana wraps.

I would also suggest you watch them very closely when the "do" decide to resume where they left off. Make sure they use considerable "vulkem sealer" at every seam.

Also make sure they install metal plates on top of the floor channel, so that they can install more "hold down" bolts.

Don't let them use anything smaller than 3/8 inch bolts, with washers, and lock washers.

I did not see the rear floor channel, but usually in a case like yours, it's cracked in half in two places. Make sure they "properly" weld those areas back together, and add "stiffner plates" on top of those welds.

Unfortunately, it appears that the quarter panels and the rear plate below the window need replacing. The damage to the rear end of your airstream did not suddenly happen.

That damage took several years to deteriorate to it's present condition.

I am not sure what you can do, since your in Canada. But in the USA, a good attorney could get some action going for you, but then unless you watch the shops every move, they may "butcher" the repairs. Again, if they did that, they become liable. But, it's something to consider.

Please let Airstream and other owners know what they are putting you thru.

It certainly is against all business ethics, and deserves nothing less than the most negative publicity possible.

Rear end separation, is not difficult to determine. Unless it is corrected quickly, the separation will continue to get worse. As it gets worse, the repair bill keeps on getting worse too.

Unfortunately, many owners of older Airstream trailers have the dreaded rear end separation, and seem to believe it will go away. It won't go away until it is properly fixed.

The "elephant ear" fix, in itself, is a poor job at best, because the problem "WILL" come back only to haunt the owner again and again, until it is properly corrected.

The repair cost for rear end separation, can be as little as $300 to $400 dollars. If ignored or put off, the repair costs can get to $3000 to $4000 dollars and sometimes on up to $6000 dollars.

Sad but true.

Wish you good luck with the repairs, if and when they are finalized.

Andy
Old 10-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonhanbury
Any suggestions?
You could let them know that other Airstreamers, right here in the lower mainland, have been made aware of their special brand of "service" and will likely take their business elsewhere. Hell, with the dollar the way it is right now, if I were in a position to buy new, I'd likely be taking a quick trip to Spokane to buy rather than give Traveland RV my business.

I've been to their store once, looking for a few generic parts. The service was dreadful and their knowledge of even basic parts dreadful. I'm glad I had other things to do in Abbotdford, otherwise it would have been a wasted day.

I would also write a detailed letter to Airstream about the level of service. If others do the same, they may get their franchise pulled. This happened with a motorcycle dealership that used to carry the new Triumph motorcycles. After sales service was horrible and word got to head office about this and the franchise pulled and offered to a small dealer that cares about British bikes. So, perhaps if enough complaints are filed, Airstream will take notice and make changes.

I'm sorry you are going through this.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

I have instructed them to cease and desist from all work on my trailer. I will be taking it somewhere else.

Anyone know of airstream restorers in washington that they would recommend?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:43 PM   #37
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Rear end work

Other repairs sources are available.

Check your PM.

Andy
Old 10-21-2007, 10:40 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Merritt , British Columbia
Arrrghhh!!! What a nightmare. I know exactly what you're going through. We had to get repairs done to our trailer... unfortunately we were in South Eastern New Mexico and miles from anyone who knew Airstreams... which required us going to with a local RV dealership. They said the repair would take two weeks. We're fultiming in our trailer, so we took that time to go on "vacation" in our tow vehicle. We came back to pick up our trailer and found that they had disassembled it, started the repair, then a large moterhome came in with plumbing problems and they decided to work on that instead. We "encouraged them" to get our trailer finished, and when they finally got around to our trailer and put the belly pan back on... they used steel SCREWS!!!!!

We were very glad to get our beloved Boop out of there.

Next week we're getting the same kind of repair performed as you are... repairing a rotted out rear floor... but this time we're booked into Jackson Center for the repair... I always have my fingers crossed going into any repair place, but from what I've read in these forums about them, I have a bit of piece of mind.

If you can at least get your trailer rolling, you might want to consider getting it down to the LA area... between Andy at Inland or C&G in Bellflower you'll get an excellent repair done.

Good luck...
Old 03-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

my Airstream life is in a slump

Almost a year later after taking my trailer to Traveland RV in Langley, it has still not been repaired. They promised 6 weeks when I brought it in April 23, 2007. Then they promised by the end of July, then October, then December. If I move it out it will have to be flat-beded out as they have taken enough of it apart that it can't be safely towed. I can't imagine how much this will cost.

And I am supposed to deal with all of this while I work 65 hour weeks and take care of a family of 4.

At least Traveland didn't just toss my trailer out in the rain. It has been stored indoors which means I still do have a chance of having my beloved trailer that me and some freinds built by hand back in tip top shape one day.

I think I will call a lawyer on Monday and discus my options.

So sad to see my trailer at this point. What vancouver needs is a really great dedicated Airstream restoration company!
Old 03-16-2008, 06:46 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Simon,

Have you thought about contacting this group to ask if they know who in the area other than Traveland could tackle your trailer?

BC Unit Web-site - WBCCI Airstream Club BC Unit Web-site

It wouldn't hurt to log onto their website and ask.

What a bummer about your trailer.

Keep us posted.

Barry
Old 03-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

thanks, I just sent them a message. I appreciate the suggestion.

Cheers.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
There's a coach repair company in North Vancouver that refits buses and if I understand correctly, they also do trailer repairs. I wonder is they would be suitable for the sort of work that needs doing? I drive by it quite regularly and will make a note of the company name the next time I go by.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote