Old 05-28-2004, 12:21 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

Thanks

Don
I appreciate the quick response. I was thinking 88.5, I guess my shell had sagged out a little. I decided that while I had the floor out to add a couple extra outriggers in the back. The last 36 inches or so of the frame had no braces on the outside of the frame, is this normal, there was no evidence of there ever having been any at all.
Leonard

LotalaborAZ
upallnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 12:32 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Picture

You can see what I'm talking about in this picture, I have since welded outriggers (braces) in on both sides. In the picture the one on the left is just sitting there for the picture.
http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...cat/all/page/1
Leonard

LotalaborAZ
Old 05-28-2004, 12:53 AM   #45
Site Team

, Minnesota
Leonard,

My old tradewind (pictured below) has a couple of outriggers in the rear. But I didn't have any tankage below the floor, which it looks like your's has. Looks like your replacement outrigger is just right! But don't weld it on yet. I'll get you a picture at first light tomorrow. The last outriggers are tapered like the fronts to allow the bellypan to transition to the rear bumper.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2004, 01:05 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

Tankage?

I don't know what kind of tankage mine had, when I say my A/S was stripped out when I bought it I REALLY mean stripped out, it was being used for storage by a PO that had an antique store, it was full of "stuff" that weighed 12,000 lbs, not bad for a trailer that rolled off the line weighing 4500 lbs., the only bad part of the whole deal was I had to take all the "stuff" with it. I'll be selling some of the "stuff" on ebay. You seem to have documented the rehab of your Tradewind excellently. Thanks, it will help all us newbies in our endeavors.
Leonard

LotalaborAZ
Old 05-28-2004, 01:08 AM   #47
Site Team

, Minnesota
I guess that's right, it probably didn't have a grey tank if it's a 63. I thought your model looked newer based on the cut-outs in the crossmembers and the large open space between the last two crossmembers.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:17 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Red face Change in pitch.

I never gave any thought to the change in pitch as you get closer to the rear. To late for the welding though! But that's what they make cutting torches and grinders for. Will await your pictures. I manufactured the last crossmember because the old one was rusted through. I think there is enough of the second one left to weld and repair. Thanks
Leonard

LotalaborAZ
Old 05-28-2004, 01:22 AM   #49
Site Team

, Minnesota
I'll get some pictures on my trip out to pick up the newspaper. G'nite.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:32 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

Thanks alot, I really appreciate the help, I had never even heard of an elevator bolt until I found this web site, (UPS delivery Tues). Had to do a web search for Northstar State, Minnesota, Cool.

Leonard

LotalaborAZ
Old 05-28-2004, 01:57 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
The last two outriggers look like the front two.I haven't welded in the two aft ones yet but there is a pic of the two front outriggers in the thread (frame repair).
http://www.airforums.com/forum...t=frame+repair
Old 05-28-2004, 06:33 AM   #52
Site Team

, Minnesota
Rear Outriggers

Leonard,

Here's a couple of pictures of the rear outriggers on my '59. I don't know for sure whether the design may have changed from '59 to '63. Maybe someone with the newer model will look at my pictures and say the '63 is different. It looks like Greg's, in the photo above, might be different than mine.

The dimensions are: 12" long, compared to 14 3/4" on the 'normal' outriggers.
The outboard end is 1" high, tapers to full 4" frame height where it meets the frame. Located 23" forward of the rearmost crossmember.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2004, 08:56 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Outrigger

Don, greg176:
I am on my way out the door to go to work, I will give these picture's a closer scrutiny when I get back into town tonight, maybe post a few more pictures of my own. Thanks.
Leonard

LotalaborAZ
Old 05-28-2004, 10:11 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Don et al,
What do you use for reference points?

Before I remove the whole floor and bellypan....what have you used to define location?

Have you made full-size templates of everything?

Lots of drawings?

Measurements in relation to frame & outriggers?

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2004, 12:08 PM   #55
Site Team

, Minnesota
Chuck,

I don't have templates, but I measured everyting about 5 times as I was taking it apart. Have it on Autocad.

The main reference points I used are the corner clips, the little 2 inch angle brackets that fit just inside the first and last ribs. I marked them when I took them out, and since I didn't change the outriggers where they are located, I just put them back using the same bolt holes. You can see them (barely) in the pictures above. Of course I will take them off when I get around to putting the floor on, because they mount on top of the plywood.

The other thing I did was mark a centerline and the centers of the corner radii.

I think I will be able to get pretty close using the dimensions, leaving a little extra on the ends for final adjustment with a belt sander when I get the body back on and the belly wraps on.

I also plan to leave the front mounting plate off until the final assembly, then bolt it down after everyting is dry fit.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:10 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Well, I generally post a question, give everyone thirty seconds to respond, then see that they haven't and then go and dy my thing anyway.

I have been taking notes and drawing pictures, mostly.
I made templates of a front and a rear corner.
And I've taken quite a few photos.

But essentially, here's the plan, I think:

I'm just takin' it all off.

The bellypan will go on first, and its alignment is obvious, since I will be using the old holes, riveting it to the frame underneath.
Where it wraps up on the sides, well, it tells me where the U-channel goes.
In fact, so far, I'm leaving some of the U-channel attached to the bellypan.

I think I'm going to short my plywood by about 1/8" (intentionally) all around, since it was pretty much nonexistent--so many of my measurement and templates are based on the inside of the outer skin, prior to shell removal.

My goal is to have the bellypan off today, and the floor off tomorrow.

-Chuck