Originally Posted by Althea68
Okay so next question did everyone who has done shell off build all of the extavagant trussing and stabilizers in the shell before lift off. How do you really need.
The one thing I would do differently, knowing what I know now, would be to build a new frame for the '78...not that the '78 frame is bad - it isn't - it's just that now, in hindsight, I would build a frame that is hell-for-stout and incorporate as much water capacity in it that would fit. Also, build in more storage bins into the floor (down into the frame area), and possibly install a couple of hangers for a pair of Honda 2000's.
As far as taking the shell off in the hangar, below are a few pics of a '66 Safari currently hanging from some scaffolding. Note that we built the scaffolding 3 sections (15') high - two sections (10') would have been sufficient. We could have added a cinder block or two under each scaffold leg and had more than enough height with just two sections on each side. You should have more than enough head room in the hangar to utilize a similar set up.
That's me on the left, and the dapper young man with the South-of-the-Border Safety Shoes on the right is the owner.
Below is a shot of the interior upper lift assembly and bracing. We used a pair of come-a-longs mounted in the interior to lift the shell. We used the forward and aft vents to pass the come-a-long cables through to the beams mounted on the scaffolding.
Below is a shot of the lower bracing and how we landed the shell on saw horses.
Not shown is are the 2X6's about 10' long mounted on the bottom curb and street side just above the "C" channels. We tied into each rib with a single screw to increase the stability of the bottom shell. THe shell was strapped down front and aft and has weathered a couple of fairly strong storms with no movement or damage.
We probably went overboard on constructing the scaffolding spanning beams - two 2X12's sandwiched together with a 1/4" steel plate between the wood bolted together every foot or so.
Wish I would have taken some pics while dragging the old frame to the welder's place (about 10 miles in a VERY rural area). Several stops to pick up parts that were fallling off. The frame was actually broken in half on either side by the time we delivered it - the right side was fractured behind the axle and the left side separated in front of the axle - the only thing holding it together was the very rotten flooring.
New frame has been constructed, powder coated, and ready for new tanks to be installed.