Old 02-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahrfarm View Post
I have a question, I've seen a lot of pictures of people doing a shell off in their driveway. what do you do about bad weather? Like a storm with high wind, I live in Oklahoma. I would like to back up and start over, shell off, but I dont have a large building.
I did (am doing) mine out in the back yard.
Weather has definitely been The issue.
- Place to put parts and what-not
- Place to keep tools and what-not.
- Lighting to work at night.
- Inconvenience of having to drag everything out to work and then dragging everything back in when you are done.
- When it rains.. not getting things wet that you don't want wet. I don't know how many times I hauled the 7 sheets of 3/4" plywood out to work on the floor then hauled it back in. Not fun.
- Wind is blocked pretty good here, but still got the heebie-jeebies a few times when the winds picked up and the shell was up on the horses... not tied down.
- I'd def. have at least one decent tarp big enough to cover the entire chassis/floor and something to keep the edges from blowing up.
It is inconvenient, but def. doable.

Tonight I was out with my flimsy shop light mounting the axles in a slow drizzle.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:05 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
North Everett , Washington
Thanks all.

So Thanks to all who have responded to this thread so far. I'm going to Harbor Freight on Saturday to buy a couple of chain hoists to lift the shell. I'm gonna post pics of some of the frame rot that I have so far uncovered. I have gotten into the front end and its pretty crummy esp. the hack job patches to reinforce the frame, its kind of hard to see in the photos because it all just looks like a lot of rust. However from what I can see of the forward cross members and 18 inches or so in from the front on the frame rails theres some solid steel under the rust. I also wanted to give a BIG THANKS to Colin Hyde at Colin Hyde Trailer Restorations, he has been very helpful with some tips as well as encouraging with a great attitude about undertaking a major restoration like many of us have gotten ourselves into. I am purchasing tandem axles from Colin's shop and the price is WAY better than all of the other resources I have been able to find. So I would keep him in your book of Airstream resources.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #17
x

XXXX , XXXX
Althea68 I lifted my shell with a couple of bottle jacks between the floor of the trailer and the framing built to brace the shell. I was quite easy to lift and I did the job alone. If you have some bottle jacks you can save the purchase of chain hoists. Also that way the shell is not swinging around like it would with chain hoists.
Nothing against Colin but have you factored in shipping costs to washington form his N.Y. location. These axles are quite heavy and must be shipped freight which is much higher than parcel rates.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:56 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
North Everett , Washington
Well?

Yeah Wasagachris, I did A LOT of shopping around for axles as well as the continuing and nonstop shopping for parts and such. What I learned was.
1. Do you need new brakes?
2. Do you need new drums, rotors, hardware?
3. Add up what its gonna cost = slightly less than new assy's for both axles with all of the above included, for me.
Honestly even with $300 for delivery to a commercial address for shipping, the price still came in signifigantly lower than if I was to, say drive down to Inland RV in CA. and pick em up myself. Nothing against Inland, I have bought stuff there and have had good experiences as well. I will say though that the prices are going up on a lot of these parts and I would recommend asking, if your just pricing things, if there will be an increase by the time you plan on spending your $$$. Advice garnered from a good source.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:52 AM   #19
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
first question: Shell off for sure. Here is what I use to lift shells.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5780.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	371.2 KB
ID:	121458

Cost me about $150 in materials to build. It could lift the shell and chassis. Doing it shell on will only have you wondering if got to all the areas. Also, it is impossible to do this shell on or off with the belly pan left in place. I will have someone argue this, just to get it out of the way, you are wrong, end of discussion.

On a final note... The axles are made in Indiana. Axis does not ship them to Northern NY then Colin sends them to you, the axle is sent from the factory. I know the "shipping cost" to be a scam perpetrated by many dealers not just the ones selling axles. They are dropped shipped and do not have to go to the dealer first.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I'd check with Frank who just posted above, I believe he also sells axles. You can PM him.

As for the original question. go shell off if you have the space, and it sounds like you do.

I did not have the space, so I had no choice but to do shell-on. There are many things that would be easier with the shell off, but we don't always get that choice.

Good luck!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I may get debated on this - but I don't see the reason to take the shell off if the frame is in good condition - what I did was un-bolt the shell all the way around except for the back and lifted it up a bit - worked great for me... but my frame was in great shape. And yes I don't see how you can do it without removing most of the belly pan. In my case I cut the pan off and left about a foot or so on the edges in the front and back.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Althea68 I lifted my shell with a couple of bottle jacks between the floor of the trailer and the framing built to brace the shell. I was quite easy to lift and I did the job alone. If you have some bottle jacks you can save the purchase of chain hoists. Also that way the shell is not swinging around like it would with chain hoists.
Nothing against Colin but have you factored in shipping costs to washington form his N.Y. location. These axles are quite heavy and must be shipped freight which is much higher than parcel rates.
The axles I sell are custom manufactured for each trailer & it's intended use & are drop shipped from Elkhart, Indiana. Shipping costs are based on Elkhart as the starting point. I do not stock axles at my shop as this can push up the ultimate price to the end user & it doesn't necessarily give the purchaser the axle that he/she actually needs for their project.
Thanks,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Althea68 View Post
So Thanks to all who have responded to this thread so far. I'm going to Harbor Freight on Saturday to buy a couple of chain hoists to lift the shell. I'm gonna post pics of some of the frame rot that I have so far uncovered. I have gotten into the front end and its pretty crummy esp. the hack job patches to reinforce the frame, its kind of hard to see in the photos because it all just looks like a lot of rust. However from what I can see of the forward cross members and 18 inches or so in from the front on the frame rails theres some solid steel under the rust. I also wanted to give a BIG THANKS to Colin Hyde at Colin Hyde Trailer Restorations, he has been very helpful with some tips as well as encouraging with a great attitude about undertaking a major restoration like many of us have gotten ourselves into. I am purchasing tandem axles from Colin's shop and the price is WAY better than all of the other resources I have been able to find. So I would keep him in your book of Airstream resources.
This is how I do "rotisserie" restorations on the chassis. More photos to come.
Thanks,
Colin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2975.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	121654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2984.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	121655  

Name:	IMG_2996.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	121656   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3000.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	380.5 KB
ID:	121657  

Old 02-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Here are a few more.
Colin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3016.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	121658   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3023.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	121659  

Name:	IMG_3000.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	380.5 KB
ID:	121660   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3072.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	121661  

Name:	IMG_3082.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	121670   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3127.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	121671  

Name:	IMG_3133.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	121672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3134.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	121673  

Name:	IMG_3142.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	121674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3154.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	121675  

Old 02-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Colin, that rotessery is the bomb! Boy, that would sure make it easy on one's back!
Marc
Old 02-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #26
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
That is the way to do it! But, not having a mouth full of mouse droppings and inhaling pink urine soaked glass fibers while you lie on your back drilling out the rivets from the belly pan just seems like you're cheating! Thanks for the pics Colin.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Yeah, I've done numerous "body on" & "body off" floor replacements/chassis repairs, however I was always on my back..............Ugggg. This method is much faster, & as you can see, the quality is easier to achieve. I'll never go back to the old method. As you can flip the chassis over in a matter of several minutes, you can use gravity in your favor every step of the way. Airstream used this method in the original construction of the trailer. There are ways to reproduce this approach, as long as you have some sort of roof structure above you to attach the chain hoists to.
Thanks for the compliment,
Colin
Old 02-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #28
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Let me add my thanks for posting these photos, Colin. That doesn't look like super high priced machinery that you use to flip the chassis, and yet as you say, how else could one achieve the quality even if they were willing to eat a ton of junk while developing a bad back?

Thanks, that made a whole bunch of sense for me.

Tags
1968 tradewind, colin hyde, chassis, restoration