Old 05-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Industrial plastics is now on my must do list, I see they also sell marine electronics including Marenco stuff; excellent.

Less positive news is that I just dropped the chassis off to the sandblasters, and it's more than 1 1/2 hrs work, and must be closer to 2 1/2 hrs. $500 Canadian gets it all to bare metal. If they don't have anything else coming in after they blast, I can do the marine clean and metal ready in their heated shop space which would be a bonus. It sounded like I can also use their spray guns if there's time so maybe it'll be a silver lining to the extra expense cloud.

Next time I'm doing it myself, no question. I just don't want to lose the time now I'm on a roll.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0072.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	79652  

Old 05-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Has anyone tried the RemovAll 610 product on the fibreglass end caps?

I thought I might get started on preparing them soon. I need to patch a small crack on one of the inside corners. My plan is to strip them, conduct any repairs needed, prime and finish coat them. After installation I'll touch up or top coat again if needed.

RemovAll 610

I'm also looking at a product called Ayr-Foil A2A insulation by Resisto. It looks similar to the Reflectix but I can pick it up at a lower price. ($149 Canadian for 3/8" x 4' x 125' which should get me through most of the shell).

Ayr-Foil (Bubble products) - Hi-Performance Reflective, Radiant and Vapor Aluminium Foil Barrier Insulation

Old 05-04-2009, 11:39 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Delta , BC
I have used the RemovAll on the end caps and interior it worked great, it works best when sprayed on rather than brushed on.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
Industrial plastics is now on my must do list, I see they also sell marine electronics including Marenco stuff; excellent.

Less positive news is that I just dropped the chassis off to the sandblasters, and it's more than 1 1/2 hrs work, and must be closer to 2 1/2 hrs. $500 Canadian gets it all to bare metal. If they don't have anything else coming in after they blast, I can do the marine clean and metal ready in their heated shop space which would be a bonus. It sounded like I can also use their spray guns if there's time so maybe it'll be a silver lining to the extra expense cloud.

Next time I'm doing it myself, no question. I just don't want to lose the time now I'm on a roll.
Marine Clean and Metal Ready are not needed after sandblasting. If everything has been sandblasted (including new steel), all that is required is blowing the sand dust off. I used a leaf blower. Wanted to be sure, so I called POR 15 up to double check.

Nice they're allowing you to spray in their shop. Remember, the steel must be above 50 degrees F when you apply the paint. Wear a respirator, that stuff will make you really sick if you breathe even a little bit of the fumes! (Don't ask me how I know).
Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I was all set to just spray the POR15 on as suggested but hit a snag. They had another job that needed to get in their shop so not enough time to get the two coats of paint on :-(

I ended up shooting it with the metal ready and dragging it home for pressure washing. Now it 's forecasted to shower on and off so until I see a whole day with rain I can't paint outdoors. I guess if I have to wait 2 or days I may have to do another coat of metal ready before painting but I hope not.

On the up side no stress cracks or anything showed up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0075.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	79818  
Old 05-07-2009, 11:55 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Keep up the good work!
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
California , Kentucky
Truck,
I noticed you have new wheels with hubcap clips.Will they fit 1960's hubcaps? IF so where do I purchase same. RiverRat 1965 Safari
Old 05-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
At last

So with a 40% chance of thunderstorms I decided it was a great day for painting. Two coats of POR15 marine grey, strip coat then two spray coats. It's still drying but no rain just yet. "fingers crossed".

I've got to say the bunny suit, respirator etc was essential. Rolling around in the dirt is bad enough without sniffing chemicals for hours on end. I didn't get much on me which was quite a surprise.

Anyhow I wanted to keep up the forum tradition of beverage referencing so here you go.

Oh and about the wheels, I'm using a couple of the wheels that came with the trailer just while I do the rebuild. I don't know what size hubcaps would fit them as I've already got aluminum rims to go on when Im ready. I do like the steelies with baby moons though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0100.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	79885  
Old 05-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #79

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hold On...

Truck,

It looks as though you're working way too hard. Judging from the amount of beer in the bottle, it looks like your paint application to to beer consumptiuon ratio is out of whack.

Which, by the way is probably why you did not get much por on you during the process.

The work looks great by the way.

Kevin
Attached Images

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
So with a 40% chance of thunderstorms I decided it was a great day for painting. Two coats of POR15 marine grey, strip coat then two spray coats. It's still drying but no rain just yet. "fingers crossed".

I've got to say the bunny suit, respirator etc was essential. Rolling around in the dirt is bad enough without sniffing chemicals for hours on end. I didn't get much on me which was quite a surprise.

Anyhow I wanted to keep up the forum tradition of beverage referencing so here you go.

Oh and about the wheels, I'm using a couple of the wheels that came with the trailer just while I do the rebuild. I don't know what size hubcaps would fit them as I've already got aluminum rims to go on when Im ready. I do like the steelies with baby moons though.
Something about that photo looks oddly familiar...

Nice work. I really enjoyed POR-15ing my frame (yes, it's a verb). And like you, I didn't really get any of it on me. I feel like I must have done it wrong...

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Dude

Dude.....great job.....I want to see more pictures!
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
more photos

I spent days looking at all the shots of chassis work done by forum members, it seemed like the simplest thing but tricky just the same. Here's a shot showing the rear tank frame and an overall shot too. I forgot to say that I used almost 2 quarts on the first coat and exactly 1 for the second. I have one more quart so I'll use it on the wheel wells if I can ever finish cleaning them of goop. So far I've used WD40, 87 Octane gas, marine clean and detergent!

The second shot also shows the extra rails I added for the propane tank mount but you can't see the hidden safety chain attachment under the coupler frame.

This is starting to get fun now..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	79889   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	79890  

Old 05-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Called around for plywood this morning and a boating supply store has Mahogany marine ply (9 layer) for $155. The guy was telling me our dry Alberta climate destroys regular Fir marine ply even when epoxied. (By destroyed he explained that the Fir used contains summer and spring wood and so it checks over a few years). I'm sorely tempted by regular exterior grade with two coats of Epoxy. I'll be using 6 sheets on the floor and 2 partial sheets for the tank supports so the price difference mounts up, $480 exterior grade, $872 marine Fir and lastly mahogany marine $1240.

I'm thinking that the likely failure points will be on the cut edges anyway so the checking should be less of a concern.

If anyone has any tips for finding good stuff in Canada I'm all ears.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Truck, thanks for posting so many pics of your progress. Looks like you are moving along nicely and your work is top notch.
Norm