Old 04-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #421
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
That's a good tip, I'm going to build the cabinet end so that we can get to the fridge back for servicing. Also I thought I'd use mesh in part to allow plenty of heat exhaust and and similar cool air vents at the base of the unit. The modular nature of the cabinet build means that I can try a mock up first and go from there.

More battery quotes arrived, how about $970 Canadian for two 6V batteries? (that's a NO!). Good news is that Randy at BestConverter is able to ship to Canada so that's looking good but on a tip I'm currently checking into Bas Pro shop branded AGM's as there is one just 10 minutes away. At least I'd save the $280 shipping.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #422
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Progress and confusion

I forget to shoot the vanity but that's all framed out much like the dinette/ lounge area.

I've been mucking around with the Precision Temp water heater installation location, the instructions require 20 sq inches of incoming combustion air and just a 2" diameter outlet for exhaust air through the powered vent. I think I'll cut a 5" diameter circle in the floor and fabricate a vent collar but extend it up 12" to avoid water and debris getting in the trailer. For the exhaust vent I can't find anything suitable to allow it to vent through the wall (2" Diameter) so I might vent that through the floor too. The input and output are going to be quite close to each other but that's my best plan so far.

I'm curious though, how can I stop water, insects and debris from getting in whilst booting down the road yet allow smooth unrestricted air flow? Any tips?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2297.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	128122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2299.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	128123  

Old 04-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #423
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
I wish I had a suggestion for you. But I did rip off your holding tank bracket set up
Old 04-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #424
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
...I'm curious though, how can I stop water, insects and debris from getting in whilst booting down the road yet allow smooth unrestricted air flow? Any tips?
I've got a similar problem. All I've been able to come up with so far is an aft-facing scoop with a medium mesh screen. The scoop would project maybe 1.5" below the belly pan, not too bad if it's a couple feet under.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #425
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Swiping ideas is definitely the way to go, that's one of the best things about these forums I reckon.

I think I've come up with a decent solution a bit like your suggestion Zep. I built a box with a large, rear, downward facing hole with a corresponding hole in the belly pan; and a slightly smaller, forward, upward facing hole through the plywood floor. It's all sealed up and insulated. I'm going to build a tray to mount the water heater on with a duct down into the box just described. I hope to get a nice relatively unrestricted amount of intake air and a drainage point all in one unit. I'll probably get a screen made up to cover the downward hole from critters (maybe a scoop too) and use a foam filter at the top to keep any spray out.

We went to an RV dealers open house today and got a deal on some 6V 2200 Ah batteries with vented boxes and a new tongue jack with foot unit. Over the course of the week I ordered all the miscellaneous stuff I could think of from Vintage including the new style Shurflo pump and accumulator tank, some stainless flush vents from iboats.com, a US spec SMEV cooktop, a vessel for the bathroom basin, a discharge pump for the Vacuflush system and a pretty cool sounding 4 tank monitoring system.

I was having a conundrum about the height of the roman tub faucet compared to the rim height on the bathroom vessel basin; luckily I chose a brushed stainless finish on the faucets so the machine shop at work offered to make a riser section for me and I imagine it'll blend in well (they make pretty cool stuff).

With the GF helping out this afternoon we got most of the window trim sections in place ready for riveting and a neighbor moving 3500km away donated a 20lb propane tank to the cause, so now I have 2 free steel 20's, they're sure not aluminum but the price was right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0057.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	128735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	128736  

Old 05-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #426
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I was just playing around with the vented battery boxes and although I had wanted to vent them through the floor it's occurred to me that the inlet vent can be in the floor but the top vent should be above the battery height. I guess this means the vented gas will be ported out through a wall vent but I'm wondering if this would actually affect the aluminum skin or if the gas will be so small and diluted that it's nothing to worry about. I'd be using a stainless vent in the wall.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:40 PM   #427
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
I was just playing around with the vented battery boxes ... but the top vent should be above the battery height.
I wish I could find the post I'm thinking of, but I, too, felt like the hydrogen was a small consideration. I think it would dissipate regardless of whether the vent was above the battery top or not. But some smart member noted that batteries under duress (I don't recall if it was charging a too far discharged battery or if it was during high current discharge) generate an additional toxic gas, sulfuric goom-bah gas, that is really unhealthy. So venting to the outside to take care of this exceptional circumstance is a good idea. I don't think you have to worry about whether the vent is up or down or sideways--gas diffusion will take care of the problem pretty quick, as long as the diffusion path is to the outside air.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #428
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Thanks Zep.

I just ordered grey and fresh tanks; gulp, seems like a big step. I went with 54" x 31" x 7" in polyethylene (marine thickness) with custom fittings. They drain from the top so there's nothing below them. 3 weeks to fabricate and then a couple of weeks with Fedex. For both $430, plus $220 shipping, plus probably $90 "brokerage" fees so I hope I've got the spec right.

I also bead blasted the second Jalousie handle today and I really like the atomic style handles.

I think maybe I should have made some campground reservations for the trip to California in August; it's starting to look like a GO! I kind of thought the state parks with no services would be easy to get into.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #429
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Thanks Zep.

I just ordered grey and fresh tanks; gulp, seems like a big step. I went with 54" x 31" x 7" in polyethylene (marine thickness) with custom fittings. They drain from the top so there's nothing below them. 3 weeks to fabricate and then a couple of weeks with Fedex. For both $430, plus $220 shipping, plus probably $90 "brokerage" fees so I hope I've got the spec right.

I also bead blasted the second Jalousie handle today and I really like the atomic style handles.

I think maybe I should have made some campground reservations for the trip to California in August; it's starting to look like a GO! I kind of thought the state parks with no services would be easy to get into.
Truck if you are planning a trip to the Nor Cal parks they can be quite busy from July into august. Also the camp grounds went to site specific meaning you have to know the site you want you cant pick when you get there. Three parks not to miss are Jedidiah Smith Redwoods, Prairie Creek Redwoods and Patrick's Point State park. I go camping in nor cal every year. If you are going further south to Big Sur I would def make reservations. Big Sur is almost always booked thru Labor Day. If you need more info pm me. You can reserve thru this website Campgrounds and Camping Reservations - ReserveAmerica
Old 05-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #430
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
thanks for the tips, I'm going to get some research done this weekend, no doubt I'll be back with more questions. I fat box from VintageTS arrived today so I've got plenty of installing to do.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #431

1975 31' Sovereign
Okanagan Falls , British Columbia
Batteries give off gasses when charging and discharging.And remember that hot air rises so when things are getting hot the gasses need somewhere to go. The best way to do it is to have a vent at the bottom from the exterior, and a vent to the exterior above the batteries.This will keep everything flowing and venting properly with no build up of any gasses available to go into the interior.You will get smells and dangerous gasses in your coach if not done properly.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #432
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Starting off slow today with a bit of organizing and and whilst getting the fly screens ready for taking to the shop for duplication I notice that I don't have one for the door within a door, just wondering was there ever one?
Old 05-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #433
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
My '60 has one.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #434
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Hmmn, is it curved to fit the door? and how are they held in place.