Old 06-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #169
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Towing with an import!!!!!

The BIG day started around noon and took me 7 hours. Some of that was taken up with cleaning and priming a rib with corrosion but then the scary stuff started...

I lifted the shell about 4", relocated the sawhorses and let all the air out of the trailer tires to get the chassis back in place. I used my trusty Husqvarna to back it carefully in and it worked great.

I just leveled the chassis with axle stands and the BAL stabilizers and bit by bit lowered the shell down moving between the front and back with a 3 1/2 ton floor jack and blocks.

All in all it seems good, the wheel well rivet lines aren't perfect but I can see a way around that. There's just gravity holding the shell, and probably 500 lbs of lumber, down on the chassis right now so I'm hoping for zero storms.

Now I know it will go back together I'll get on with ordering some exterior skin and maybe a tongue jack!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0286.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	83178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0293.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	83179  

Name:	IMG_0303.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	83180  

Old 06-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #170
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
"The Rover Has Landed".

Congratulations!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #171
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Congratulations! She is starting to look like a trailer again.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #172
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Thanks guys, I'm really happy that I can get going on this project now I know the bones are all good.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #173
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
WOW Great job! Keep up the good work man
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
The BIG day started around noon and took me 7 hours. Some of that was taken up with cleaning and priming a rib with corrosion but then the scary stuff started...

I lifted the shell about 4", relocated the sawhorses and let all the air out of the trailer tires to get the chassis back in place. I used my trusty Husqvarna to back it carefully in and it worked great.

I just leveled the chassis with axle stands and the BAL stabilizers and bit by bit lowered the shell down moving between the front and back with a 3 1/2 ton floor jack and blocks.

All in all it seems good, the wheel well rivet lines aren't perfect but I can see a way around that. There's just gravity holding the shell, and probably 500 lbs of lumber, down on the chassis right now so I'm hoping for zero storms.

Now I know it will go back together I'll get on with ordering some exterior skin and maybe a tongue jack!
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #174
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
questions, always the questions

Happy Canada Day!

The shell and bracing is still just sitting in place on the floor so it's time to get it secured. My current plan is to:
-raise the shell about an inch all around
-apply a decent bead of Vulkem 116 onto the belly pan just below the shell but only on the end sections
-maybe apply Vulkem on the inside of the shell just above the C channel
-lower the shell again
-attach the steel bow and door frame brackets (bolt and buck)
-drill, cleco, re-drill and buck the end sections
-remove and replace the side panels, (using mucho Vulkem at this point)

I'm hoping to pick the sheet up in a couple of weeks and maybe I'll get some Vulkem 635 as it's smoother in texture. (Ryan is letting me have some stuff shipped to his business address, how kind is that!)

I think the riveting is going to messy with all the Vulkem so if there's any tips I'm all ears.

Does this sound like an OK plan based on the premise that I keep the curved sections and just replace the straight side panels?
Old 07-02-2009, 07:13 AM   #175
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Happy Canada Day!

The shell and bracing is still just sitting in place on the floor so it's time to get it secured. My current plan is to:
-raise the shell about an inch all around
-apply a decent bead of Vulkem 116 onto the belly pan just below the shell but only on the end sections
-maybe apply Vulkem on the inside of the shell just above the C channel
-lower the shell again
-attach the steel bow and door frame brackets (bolt and buck)
-drill, cleco, re-drill and buck the end sections
-remove and replace the side panels, (using mucho Vulkem at this point)

I'm hoping to pick the sheet up in a couple of weeks and maybe I'll get some Vulkem 635 as it's smoother in texture. (Ryan is letting me have some stuff shipped to his business address, how kind is that!)

I think the riveting is going to messy with all the Vulkem so if there's any tips I'm all ears.

Does this sound like an OK plan based on the premise that I keep the curved sections and just replace the straight side panels?
Yes, the riveting can get messy with all that vulkem. Keep a roll of clean paper towels, a can of WD-40, and a jug of mineral spirits handy. The WD-40 cleans the vulkem off the aluminum (and/or your tools ) and then the mineral spirits will clean the WD-40 up and give the alumunum (and/or your tools ) a final cleaning.

Good luck, sounds like fun!

-Marcus

Oh, and Happy (Belated) Canada Day!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #176
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
analysis paralysis is over

At last the sheet is ordered. I've gone for some 040" for the curb side lower panel (12') and some 032" for the longer panels (16'). I wasn't losing my mind after all, 040" T3 Alclad from Airparts is only available in up to 12' lengths.

I'm getting enough material for the two curb side sheets and lower street side plus one extra length which I can use if I have a hick-up. If there's no errors I'll use it on the tail, roof or maybe the ceiling, we'll see how it all goes.

I've been messing around with iPhoto to see what it wold look like with less curb side windows but I guess I'll see it for real soon. I was looking at nunya001's remodel photos and it's making me think maybe I'm staying too conventional in my thinking.

Quick question #1, I'm looking at Removal 620 (paint on) to strip the layers of paint from the fiberglass end caps whilst they're still out, it seems kind of spendy at $60 (CAD) a gallon and I'd need two probably. Is there anything else I should consider before I order some? (I need to repair a crack in one cap and I'm thinking about cutting the medicine cabinet out if that makes a difference).

Quick questions #2, It's a way off but what rivets will I need to reattach the door hinges and will a 3x gun drive them?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000985.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	83306  
Old 07-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #177
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Quick questions #2, It's a way off but what rivets will I need to reattach the door hinges and will a 3x gun drive them?...
AIRSTREAMGYPSY fixed her door problem a couple months ago and had to take the lower hinge off to replace the adjacent skin. The rivets were weird--very distinctly cone-shaped heads, but I think I recall that they were 5/32 (perhaps you can PM her--she might recall exactly). We used Universal head rivets to replace them. Whether they were 5/32 or 3/16, a 3X gun did a fine job driving them.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #178
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
At last the sheet is ordered. I've gone for some 040" for the curb side lower panel (12') and some 032" for the longer panels (16'). I wasn't losing my mind after all, 040" T3 Alclad from Airparts is only available in up to 12' lengths.

I'm getting enough material for the two curb side sheets and lower street side plus one extra length which I can use if I have a hick-up. If there's no errors I'll use it on the tail, roof or maybe the ceiling, we'll see how it all goes.

I've been messing around with iPhoto to see what it wold look like with less curb side windows but I guess I'll see it for real soon. I was looking at nunya001's remodel photos and it's making me think maybe I'm staying too conventional in my thinking.

Quick question #1, I'm looking at Removal 620 (paint on) to strip the layers of paint from the fiberglass end caps whilst they're still out, it seems kind of spendy at $60 (CAD) a gallon and I'd need two probably. Is there anything else I should consider before I order some? (I need to repair a crack in one cap and I'm thinking about cutting the medicine cabinet out if that makes a difference).

Quick questions #2, It's a way off but what rivets will I need to reattach the door hinges and will a 3x gun drive them?
It's your Airstream, and I am a firm believer in doing anything and everything you like to it. If you've followed my renovation, you know I'm nobody's traditionalist.

But man, I'd hate to see those jalousie windows go. The jalousie windows are one of the top 3 or 4 reasons I chose the particular era that I ended up buying. I absolutely love them.

Also, they do a really nice job of letting in air without letting in rain. But really, for me, the aesthetics are what I like best.

Whatever you do I am certain will be well-done and well thought-out, as is the rest of your renovation. Just throwing in my own $.02 from one early 60s Overlander owner to another. Now, please feel free to completely ignore me, won't hurt my feelings a bit.

-Marcus
Old 07-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #179
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
It's your Airstream, and I am a firm believer in doing anything and everything you like to it. ...

But man, I'd hate to see those jalousie windows go. The jalousie windows are one of the top 3 or 4 reasons I chose the particular era that I ended up buying. I absolutely love them.
Gotta say I agree with Marcus. Many of you know I'm a window hater, in general--all my upper and lower vista view windows are gone in the Overlander, Safari, and Sovereign. Not to mention the wing windows in the Safari, too.

But the jalousies make the models they're in.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #180
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I think you're both right. The jalousie's are probably the ones to keep, even if they may be a weak point in the structure (I read that on the forum so it's not gospel).

The regular curb side unit will still come out for panel replacement but again it will probably go back in otherwise the bathroom would be windowless.

And don't worry the door within a door is safe too....
Old 07-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #181
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Jalousie windows

Jalousie windows, unfortunately cause some shell problems.

1. The jalousie windows that Airstream used, are structurally very weak.

2. Because of that weakness, they considerably weaken the streangth of the shell, forward of the entrance door.

3. The lack of strength in the entrance door jamb, also adds to the problem

4. In time, fatigue crackes will appear in the shell, directly, either at the upper right or upper left corners of the top jalousie windows.

5. That problem can be cured, if a major rebuild will be a goal.

6. Adding vertical bows and horizontal stringers, fore and aft of the jalousie windows, adds enough strength to eliminate the stress cracking problems.

Also, that problem will be accelerated, in the event of lack of proper running gear balance, excessive rated hitch bars, and an excessive rated tow vehicle.

The shell, if not modified, is extremely weak, forward of the door, in all the models that used jalousie windows in that area.

Andy
Old 07-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #182
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Jalousie windows, unfortunately cause some shell problems.

1. The jalousie windows that Airstream used, are structurally very weak.

2. Because of that weakness, they considerably weaken the streangth of the shell, forward of the entrance door.

3. The lack of strength in the entrance door jamb, also adds to the problem

4. In time, fatigue crackes will appear in the shell, directly, either at the upper right or upper left corners of the top jalousie windows.

5. That problem can be cured, if a major rebuild will be a goal.

6. Adding vertical bows and horizontal stringers, fore and aft of the jalousie windows, adds enough strength to eliminate the stress cracking problems.

Also, that problem will be accelerated, in the event of lack of proper running gear balance, excessive rated hitch bars, and an excessive rated tow vehicle.

The shell, if not modified, is extremely weak, forward of the door, in all the models that used jalousie windows in that area.

Andy
I would believe that.

But mine has made it 46 years without any signs of the problems mentioned above, so there you have it.

-Marcus