Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2016, 11:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Redmond , Washington
Shell off: Lifting through the windows?

I'm about to build some gantries to lift the shell on my 73 streamline 31 footer but I prematurely installed my roof vents and fantastic fan; I sealed them up so nice and I really don't want to go tearing them out especially now that the rain is her in Washington.
Any recommendation on a simple way to rig this thing without the proverbial 2by4 through the roof vent idea?
I was thinking 4 cable ratchets (2 per gantry) connected to a beam through the window which would have an additional vertical brace for the ceiling.
thoughts?
WhatidIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
It might work on the body windows. The end cap windows are a big NO! Honesty removing your vents is the best way structurally. To damage your window frames would be bad. Balancing the shell through the windows will be tough too. If removing the vents is an absolutely no. Then I would brace the shell at the bottom and lift that way. Best wishes
Old 10-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I would brace with plywood across the bottom of the door opening and only use 3 cable jacks. It only takes 3 point to support a plain any additional points will result in unequal forces, possibility torquing the body. Place your beams through the windows lifting one of them with 2 cable jack and lifting the other beam with a separate beam above the trailer and cabled to the one through the window. Place the lifting jack on center to that beam.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote