Old 06-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Peasleeville , New York
Shell Off Help

So I know that there are about 20 of these threads, but I cant find the answer, and my intenet source involves hijacking wireless 20 miles from my construction site, so I am going to just ask, (be nice to me I am pretty new to this)
It seems that there is a metal plate in the front of my 31' '74 sovereign that is connecting the frame and the shell. There seem to be a series of rivets across the front holding the plate on. Do thes have to come off, or is there an easier way?

Old 06-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Janesville , Iowa
I don't know about a 74 but my 60 need those rivets drilled out. I would not remove that plate as it give you a clear indicator where your front and center is in relationship to the frame.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Peasleeville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I don't know about a 74 but my 60 need those rivets drilled out. I would not remove that plate as it give you a clear indicator where your front and center is in relationship to the frame.
I would like to limit/eliminate steel touching the shell, galvanic issues seem to be a big issue on the health of the frame, what about replacing it with stainless, or alum plate?
Old 06-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbattin View Post
So I know that there are about 20 of these threads, but I cant find the answer, and my intenet source involves hijacking wireless 20 miles from my construction site, so I am going to just ask, (be nice to me I am pretty new to this)
It seems that there is a metal plate in the front of my 31' '74 sovereign that is connecting the frame and the shell. There seem to be a series of rivets across the front holding the plate on. Do thes have to come off, or is there an easier way?
That steel plate is the "'front hold down plate".

It is a very important part of holding the frame to the shell.

In fact, when you reinstall the shell, add a couple of more rows of rivets, in that plate, for even greater hold down strength.

Andy
Old 06-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Lander , Wyoming
Those rivets will need to come out for a shell off. The metal plate will stay attached to your frame. Ed
Old 06-27-2010, 05:49 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Peasleeville , New York
Thanks all, I will be starting that in a few hours, if things go well I might get the seperation done by dark.
I like the extra row of rivets idea. Thanks Andy.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Janesville , Iowa
Quote:
I would like to limit/eliminate steel touching the shell, galvanic issues seem to be a big issue on the health of the frame, what about replacing it with stainless, or alum plate?
The front of my plate had been painted silver at the factory and I had no corrosion problems. I preped the surface and applied POR-15 (along with the rest of the frame). Should last another 50 years. Good luck! Remember brace that shell well!!!!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
There is also a "'rear hold down plate".........toastie
Old 06-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Peasleeville , New York
Cool find on my plate

So my plate had markings, different than the mentioned silver paint mine has alum. flashing. I did notice enough rust to be concerned that any leaking would create some serious issues in this area, as the steel is structural. what would the draw back be to go to an alum plate? SS?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	web.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	105844  
Old 07-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Peasleeville , New York
Well my shell and frame are apart. I am now working out the issues with my frame: buckle at the axles and plenty of rust. My plan, cut free the cross pieces on one side at a time and weld in a 2x2 x3/16 steel angle. That runs the length of the frame.
Thoughts?
I will then weld up the cross members and repeat it on the other side as well as stiffen the cross members with 3/4" angle.
So the other part of this that has me scraching my head, how do I level/square the frame to get the tail sag out?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Well my shell and frame are apart. I am now working out the issues with my frame: buckle at the axles and plenty of rust. My plan, cut free the cross pieces on one side at a time and weld in a 2x2 x3/16 steel angle. That runs the length of the frame.
Thoughts?
I will then weld up the cross members and repeat it on the other side as well as stiffen the cross members with 3/4" angle.
So the other part of this that has me scraching my head, how do I level/square the frame to get the tail sag out?
Use a good chalk line, or a laser.

Andy
Old 07-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Andy has spoken about blocking the rear level and using the hitch tongue jack to get the ladder frame aft of the axles slightly more lifted than exact 'level' and fabricate the patches... I've not done it, that is secondhand...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote