Old 05-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1977 31' Sovereign
Stuart , Florida
Shell off?

We just bought a 1977 31" Sovereign and are new to the travel trailer world. The frame has a lot of rust that we intend to repair (I am a mechanical engineer and we like think we can do anything; my wife is more practical being a certified welder, works with sheet metal and has a lot of contacts for materials and labor). This may seem like a dumb question but does the interior (appliances, bath, beds, etc.) have to be removed to remove the shell from the frame? It seems from what I have been reading in the forums, with the amount of rust on our Airstream frame a shell off would be the best way to perform repairs.

judflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member
1969 27' Overlander
Lenoir , North Carolina
Welcome to the shell game. You will enjoy it for the most part if you like BIG projects. I removed everything from mine but I have alot of repairing to do so it made things alot more accessable.

ProWelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Yes, you will need to release the inside skins as well as the outside to do a complete shell off. There are bolts in the channels inbetween the skins, the inner skins are a lot easier to get on and off than the outer, but you need the cabinets out of the way.

I actually have mine gutted and I am NOT doing a shell off restoration. It makes it a lot easier to get to things like wiring, plumbing and such.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote