Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2004, 02:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Service Bulletin #29

Has anybody heard of Service bulletin #29 and where I can get a copy with pictures? It has to do with rear end sag and frame failure. I would like to see what A/S has come up with to fix an ongoing problem.
Thanks
Leonard Strom
upallnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 02:30 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Aaron
Your post didn't have any attachments? Bulletin #29 is supposed to describe the installation of frame reinforcement's at the point where the axle attaches to the frame.
It is supposed to apply to all A/S 1982 and earlier. I'm a fairly competant welder, if I could get a look at the reinforcement's I might be able to febricate them in my shop.
Leonard
Old 05-02-2004, 03:10 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Red face Oops sorry

Sorry Leonard,
The file I have is too large to attach, it is over 700k . I was trying to find where I got it from so I could post a link for you....then the power went out and.... Still haven't found the link. The bulletin number I have is #146. Have you tried running a board search for "rear end sag" ? You will find enough reading to keep you busy for at least a month I have the sag also, I am planning on removing the bath and repairing mine from the inside. I also will have to replace the last sheet of plywood too due to rot, and water damage. IIRC the brackets that the factory was using were little more than an L shaped piece of steel, they cut big holes on either side of the rear trunk to install them, then put an "elephant ear" patch over the repair. I would much rather do the repair from the inside and minimize the exterior patches.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 11:40 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Wink service bulletin 29

Take a look at my story of "Service Manuals" in this forum. She should have all bulletins from A/S. I hope that she is still in business. good luck!

Ernie and Jan
JanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 08:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
You can also get a copy of the original "Frame separation" bulletin from Airstream customer service.

Call 877-5966505.

The frame "beef up" kit has nothing to do with the rear end separation.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 02:40 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

I ordered and received Service Bulletin's #1 and #29 from A/S. Bulletin #29 only deals with frame reinforcement. The drawing shows the reinforcement being bolted to the side of the frame at the axle mounting plate. It is Z shaped and not any longer than the mounting plate, I don't see how this can help farther south on the frame than the axle mounting plate.

Bulletin #1 deals with wall separation, it has a cutaway drawing showing 3/4" plywood in the floor, after getting up close and personal with the floor in my A/S I can guarantee you it was 5/8" plywood flooring, was this wishful thinking on the part of A/S Engineering staff? and is this what they recommend as a replacement?
Leonard
On a side note check out this SOB:
http://www.airstreamphotos.com/phot...4955sob-med.jpg

LotalaborAZ
Old 05-11-2004, 03:51 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Your link provides a new meaning to the phrase "adding a room"!!

Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 08:54 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
1993 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Mound City , Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Catfisherman
sob link

That sob reminds me of my old overhead camper I had...it was a Born Free 20 foot overhead camper that had a tag axle, had a queen size bed over the top of the cab, dinette took up the 8 ft truck bed, and the kitchen and bathroom was off the rear of the truck. Born Free exterior was made of Fiberglass and it was rounded like the airstreams... it did look better than this sob though, after having it for almost 16 years Born Free quit supporting it's customers with replacement parts so I sold it. I still miss it at times though.
Catfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:45 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

SOB Link

Carfisherman
I had no idea that these were factory made units, I figured this guy found this SOB and bought it and his wife wouldn't let him bring it home, It is for sale, at only $500, what a steal. I can't believe the Arizona DPS lets this thing on the road. The tag axle is being held against the truck with the strap that you see going around the camper and into the bed then under the camper and onto the tag axle.

LotalaborAZ
Old 05-12-2004, 10:08 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
1993 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Mound City , Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Catfisherman
upallnight
I believe you are correct about this sob being a home made throw together whatever thing, the born free overhead I had for all those years had a tag axle that connected to a special bumper made to order to fit the truck. It used to cost me $100.00 for the bumper and about $150.00 to have it shipped to me every time I bought a different truck. The bumper was made for that specific year and make and the holes drilled into the bumper to mount to the frame. That was one reason I sold it, (Born Free quit custom making the bumpers and wanted me to just go to a medal shop and have them make it up, and secondly with the newer pickup trucks the bed changed shape so that the overhead camper would not fit any longer - needed to be 1989 or older to fit into the bed area correctly.) It looked like a Horse (stock trailer) when off the truck, and was in a way the first version of the 5th wheel. All you did was jack up the front of the camper, jack up the rear of the camper, disconnect the connection bar that went from the rear of the camper to the bumper, and made sure that the wedge pieces on the tag axle cleared the openings in the bumper, unplug the light cord and drive out. I don't think It would be that easy with this home made sob. In addition with all those weight cops out there, the born free was made to be on a 3/4 ton pickup but when loaded would surpass the GVWR of the 3/4 tons. All that fiberglass, 3/4 inch thick wood floors (with stainless steel plating) and the interior wood cabinets, etc.
Catfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote