Old 10-26-2004, 04:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Las Vegas , Nevada
Send a message via MSN to dmadam
Self stick tiles or linoleum?

Am ready to put down new floor and would like to know if anyone has experience with self adhesive tiles. will they lift eventually because of motion. the other option is one piece linoleum.

I have removed all carpet and padding. Sealed the original wood with CPES and laid down 1/4" treated plywood over that in the entire trailer.

Any comments?
Thanks
David

Old 10-26-2004, 05:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Dave,

Congrats on the progress. Use tile if you are after the look but stay away from the self stick, they usually don't stick very well and typically the tile itself is a lower grade. Use a good grade of vinyl tile and a good grade of tile adhesive as recommended by the tile manufacture for use over plywood substrate. I have never used the self stick tile but have replaced several floors that were done using them after the job failed.

Atb,
Royce

'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 05:33 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Las Vegas , Nevada
Exclamation Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce
Dave,

Congrats on the progress. Use tile if you are after the look but stay away from the self stick, they usually don't stick very well and typically the tile itself is a lower grade. Use a good grade of vinyl tile and a good grade of tile adhesive as recommended by the tile manufacture for use over plywood substrate. I have never used the self stick tile but have replaced several floors that were done using them after the job failed.

Atb,
Royce
The linoleum I am looking at is Congloium black and white squares. The tile is 18 inch each with 9 inch black and white squares. the main reason for looking at the self stick is the cost. the self stick would cost about $225 while the linoleum almost $700. plus instalation.
Thanks for the info!
Old 10-26-2004, 08:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I'm a little ahead on the process and I advise to shop around. Linoleum tile is 1.86/sf at ifloors.com (http://www.ifloor.com/group_10393/Li...x-13-Tile.html). Be sure to dicker with them over shipping costs, btw. I haven't installed mine yet (I made a half-hearted attempt at tearing up the old floor for about an hour Sunday). Still, we are very happy with the tiles we got and the price was much closer to the self-stick cost you mention (and fwiw, I've had bad results with self-stick too).

We are going the DIY route, since I've installed several floors before. I've been warned that these tiles may tend to float on their adhesive (apparently resolved by leaving a bit of blue masking tape while it dries). I was also advised to rent one of those nice anvil-type vinyl tile cutters (apparently, makes a much nicer cut). Other than that, I really haven't heard much about installation. I'm still trying to decide whether to remove the furniture or butt up the floor (or a combination approach). Decisions...

Mary
Old 10-26-2004, 10:26 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

I had Armstrong vinyl Industrial tiles installed in my trailer and am pleased with them. I initially wanted to use self adhesive tiles that you can get from the home depot or lowes, but the man who put my floor in said that the heat would melt the glue and they would eventually come up. My new floor is doing great and is not coming up at all and it made it through the summer heat here in GA with no problem. I am please with it and feel like it will be plenty durable.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I put self stick in my bathroom using an extra layer of cement under them and they have stayed down well for over a year in heat and humidity.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 11:21 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
I put down Armstrong self adhesive tile two years ago. I kept the leftover tiles as replacements, if the need arose. The tiles are holding up well. I have had to replace a couple of tiles that because of flexing, where I had coaxed the edge of the tile under a cabinet edge, moved a little and separated from the neighboring tiles. In one thread some time ago, one of the Airstreamers had used self-stick tile and found that they came up in the freezing cold. Apparently the glue crystalizes in the cold and lets go. I live in Florida and don't have to worry about that.

When I replaced the tiles, they were very reluctant to let go of the floor.
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
http://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:11 PM   #8
Cindy

1959 18' "Footer"
Powell River , British Columbia
Hi,
I redid the floor in my 1960 Traveler with linoleum with excellent results. I like the continuous look and that there are no corners to curl up over time.
Cindy
Old 10-26-2004, 01:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Oops! I realized after writing that I neglected to mention the reasons why we went with linoleum:

1. Linoleum does not off-gas harmful vapors, so it is healthier than vinyl (self-stick tiles are vinyl)
2. Linoleum is a traditional material that give a trailer a nice vintage feel and it comes in lots of fun colors.
3. Linoleum tile is considerably lighter in weight than vinyl
4. Linoleum is considered a premium flooring and adds to the value of the trailer
5. Linoleum is a natural biodegradeable product made from linseed oil. OTOH, Vinyl flooring will not degrade, so it just adds to the waste stream.
6. Linoleum has a more durable surface than vinyl. It resists scratches and if it does end up getting scratched, the surface marring doesn't as much as vinyl (this the result of my nephew's unscientific test of destroying several sample tiles we collected). FWIW, vinyl showed the most wear and tear, cork was the easiest to scratch, but showed the least damage, lino was the hardest to scratch, but in the middle for showing damage.
6. Linoleum is not as moisture sensitive as cork (and I"m dubious about sealers, since I've never found a polyurethane sealer that didn't eventually go white or flake up)

BTW--I just heard at my local woodworking shop that (at least in VA), they will not be permited to sell polyurethane after 2006 because its vapors are considered as a health hazard. So, another reason to love linoleum (though I don't know about the adhesive)!

Now we haven't put the product into practice yet, so our road experience may end up different--though everyone we know who has lino loves it.

Mary
Old 10-26-2004, 09:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up Happy as clams!

Quote:
Now we haven't put the product into practice yet, so our road experience may end up different--though everyone we know who has lino loves it.
Our sheet linoleum (not vinyl) has been down for three seasons now. Looks as good as the day it was installed...would do it again in a minute!

Personally, I would stay as far away from self-stick tiles as possible...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 11:07 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Las Vegas , Nevada
Thanks all

Ok you all convinced me. Linoleum it is. Mannington black and white checks shown below. I am doing the whole trailer in Black and White with Stainless galley.

The linoleum will cost around $600 plus install but the baby is worth it.

Thanks again
David
Attached Images