Old 11-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #29

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Good Luck Nick,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst View Post
Many thanks, Kevin and Brian, that's just the information I need. Nick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
GMAW is a versatile process that can be used for all position welding in spray, globular, or short circuit transfer modes.
On Edit...I need to clarify the statement above. All transfer methods will work for flat position welding, but only short circuit will work for all positions.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #30
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
(snip) . . 1/8" is a more commen size but is heavier than needed and will contribute to you blowing holes in the base metel which you will then have to weld shut. . .
In my case, I just keep blowing the hole bigger until I need to use a fish plate to cover it up.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #31
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
If money was no object....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
If your frame is really bad, and there are no local welders available...

Then why not have a new frame with axle(s) and tires built and go pick it up or have it delivered to you? Perhaps P & S Trailer, or even the factory could furnish you with a replacement trailer.

Of course Iowa or Minnesota might be possibilities too.

You end up with a frame and suspension in first class condition and you're ready to start the reconstruction within weeks instead of months.

Paula
Thanks Paula,
I think this would be a good option if we were 100% sure of the quality of 66% of the frame. The back 33% looks pretty bad and the rest is "okay" maybe (?). If we were absolutely sure it junk 100% ,we could/would go that route. The other issue is when you live in the middle of ND, not all the options that are available in other areas are available here. Creativity and different options are a must. I must say, I am learning so much from all of the great sharing on these posts. Thanks for your help.
Sandy
Old 11-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #32
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Gee, can you come to visit ND?

I am thinking a nice trip to ND is in your future.... Let us know when you are coming up and I will make sure we have all of the necessary requirements....If it was only that easy I appreciate the wisdom you shared and I will pass it along to the man behind the curtain. Thanks!
Sandy
Old 11-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
Thanks Paula,
I think this would be a good option if we were 100% sure of the quality of 66% of the frame. The back 33% looks pretty bad and the rest is "okay" maybe (?). If we were absolutely sure it junk 100% ,we could/would go that route. The other issue is when you live in the middle of ND, not all the options that are available in other areas are available here. Creativity and different options are a must. I must say, I am learning so much from all of the great sharing on these posts. Thanks for your help.
Sandy

If money were no object...

Well, your experience may differ... but generally it costs me far more every time I try to do something for a bargain price. In my case simply because I have to do it all over again. I've thrown away more "bargains" or had to spend more money maintaining them constantly than I care to admit. You're considering buying a welder and taking a welding class - both things that could make you some serious money if you have the time and inclination to pursue them. (Which would leave less time for Airstreaming.) I simply maintain the for the cost of said welder and all the accoutrements, the steel, the outriggers, the bits and pieces, plus the tuition for the class... you've got 80% or more of the cost of a new frame. Oh, and then you still have to build the frame or repair the old one.

You're in N. Dakota - but a frame on wheels with brake lights rigged up could easily be towed 500 miles. A 2 day trip and two tanks of gas, then you put down your floor and start assembling. Time IS money.

There was a time when our business was so poor that every counter that got built, every carpet that got scrubbed and every office that got painted was done by us. If I had to, I could do it again. Now I enjoy saying "do it" and paying for painless! I still do it myself IF it's a hobby I enjoy or IF I can't find someone who is a real artisan to do it for me, and I know I'm able to do a better job myself. I've also forced myself to be a "selective" perfectionist. I could have done a better job painting the operator's bathroom myself. But 25 people us it without caring how well it's done. It ain't the Sistine Chapel. I have plenty of projects with higher priorities. I don't care about a perfectly painted pissoire! (A really GREAT frame for an Airstream... structurally, functionally and long term survival all say that is important to have it done WELL.)

It always comes down to "can I afford it?" Sometimes you CAN if you think creatively. Go through your possessions looking for anything you've collected that has sat in a dusty box or storage space for 5 years. You CAN afford to sell that! Can you work a temporary job between now ans Christmas? A new frame wouldn't fit under the tree but...

Happy trails whichever way you get there! Paula
Old 11-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #34
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Must ask.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
In my case, I just keep blowing the hole bigger until I need to use a fish plate to cover it up.
What is a fish plate? I can imagine but need the real answer....Thanks.
Sandy
Old 11-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Tuttle , Oklahoma
There are good and bad aspects to getting a welder and fixing the frame yourself,
Good: the experience and knowledge gained, probably save some money, you will have the welding equipment and probably more expertise than most hobby welders, personal satisfaction of knowing YOU did it, the welding equipment can be sold if you no longer need it.
Bad: work area, inside on a concrete floor would be best, sizable tool expense particularly if buying quality equipment, You won't get what you paid for it if re-sold, sizable expense for the steel and possibly hard to find locally, finally and this is the big one, the welds must be structurally good and this takes practice and usually someone to teach you.
My best advice is don't be afraid of the job but do get some training first. The welding class would be a perfect start and will teach you what you will need in a welding machine too. It sounds like the weather won't let you work outside right now anyway. You may also find that once you get your foot in the door there, you will have more help than you expected, possibly even from the instructor.
Darrell
Old 11-26-2010, 02:23 AM   #36
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
What is a fish plate? I can imagine but need the real answer....Thanks.
Sandy
It's a plate that reinforces a butt welded frame repair. It's called that because the shape resembles a fish in the way the weld beads are finished.

But in the case I mentioned above, it would be purely decorative.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Carp diem!

Make sure the fish plate is welded in the correct plaice. You won't need the dexterity of a brain sturgeon, and fish plates are a fine solution when used for their proper porpoise.
Nick.
P.S Sorry, Don, but fins aren't what they used to be....
Old 11-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #38
Site Team

, Minnesota
I guess if your trailer is in pisces, and you bream of getting it back togarther, you sometimes need to throw a tarpon it until the spring.

Nick, that was a very finny post.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Something smells fishy to me. Adios, John
Old 11-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #40
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Uffda

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I guess if your trailer is in pisces, and you bream of getting it back togarther, you sometimes need to throw a tarpon it until the spring.

Nick, that was a very finny post.
Uffda times two!
Old 11-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #41
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
We have a big, fat maybe

Tomorrow a husband of a friend of my daughter's is going to come and take a look at the Tross. It will be the first person outside of us to gaze upon it's sorry state of frame decline. Now to see if he actually shows up and decides not to run at first glance. Story to continue....might be the fastest departure on record. If we can just get him to stay long enough to utter some sort of direction....besides run for your lives.... we will feel grateful.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #42
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
WoW, this is getting interesting!

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, repair