Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
We might have a plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
I'm glued to this thread to see y'alls answer to well liner installation!

I'm locked into the same, I omitted wheel well liners on reassembly.

For me it was seeing the cheesy tuck-in the factory executed, leaving one to two-inch gaps between floor edge and the liner filled with tubes-worth of vulkem dumped in each side complete with snared rivets, shavings and paper from the assembly line... that had failed to glue the slick plastic anyway.

When I pulled them out the asphalt-based sealer/adhesive tape had totally failed from the amount of flexing heave and shrink they'd experienced, picture rubbing a wet paper label off a glass jar and thats how it looked. Plus they certainly interrupt the level of the floor.

I have the originals to model the new ones from - thinking maybe reinforced diamond-plate aluminum to handle possible tire problems...
For some reason, our wheel wells were about shot on this trailer. I am not sure how that happened but my guess is that when the back fell out somewhere a few decades ago, that might have contributed to the wheel well failure. First thing my husband said when we got the first look at my Ebay purchase "What happened to that thing?". He noticed the rear curbside was dropped and little did we know the problems that caused.

We ordered new wheel wells awhile back and they have been here patiently waiting for us to start moving ahead. I spent a few hours cleaning "stuff" out of the wheel well channels before we thought to check the new ones against the old ones. They are different in the way they fit so we had to devise Plan B.

The coolest repair I have ever seen on this trailer was the 2 by 4 wedged in the rear end holding the black tank up. That was not something suggested by my dearest and despite his prowess as a woodworker, he did not endorse that method of frame repair to the Albatross. I don't think he is going to try to this method for the wheel wells either.

I would stay tuned on this placement of the wheel wells. Right now he is figuring out the banana wraps so the wheel wells will be happening shortly. If it doesn't work, we will be back to the drawing board. I think your idea may be a good one. We are learning as we go..and stealing lots of great ideas off of the good folks from the AS Forums.
Sandy

Old 11-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #254
x

XXXX , XXXX
Well that solves the mystery, but I thought you were the BOSS. LOL
Sorry I didn't mention it yesterday but your trailer is looking really good. The floor looks fantastic especially with a shell attached.
I'm back on polishing now. Spent 6 hrs on it today and let me tell you i don't miss it one bit.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #255
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Progress like a turtle in sand with the tide going out

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
I am gonna run a bead of sealent on the very top of the channel where it meets the inner skin. I was thinking about going with rain gutter seal. It is suppose to wick into cracks, as the trempro doesnt. I was reading a thread by Truckasauras he thinned the trempro down with some kind of thinner. I think I am going to pm him and arrowood.
You guys are knocking it out! This is quickly becomming my fav thread!
Glad you are enjoying it and I am enjoying telling it blow by blow. Well maybe "Bang, bang, bang, bang" as the rivets hit the channel. This has most definitely been a learning experience every step of the way. We spend considerable time thinking things over and I am constantly consulting the Forums for information on each dilemma as we face it.

I think it is great that people are willing to offer up their time and experience to help others. We have gained so much from the people here. I think we serve more as an example of a turtle in the sand working against the tide. I keep telling my dearest that the next ten Airstreams we do will go much faster! Somehow he is not amused....
Sandy
Old 11-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #256
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Thanks Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Well that solves the mystery, but I thought you were the BOSS. LOL
Sorry I didn't mention it yesterday but your trailer is looking really good. The floor looks fantastic especially with a shell attached.
I'm back on polishing now. Spent 6 hrs on it today and let me tell you i don't miss it one bit.
I like that he thinks he's the boss because then he doesn't realize that I am really the boss . I think he knows but let's all pretend he is Mr. Boss just for fun...

Thanks for the support on this project. It is slow going and everything seems to take a lot longer than we expected. And a lot more money and time. We are counting this as our entertainment as well. We must be the saddest couple to find this amount of work entertaining.

Dearest got one wheel well attached and is about done with the second one. He took angle aluminum and put it under the wood and up to the plastic of the wheel well. I can't describe it very well but I think his plan is going to work. He spent most of the day working on it so I hope it is good to go. My part is to go around and paint all the surfaces and then put sealant down as we go.

Meanwhile, I have undertaken the renovation of the emblems on the outside of the trailer. I have read that some people sand theirs down but not exactly sure about that step. I got the "Airstream" letters all taped up and ready to go. I am thinking I will use an artist's brush to put the blue in the letters. Any other suggestions?

I also got the red and white paint for the Airstream logo on the side. I think it is going to take longer to do the taping than the painting. I am sure other people are going to do it faster and better but I am going to give it a whirl.

I will post some pictures of that little part in the next few days. Depends upon how far I get tomorrow. I seem to end up doing a fair amount of running into town to get this and get that. Gopher is my name...
Sandy
Old 11-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #257
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Wheel wells in and looking pretty good...

Here are some pictures of the new wheel wells and some of the other progress on the Albatross. It doesn't seem like we have been accomplishing much at all but we have been busy all day over the holiday break. Except for me....I was cooking on Thursday and running for supplies and painting the rest of the time. My husband has been the hardest worker on this project so far.

WS Chris:
I tried and tried to convince him to order a new segment for the big hole in the front but he insisted on a patch. This one looks better than the old one but I would have preferred a new segment. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose....
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Late November 2011 Pacer and Albatross 030.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	146077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Late November 2011 Pacer and Albatross 038.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	146078  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Late November 2011 Pacer and Albatross 024.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	146079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Late November 2011 Pacer and Albatross 022.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	146080  

Old 11-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #258
x

XXXX , XXXX
Sandy really looking good. The patch will look better than a replacement if you want to polish the trailer.
About your question on the emblems and letters. I removed mine to paint them and then sanded down the face to get that part to shine.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #259
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
I did it the hard way

Quote:
Sandy really looking good. The patch will look better than a replacement if you want to polish the trailer.
About your question on the emblems and letters. I removed mine to paint them and then sanded down the face to get that part to shine.
I as usual did it the hard way. I have to leave them on the trailer because dearest said he wasn't taking them off. I worked all day on them and they are not close to being done. Maybe by Christmas....I have been handpainting them bit by bit. I tried the Vaseline trick shared on the Forums...I think I did something wrong because I couldn't get it to work. Back to the drawing board.
Sandy
Old 11-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #260
x

XXXX , XXXX
I still have a few placards to deal with. they are the ones with the raised painted letters. Haven't figured out how to get them painted after polishing them.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #261
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
On to windows

My husband removed the living room curbside window tonight after work with the idea to fix the huge bubbles and mess from between the two panes. He said he doesn't see any way to fix them besides drilling out the rivets and then separating the two panes. Sounds like risky business but we don't have a lot of choices because they are a mess.

The three windows in the front (two wings and the center pane) have about an inch or two of "stuff" protruding into the window space now. They are truly awful and will need a lot of work. I have read through the window repair posts and everyone seems to be talking about different window types and procedures. Does any one have all double pane windows that they have removed and successfully repaired? What is used to keep the panes apart once you clean them out and try to put them back in? Do you have to use a spool gun to weld the aluminum frames back at any point? Looking for answers and suggestions. Thanks...
Sandy
Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #262
x

XXXX , XXXX
Sandy this is the best thread on repairing windows.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ilm-37422.html
Old 11-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #263
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Thanks Chris

Quote:
Sandy this is the best thread on repairing windows.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ilm-37422.html
Thanks for that link. I have looked at many of the window links but don't understand what keeps the two panes apart. It appears there is a silver or aluminum piece in between the two panes and not sure what that is or where to get it. Do we just put in butyl tape or is there actually a gasket that goes in there? I have looked at different suppliers too and can't see that part listed anywhere. I am still not clear on this part of the window repair.
Sandy
Old 12-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #264
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Husband did some work on the exterior lights today on the Albatross and has been cleaning all of those up and replacing all of the lenses. I only wish the rest of the trailer looked as good as these lenses do right now. We have all new cans for the back lights and will be putting in those along with all new lenses. Some of the bases of these lights were so corroded and degraded that we just bought the entire base and lense as a set. One step at a time, one step at a time. Great news is that my husband got me a gift certificate to Vintage Trailer Supply for my birthday. I think I can find a few things there I want
Sandy
Old 12-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #265
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Second impression tomorrow

Daughter, son in law, and two little granddaughters are going to get their second look tomorrow at the Albatross since they first viewed it in September 2010. All my daughter could say then was "This is quite the project." and "Are you guys sure you want to tackle such a big project?"
That was back before we had any idea of what we were getting ourselves into.

I have been telling my daughter over the phone since the first visit to the smelly mouse ridden, dirty old AS, it is going to be quite different today. I know we aren't very far along but compared to where we started, we are moving along. I will report comments on the up close and personal responses tomorrow. I would like them to fall in love with aluminum the way we have. Hopefully they don't attempt to get us committed to the insane asylum for putting this much time, detail, effort, and money spent on big shiny trailers.
Sandy
Old 12-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #266
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
Daughter, son in law, and two little granddaughters are going to get their second look tomorrow at the Albatross since they first viewed it in September 2010. All my daughter could say then was "This is quite the project." and "Are you guys sure you want to tackle such a big project?"
That was back before we had any idea of what we were getting ourselves into.

I have been telling my daughter over the phone since the first visit to the smelly mouse ridden, dirty old AS, it is going to be quite different today. I know we aren't very far along but compared to where we started, we are moving along. I will report comments on the up close and personal responses tomorrow. I would like them to fall in love with aluminum the way we have. Hopefully they don't attempt to get us committed to the insane asylum for putting this much time, detail, effort, and money spent on big shiny trailers.
Sandy

You're living right! So you have nothing to worry about!
I'm getting ready to drop the Spartan I bought off at my mom and my step dad's farm. They aren't vintage trailer people, but I think they will be as soon as they get a glimpse of this elegant lady. OR they could call me crazy...
SO you see..it can work both ways

Tags
frame, repair