Old 11-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #239
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Wow that is so great congradulations! hope to see more pics of the lifting process and inside braceing!

Old 11-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #240
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
More to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Wow that is so great congradulations! hope to see more pics of the lifting process and inside braceing!
Thanks Marzboy,
I am pretty excited to have the lowering started even if it is just starting. It is almost dark when we get home from work now so not a lot goes on with much but now that the Albatross is inside, we will be able to do some in the evening. I am not even sure where to start but it feels pretty darn good.

Our next question is how to get the distance made up front to back setting it back down. I think my husband has something figured out and he'll let me know if I have to do something. This is going to be really fun!
Stay tuned.
Sandy

Old 11-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #241
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Rosie the Riveter rides again

Today we bucked our first rivets and have almost all of the channel on the shell. The rest will be done tomorrow and then we can attach it to the floor. Some things were harder than we expected (getting the shell down without catching the ribs and getting all of the holes in the shell to line up with the channel) and other things were easier (bucking is more fun than it sounds). It is great to see some progress on this project!

One question I have is about a number of free floating aluminum segments that are between the ribs of the outer shell. They are just lengths of channel type material (some has holes and others don't) that sit in between the ribs on the shell. We can't see that any of them have ever been attached but they just kind of sit there cross ways between the ribs. These pieces can be taken out and put back in with no trouble but we can't see what they are meant to be.

Another question is why there are some areas where there is no channel. There are three spots where there was no channel for a couple of inches. My husband says there has never been channel in those areas for no known reason. I wonder if they just didn't measure well and decided to use the too short channel pieces anyway. I think my husband is going to try to figure out a patch for those areas but I am concerned that it be able to keep the mice out and is sealed up well. Any ideas out there?

A final item from today is if I should go around on the top of each segment of channel with sealant before we start insulating and running wires? I didn't see any sealant above the channel from before but thought it was a good idea. I have also been entertaining thouights of how to seal every hole from the inside before we do anything else like wiring or insulation. Thoughts?
Rosie
Old 11-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #242
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Ahhh yes the bucking of rivets. I actually love doing it. Lowering the shell and lineing it all up is tricky. I was supprised that I got most of it matched up. I don't think you can go wrong with running a bead of sealant above the inside channel. I'm gonna do it.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #243
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Seal everything, then go back with the leftover sealant and seal again. If you still have time then go buy more sealant and seal again.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #244
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Sealant

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Ahhh yes the bucking of rivets. I actually love doing it. Lowering the shell and lineing it all up is tricky. I was supprised that I got most of it matched up. I don't think you can go wrong with running a bead of sealant above the inside channel. I'm gonna do it.
How are you planning to put the sealant on the inside channel? Do you have a special way to do it? We have a large syringe that my husband used to seal each of the rivet holes. I was thinking of just using that unless you have a better way.
Sandy
Old 11-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #245
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
More sealant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
Seal everything, then go back with the leftover sealant and seal again. If you still have time then go buy more sealant and seal again.
I will definitely use plenty of sealant. I am wondering if I should seal all of the not replaced rivets as well. The windows all have to come out and that will mean we can't do the insulation just yet. We are trying to think of all the possible things to do before we start rebuilding the inside.
Sandy
Old 11-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #246
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
We have a shell attached to a floor!!

If you can believe it, we have a shell attached to a floor!! Yippee!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	November 2011 023.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	145683   Click image for larger version

Name:	November 2011 025.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	145684  

Click image for larger version

Name:	November 2011 030.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	145685  
Old 11-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #247
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Wow! That's great Sandy. Congratulations on a big accomplishment!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #248
x

XXXX , XXXX
Uh Sandy I don't see any wheel wells. I hope you hubby has a plan on how to get them under the edge of the floor with the shell in place. The black outer whell wells have a lip that goes under the edge of the floor between the floor and the outriggers. That way they seal the opening between the floor and the wheels keeping the road water and debris away from the floor.
This may be an UFFDA moment.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #249
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
I hope he has a plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Uh Sandy I don't see any wheel wells. I hope you hubby has a plan on how to get them under the edge of the floor with the shell in place. The black outer whell wells have a lip that goes under the edge of the floor between the floor and the outriggers. That way they seal the opening between the floor and the wheels keeping the road water and debris away from the floor.
I hope my husband has a plan for that; he usually has about 39 steps ahead of me all figured out. I know the wheel wells don't fit the same channel as we had before and we have to either order some parts or figure out something that will work. I don't want to be unhooking the shell at this point but I guess if we have to, then it will truly be an Uffda!

Another uffda is that I made 120 rounds of lefse today in preparation for Thanksgiving. Just like we didn't have anything better to do this weekend. The show must go on....
Sandy
Old 11-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #250
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
I'm glued to this thread to see y'alls answer to well liner installation!

I'm locked into the same, I omitted wheel well liners on reassembly.

For me it was seeing the cheesy tuck-in the factory executed, leaving one to two-inch gaps between floor edge and the liner filled with tubes-worth of vulkem dumped in each side complete with snared rivets, shavings and paper from the assembly line... that had failed to glue the slick plastic anyway.

When I pulled them out the asphalt-based sealer/adhesive tape had totally failed from the amount of flexing heave and shrink they'd experienced, picture rubbing a wet paper label off a glass jar and thats how it looked. Plus they certainly interrupt the level of the floor.

I have the originals to model the new ones from - thinking maybe reinforced diamond-plate aluminum to handle possible tire problems...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #251
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
I will definitely use plenty of sealant. I am wondering if I should seal all of the not replaced rivets as well. The windows all have to come out and that will mean we can't do the insulation just yet. We are trying to think of all the possible things to do before we start rebuilding the inside.
Sandy
I am gonna run a bead of sealent on the very top of the channel where it meets the inner skin. I was thinking about going with rain gutter seal. It is suppose to wick into cracks, as the trempro doesnt. I was reading a thread by Truckasauras he thinned the trempro down with some kind of thinner. I think I am going to pm him and arrowood.
You guys are knocking it out! This is quickly becomming my fav thread!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #252
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
I have the story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Hey Chris,
I asked the boss and he said the wheel wells are attached by a channel that fits over the subfloor and has a channel on the top that the plastic wheel wells sits in. Our replacement wheel wells are different than the originals so that whole affair had to be modified anyway. He said he thinks he will put on aluminum angle iron and then attach the wheel well on top with more aluminum channel. That and lots of sealant. Hopefully this works....we should probably be investing in sealant factories by the time all is said and done.
Sandy

Tags
frame, repair