Old 11-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #225
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy
How did I get myself into this?!
The plan is now complete... You think it was your idea... Muhaha...

Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #226
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Oh it all started so innocently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
How did I get myself into this?!
It started so innocently with you helping me with advice and it morphed into a long distance trip to deliver a piece of equipment to ND. You probably have never been here before so think of it as an adventure.

See this is how things start in life. First you help someone and then it turns into you doing it. That is how I end up with everyone's mending. I tell people how to do it, they say they don't understand, I show them how to do it, and pretty soon they have drifted off and I have a pile of mending. Hmm...I am beginning to see something here.

So when do I expect your arrival?
Sandy

Old 11-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #227
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Did you know you can make

Your own brake?

How to Build a Sheet Metal Brake - Building Sheet Metal Brakes
Old 11-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #228
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Too funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkspeed View Post
The plan is now complete... You think it was your idea... Muhaha...
Let's continue to let him think it was his idea and now he'll feel obligated to bring his equipment here and by that time, I can convince him to stay and show us how it works. Then we can say we don't get it and then....we just give him piece after piece of aluminum. If he seems to be wavering...we tell him we have the world's largest buffalo to show him when he's done. Then we take a break and feed him buffalo stew. Then we tell him "Time to get to work!"

I was thinking he could be pretty handy to help us get the shell back on as he has done it already. This plan could really work as long as Marzboy doesn't catch on to our nefarious plan. Don't anyone tell him. It is our little secret.
Sandy
Old 11-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #229
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
That would deprive Marzboy of a trip to ND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
But then if we do this, how does Marzboy justify a trip to ND to bring me his gently used one? You are making things too easy.
Sandy
Old 11-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #230
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
How to Build a Sheet Metal Brake:

Step 1: You will need a sheet metal break and other assorted tools for this project..
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #231
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
First real work done by me

I have to confess to everyone on the Forums that I have done little actual work on the Albatross other than holding this, grab that, paint this, order that, ask this,etc. to date. I usually am the person who tells my husband what the people on the forums are saying about whatever topic we are looking to understand while he does the work.

Today I was given the task to remove all of the sealant off of the channel that my husband removed from the base on the trailer. I wore a bit of a hole in my hand with the tool I was using even with gloves on but it was great to see progress on the trailer. We are going to have to get more channel because some of ours was beyond repair.

I was getting so excited to think we might be about ready to start dropping the shell back on soon when my husband said the channel we need is on back order and "You have all the sealant to get off the inside skins before we can think about moving the trailer." It made my hand hurt just to think about it. Tomorrow, a couple of bandaids should really help out and every scrape of the tool means one step closer to the final goal.

Now if Marzboy would just show up with that metal break....
Sandy
Old 11-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #232
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Do you have a heat gun? Your husband will know what that is. A good quality hair dryer maybe with high heat settings? That will loosen the old sealent and help a lot with the removal process.

I'm sure you have under-estimated the help you provide. Most of a mans motivation in a project like this is the interest his wife shows in it.

Looking good, your husband is an attention-to-detail kind of project guy.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #233
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Lucky me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
Do you have a heat gun? Your husband will know what that is. A good quality hair dryer maybe with high heat settings? That will loosen the old sealent and help a lot with the removal process.

I'm sure you have under-estimated the help you provide. Most of a mans motivation in a project like this is the interest his wife shows in it.

Looking good, your husband is an attention-to-detail kind of project guy.
Fortunately I got a heat gun a couple of years ago for my husband and he said "'What do I want that for?" It sat in the box until today when I used it on removing the sealant. I don't know what I would have done without it and it still took some of my hide off. Goes to show I should be working more and reading less.

Thanks for the kind words on my husband's work. He is such a perfectionist and really takes the time to do the job right. We wouldn't have any Airstreams if he wasn't willing to do the restoration work. I am more Airstream crazy than he is so sometimes he has to tell me "Settle down there."
Sandy
Old 11-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #234
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
More sealant removal

Today I got the rest of the sealant off on the outer skin, inside edge all the way around. Now that project is done. I was hoping we would be lowering the shell back on today but not a chance. My husband is still working on putting everything back together on the frame and double checking everything. I came into the Rookery about a half hour ago and he was checking the amount of sag from front to back with his laser level. Uffda.

Tomorrow I am headed out for the day to visit my aunt about 100 miles from here so I will not be working on the Airstream. I am guessing I won't be able to convince my husband to leave the project for the day so he will likely get work done without me. Slow going these days despite working on it all day.
Sandy
Old 11-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #235
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Look what happened while I was gone...

I arrived after dark tonight after a long day today to find:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fall 2011 250.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	145162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fall 2011 254.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	145163  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fall 2011 258.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	145164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fall 2011 260.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	145165  

Old 11-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #236
x

XXXX , XXXX
Congradulations Sandy. It won't be long now and you'll have a one piece trailer. No Uffda involved there. Now you'll be able to work on her all winter long inside the rookery.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #237
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Movement in the right direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Congradulations Sandy. It won't be long now and you'll have a one piece trailer. No Uffda involved there. Now you'll be able to work on her all winter long inside the rookery.
Thanks Chris,
It is nothing like your journeys and accomplishments, but for us, a big deal. I can't believe my husband separated the frame from the shell over a year ago. I never thought it would take so long but it takes what it takes. It is just amazing to look in the door and see an actual floor in amongst the two by fours. I am so happy!

It is not lowered down on the floor yet but we are planning to do that next weekend. The pressure is off now that we have it inside. The edges are really close and the front to back is off by about 4-5". I am not sure what he has planned to get that moved but he usually figures something out.

We are looking forward to working on it all winter. It should keep us out of trouble for quite some time and all of our entertainment budget will goes towards purchases of tools, parts, and other fun stuff. We are going to replace all of the appliances except the stove because it looks fairly new and hopefully it works. I can't wait to get started.
Sandy
Old 11-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #238
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Progress is always slow and in small steps, but a visual like the photos above make it all worth it. Looking great and all inside - things will move faster now.

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, repair