Old 11-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #211
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
Thanks Splitrock,
I did talk to a couple of people today so I am going to see what can be done locally. I will need all of the channel that holds the wheel wells down and enough channel for the entire skin to be replaced on the frame. Does anyone know how much channel I need to do a trailer this size?
Sandy

There's a thread here somewhere where somebody made the channel and showed how it was done. Maybe do a url specific search on "channel".

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:29 PM   #212
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Hi Sandy
Not sure how much you will need but I made mine with a 36" metal break
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3150029.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	144847  

Old 11-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #213
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Do you buy a sheet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Hi Sandy
Not sure how much you will need but I made mine with a 36" metal break
Hey Marzboy!
I did remember your metal break but I don't know how you work them. I think my husband could figure it out but my biggest question is if what to buy for the raw material. Is it a sheet of aluminum that you cut into strips or do you buy strips and bend them ?

I would like to get one of these metal breaks because I can see they would be very handy. Especially if we want to use them on a couple of trailers....plus the one I haven't found yet . The shipping here would be atrocious so maybe I can find a used one. I did look at Ebay but they often specify local pickup or lots for shipping. I am also going to try to see if anyone around can make them for us. If not, I will have to order it premade and wait on that to arrive. Thanks for your input and keep posting pictures on your progress. I'm watching....and learning.
Sandy
Old 11-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #214
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Cool! Here it is!

Nice job!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #215
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Hey Marzboy!
I did remember your metal break but I don't know how you work them. I think my husband could figure it out but my biggest question is if what to buy for the raw material. Is it a sheet of aluminum that you cut into strips or do you buy strips and bend them ?

I would like to get one of these metal breaks because I can see they would be very handy. Especially if we want to use them on a couple of trailers....plus the one I haven't found yet . The shipping here would be atrocious so maybe I can find a used one. I did look at Ebay but they often specify local pickup or lots for shipping. I am also going to try to see if anyone around can make them for us. If not, I will have to order it premade and wait on that to arrive. Thanks for your input and keep posting pictures on your progress. I'm watching....and learning.
Sandy
@ Sandy All you need to do is buy some sheets of aluminum and cut them into strips(I used an air shear). Then I just copied a piece of old channel. I used 3003 H14 .032 I wished I would have used 5052 H32 .032 (much stronger and corrosion resistant). Its not that difficult to figure out, and judging by your husbands handiwork that should be no problem. I picked mine up on ebay for $150 used ($250 new harbor freight). The guy even delivered it right to my door for free! You might want to contact someone in your area that specializes in trailer restoration if you want it premade (I went with Area 63 Productions)
He was very generous with his time and I can drive to him. Good luck!!
@Splitrock Yep thats my handiwork and hand.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #216
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Why not have Marzboy make these up for you? Won't cost much to ship a couple strips of aluminum channel.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #217
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Thanks...

Quote:
@ Sandy All you need to do is buy some sheets of aluminum and cut them into strips(I used an air shear). Then I just copied a piece of old channel. I used 3003 H14 .032 I wished I would have used 5052 H32 .032 (much stronger and corrosion resistant). Its not that difficult to figure out, and judging by your husbands handiwork that should be no problem. I picked mine up on ebay for $150 used ($250 new harbor freight). The guy even delivered it right to my door for free! You might want to contact someone in your area that specializes in trailer restoration if you want it premade (I went with Area 63 Productions)
He was very generous with his time and I can drive to him. Good luck!!
@Splitrock Yep thats my handiwork and hand.
Thanks Marzboy,
I did do some checking today and if I can find the kind of aluminum we need, I can either have our school do it or a business place locally for the channel. I hate to ask people to do things and would rather just either do it myself or get it directly from a company but the cost gets to be too prohibitive. I have not decided what to do exactly yet. I still don't know what the process will be do get the wheel well channel. Stay tuned...
Sandy
Old 11-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #218
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Oh I like this idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Why not have Marzboy make these up for you? Won't cost much to ship a couple strips of aluminum channel.

I love this idea! I just haven't quite figured out how to break it to Marzboy that he is going to be supplying our materials and his labor. Hmm....I will have to think of a way to surprise him with this idea.
Sandy
Old 11-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #219
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Ha! How bout I sell you my gently used metal break!!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #220
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Sold if it comes with delivery!

Quote:
Ha! How bout I sell you my gently used metal break!!
I would love to buy your gently used metal break if you can deliver it. Just drive north and then hang a sharp right after you hit Washington state. And as long as you are close to Oregon, there is a cool trailer out there I would like you to drag here. Two birds with one stone!
Sandy
Old 11-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #221
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
I would love to buy your gently used metal break if you can deliver it. Just drive north and then hang a sharp right after you hit Washington state. And as long as you are close to Oregon, there is a cool trailer out there I would like you to drag here. Two birds with one stone!
Sandy
Dont tell my wife she would love that!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #222
2 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
Lufkin , Texas
Plastic Welding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslowery
A plastic welder is just a heat gun with a small tip. You can use filler rods to rebuild pieces or you can repair cracks by just heating and massaging pieces back together with a metal rod.

It sounds real easy when you have never done it. I got the plastic welder working but the results are less than spectacular. I am considering aluminum fabricated wells now as well. What is the current bid for the gently used unit with free delivery?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #223
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
I'm working on that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslowery View Post
It sounds real easy when you have never done it. I got the plastic welder working but the results are less than spectacular. I am considering aluminum fabricated wells now as well. What is the current bid for the gently used unit with free delivery?
The current bid is accepted by Marzboy and he is now negotiating with his wife on the terms of delivery to ND. I think he is positioning himself in a favorable stance to approach the whole situation advantageously and get it resolved favorably. In real terms, I am expecting delivery of the gently worn metal break any day now.
Sandy
Old 11-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #224
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
The current bid is accepted by Marzboy and he is now negotiating with his wife on the terms of delivery to ND. I think he is positioning himself in a favorable stance to approach the whole situation advantageously and get it resolved favorably. In real terms, I am expecting delivery of the gently worn metal break any day now.
Sandy
How did I get myself into this?!

Tags
frame, repair