Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
grass valley , California
Securing shell to frame?

I looked at the process I am using to repair a section of floor and I want to make sure I am safe. Here is what I have at this point. Floor secured to the frame - check, C channel secured to the floor - check. I am now reading about securing the shell to the frame through the outriggers. Did I miss a step with securing the shell to the outriggers (I only have one outrigger on both sides)? What is that? Every part of the shell I accessed had a C channel attached to it and I attached it to the floor. If I did miss that what is the process for securing the shell to the outriggers and/or securing the shell to the frame?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
In general, the shell rivets to the C-channel and the C-channel is attached to both the floor and the frame. You may find wood screws going down through the C-channel into the floor every so often, but the really important items would be the elevator bolts that come up through the end of an outrigger (or the frame cross members in the case of the front and rear of the trailer) through the floor, and through the C-channel. It is hard to imagine that you only have one outrigger on each side. How big of a section of floor did you replace, and did you drop the bellypan in the process?

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Centrally Located , Wish you were here!
Glad that you are asking for help! Lots of people can help here.
I've been trying to document the process of our 1955 Flying Cloud restoration.
If it helps, photos of the floor to frame start here: http://byams55flyingcloud.blogspot.c...-to-frame.html
Old 04-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
I'm sorry, I meant only one outrigger in the area I am repairing. I have plenty of outriggers everywhere else! I'm doing about a three food section at the back of the trailer. So - I'm good but I need a few bolts/screws through the C channel at the end of the outriggers and where the end of the frame 90 degrees under the C channel. I did this with the belly pan on. I could drop the belly pan in those areas to bolt/screw something. How to I attach the C Channel to the outriggers and the 90 degree in the frame?
thinktankair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
I've done only pre 1966. The bolts went up from bottom in this order. Washer- outrigger-plywood floor-C channel-washer-nut. I use stainless washers between C-channel and nut. With out exception the outer ends of the outriggers were/are bolted through the floor/channel. What does surprise me is how many body bows stop short of the floor without the small angle steel to secure the bow to the floor. Just my experience with the original design.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I used grade 8 bolts where the "C", floor, outrigger sandwich met, and elevator bolts with washer and nut where there wasn't an outrigger
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:04 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
You all are great! So I did miss something and I want to fix it! I am going to drop the belly pan so I can get to the outrigger. I will drill a hole down through the C channel and outriggers from inside the trailer. Then I will bolt from below using the method putback used. On the other bolts I also put loctite. So ... I have a place at the back of the trailer with a 90 degree where the end of the frame and the crossmember meet that goes under the C channel . I need to do the same thing there too, right?
Old 04-02-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Always a good idea to "unzip" the belly pan own the center line when you are as deep into the structure as you are. Easier to work and allows for a thorough inspection. But there is a cheat to do one outrigger bolt. A long 1/8th inch [aprox] bit, bore down from top and through the belly pan [ouch!]. Enlarge the belly pan hole to 1/2 inch [ish]. Bore up through rigger/floor/channel using 1/8 hole for a guide. Now you can use a socket & extension to install the new bolt. Buy or make a plug for the belly pan hole. IF I understand you dilemma in the back. The ones I've done had a small tab welded to the frame main rail for that bolted connection. I've seen it written many times, no holes in the main frame rails. Right or wrong I've never seen a bolt hole in one. All in the X members and outriggers.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Colin let me know there is not a rear tie down on a 1961 Bambi, but there are the bolts on the outriggers on all years... so here I go!
thinktankair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Got the outrigger bolts installed. Oh the learning curve!
Old 04-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktankair View Post
Colin let me know there is not a rear tie down on a 1961 Bambi, but there are the bolts on the outriggers on all years... so here I go!
Adding a rear tie down, would enhance the shell to chassis strength.

As long as you have everything apart, now would be a good time.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
xxxx , Delaware
If you don't mind me piggy backing on this thread...

I am going through the same issue with replacing the front floor but need to attach the c channel to the frame. From the 8,000 other threads I looked through some people say you can replace the floor without dropping the belly pan. But how then do you get the c channel bolted to the frame other than drilling holes in the belly pan as mentioned above? Is that the only way?

I don't have the means to drop the belly pan/banana trim and drilling holes in the edges worries me. I have 6 bolts coming up around the front curve in the front 4 feet of my 76 tradewind. Thats a lot of big holes in the pan. Can I notch my new plywood around those bolts and leave them in place while sliding it in? Any ideas to help me get this done easily but securely...

The front section before reveal
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1397082792.795969.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	471.4 KB
ID:	209279

One of the bolts on the left curve

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1397082875.646496.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	512.8 KB
ID:	209280

Bolt with big plate in center section

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1397082940.312324.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	674.9 KB
ID:	209281
merrypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrypaws View Post
If you don't mind me piggy backing on this thread...

I am going through the same issue with replacing the front floor but need to attach the c channel to the frame. From the 8,000 other threads I looked through some people say you can replace the floor without dropping the belly pan. But how then do you get the c channel bolted to the frame other than drilling holes in the belly pan as mentioned above? Is that the only way?

I don't have the means to drop the belly pan/banana trim and drilling holes in the edges worries me. I have 6 bolts coming up around the front curve in the front 4 feet of my 76 tradewind. Thats a lot of big holes in the pan. Can I notch my new plywood around those bolts and leave them in place while sliding it in? Any ideas to help me get this done easily but securely...

The front section before reveal
Attachment 209279

One of the bolts on the left curve
Attachment 209280

Bolt with big plate in center section
Attachment 209281
Do not cut slots in the wood & fudge the plywood in around the existing rusty bolt. The bellypan is not structural, the floor & bolts are.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktankair View Post
Correct, there was no rear hold down plate in your trailer, or any Airstream in the 50's or 60's. They started putting them in during the 70's, & as far as I've seen, only caused problems, not solved them. We have had to remove these plates many times, while replacing the lower portion of the rear center skin panel due to galvanic corrosion.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
So that is why I see people cutting slots in the wood? I wondered why I saw that in some pictures. Colin is so right about not cutting slots in the floor. The other thing I learned the hard way is you should use the largest pieces of wood possible and use cleats. So, having just gone through this, and I am a true amateur (but I have built houses), the holes in the belly pan are not bad. I am going to use metal plugs in the belly pan holes. It is optimal to drop the belly pan but I couldn't because of my location.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Merrypaws there are some ways to cheat. With the bad floor section out you can find a strategic spot in the belly pan near center and cut a hole to allow hand/arm access to the bottom of the outriggers & Xmembers, install bolts and patch pan. If your belly pan is two sheets with the seam lengthwise down the ctr line you should be able to drill out the rivets out to the parimeter with out disturbing the banana raps or beltline. Let the two sections down and have access to the whole underneath. Pull it up on ramps first, you need a couple feet of clearance to allow the sections down far enough for you to get between them and reach to the edges to work.