Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2004, 08:37 AM   #21
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
One alternative we considered was Armstrong's Excelon Commercial Tile. HD carries black and white only but can order it in some very cool colors. It is installed using a very thing Mastick product (1/4") and can be cut and shaped to include inserts and very cool patterns - if you know what you are doing.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:26 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
Hi all,....Personally, I just don't like the "faux wood" look of Pergo. I know, it is close looking, but for me, the way that it (nevertheless) misses the target just is unappealing. No offense intended to the folks who have it and like it--you know, different strokes. Mary
I totally "Heared that"! I, also, have a "thing" for natural surfaces of all kinds.

My criteria when searching for a replacement flooring:

Ease of installation.

Weight.

Ease of cleaning and maintenance.

Durability.

On the last item -- durability -- because of the pups (remember the five dogs that comprise the bulk of my family? - I admit it, I'm one of "those" people ) -- any potential flooring had to pass the "thumbnail" test. My rational was that if I could indent or scratch a surface by pressing down hard with my thumbnail, then that surface was subject to possible damage by the pup's paws when they launched themselves onto the bed, couch, chairs, or other elevated surface that they may choose to peruse their domain.

Ergo, Pergo was chosen for the flooring.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:06 AM   #23
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Pergo musings...

I've installed pergo in my house, as well as my trailer. they were 2 different product lines, though, and that is significant. there are many different product lines under the "Pergo" label. Some are of higher quality than others. Some are "exclusively" available only at specific retailers. "HD's" pergo is only available at HD. "Lowe's" pergo is only available at Lowe's. Others are only available at flooring stores. It gets confusing, and the laminate flooring industry has exploded over the last couple of years. "genuine pergo" is not made in only one specific place, anymore. The stuff I put in my house said "made in Canada" on the box.

Mary, certainly, there is no accounting for taste, but if you haven't looked at the "Pergo Signature" series that is sold only at Lowe's, check it out. When I was shopping for the flooring that I put in my house, I looked at everything I could get a sample of, and this was by FAR, the most realistic looking product available. the "simulated woodgrain" surface is actually embossed, giving it a real 3-d look. Pergo and other manufacturers DO make laminate flooring that is not immitation wood. So perhaps one of those would be a possibility for you, as well.

I used a the cheaper line that is exclusive to HD for the camper, primarily because of its color. It seemed to be the best match for the early 70's fake-walnut decor. Since I installed it in the trailer, more dark colored finishes have become available..they seem to be making a comeback. but at the time, this seemed like the best choice. and yeah, it looks fake. but so does the rest of the interior of the camper, so I figured, "what the heck?". you can see pics of it in my photo gallery.

a table saw isn't really necessary for installation, imo...particularly in the trailer. there are no straight lines anwhere in the trailer, and no 2 edges are going to be parallel, so these outside edges need to be cut w/ a circular saw or jig saw, anyway.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:46 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Well, I went to the Pergo website and looked at all the lines. Their product ranges seem to be restricted to woodgrains and (believe it or not) stone reproductions (just the thing if you want to do a medieval castle design in your trailer!). Oh well, I've heard so many good things about Pergo. It's looking more and more like we're going to go linoleum (tile). That will take a bit of time to save up for, though! Well, that's ok, got a ton of other projects!

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:08 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I am in the middle of installing Harris-Tarkett tap-tight natural finish red oak flooring and am very pleased with the results so far. No regrets. The pieces are approximately the same size as pergo except it is real wood. What they do is mount strips or real hard wood on top of tongue and groove plywood so you can "float" it. A little thicker than pergo (9/16"). All of the tongure and groove sections come pre-glued. All you have to do is pound it together and within an hour there is no getting it apart. Probably takes a little more work lining up the edges since it doesn't actually "snap" together like pergo. The flooring has a 3X times sanding and refinishing warranty if that were ever necessary. I have to agree that hardwood is not nearly as durable as pergo but it sure looks good and I don't have a dog. Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:17 PM   #26
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Other options

I chose to order bamboo flooring at Lowe's for my Classic 25. It is about half the thickness and weight of Pergo and the backing is bamboo wood rather than a fiber material. It comes in 3" t&G planks which means I should have less cutting wastage than with wider materials.

There were 2 colors available, a natural bamboo color and a carmelized color; I chose the latter to go well with the dark oak finish in the trailer. The natural would have been too much of a contrast, IMHO.

I do question using any great amount of Pergo in some of the older trailers where useful load is already limited since there are plenty of lighter weight options. I would never have used Pergo in my International since I only had a couple of hundred pounds of useful weight to start with.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:18 PM   #27
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Well, I went to the Pergo website and looked at all the lines. Their product ranges seem to be restricted to woodgrains and (believe it or not) stone reproductions (just the thing if you want to do a medieval castle design in your trailer!). Oh well, I've heard so many good things about Pergo. It's looking more and more like we're going to go linoleum (tile). That will take a bit of time to save up for, though! Well, that's ok, got a ton of other projects!

Mary
Maybe it was "Armstrong" I was thinking of in regard to the non-wood laminate...anyway, I know I've seen it. And every time I look, they're coming out with new stuff. Just recently, I saw advertised at Lowes, an actual ceramic tile product that is a cross between a laminate floor and ceramic tile. Looks like it must be a thin ceramic tile that is bonded to a snap-together laminate substrate. It does snap together like pergo or other laminate floor systems, though, and is a "floating" system, which would probably lend itself well to the RV application. The joints are sealed with a flexible "grout". (picture showed it being applied w/ a caulking gun). I haven't seen it "in person", yet. I wonder about the weight, too. that could be an issue.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:15 PM   #28
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska

I do question using any great amount of Pergo in some of the older trailers where useful load is already limited since there are plenty of lighter weight options. I would never have used Pergo in my International since I only had a couple of hundred pounds of useful weight to start with.
"usefull load" on my '73 is actually pretty decent compared to the newer models. the "book" says it weighed 3800 lbs empty, and gvw is 5800. I used 3 boxes of pergo @ 30lbs each...maybe less. its hard to say, as there was so much scrap. not alot of sq footage!. anyway..90lbs-whatever the carpet and pad weighed. that carpet wasn't exactly "feather weight". I doubt I've stretched the limits much.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:47 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Quote:
Hi all,

Personally, I just don't like the "faux wood" look of Pergo. I know, it is close looking, but for me, the way that it (nevertheless) misses the target just is unappealing. No offense intended to the folks who have it and like it--you know, different strokes.

But I don't think I'd mind if Pergo made a flooring didn't try to look like wood--if it went for a fun, colorful, deliberately laminate look it would be much more attractive (oooh, and if it had aqua boomerangs printed on it, I'd be in heaven).

Anyone know of any such beast?

Mary
Holy cow! You really want to make that trailer look like it came right out of the 60's!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 07:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I used the "Sams Product" (6 boxes and one piece) with its built in padding. It snapped together nicely and I love the cherry wood look. It is easy to clean. It replaced the vinyl flooring that I had put down two years earlier. I didn't seal the floor before putting down tile and had problems with the vinyl sticking like it should. The carpet is still in the bedroom only everything else in laminate.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 07:59 PM   #31
_

. , .
hi all
i've been following this thread and others on flooring. i plan to overlay something more durable and modern on the brand new full vinyl in the 05 classic.
the material the factory uses is paper thin, doesn't lool like it will hold up well and they really could be using a quality material from the start. oh well.

i don't want to tear it up but will let it air for a few weeks before the cover up....like fireflyinva i'd like the pergo products if they did some modern (non-woodgrain) patterns but the bamboo sounds good too. i'd prefer a contrast to the hickory wood interior.

what i'd really like is real linoleum....but it's heavy and i'd rather a floating floor over the vinyl than something glued to it...i think.

so any suggestions for covering a brand new floor?

the knowledge and skill here is amazing!

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 09:09 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Two years after doing mine I still think laminates are pretty hard to beat. But in those two years there have been a lot of changes.

Laminates are now available in a lot of different looks besides wood. The biggest difference in price will be due to the amount of texture in the surface. One of the reasons so many laminates, especially the early ones, look "fake" is that they are so smooth. Also, every little speck of dust shows. With more texture the light is scattered, making the odd dust mote less obvious. There are many choices now in wood, tile, stone, and probably other finishes I've not seen. Some are amazingly realistic. Given the small quantity needed, even for a 34', price should not be much of a factor.

For sheet flooring take a look at the new vinyls with kevlar. Very, very, durable, and there are some really handsom patterns. I cannot understand why Airstream is not using some of this stuff. The additional cost per unit would be trivial, and much of that would be recouped by having fewer floors damaged during manufacture.

Mark
Old 10-30-2005, 08:35 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Clarkston , Michigan
Wilsonart

Wilsonart has very colorful flooring in planks
Skinner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:19 AM   #34
SqurlGurl

1977 31' Excella 500
Bozman , Maryland
My husband and I laid 2500+ square feet of Uni-Clic laminate flooring in my moms house. My stepfather has had 1/2 of each lung removed due to asbestos inhalation and cannot tolerate dust of any kind. Their wall-to-wall carpet had to go and laminate flooring was the most sanitary and dust-free surface to use as a replacement. They didn't want anything that looked like laminate ..nothing that screamed "that's laminate flooring" . Some brands and patterns have a repeating pattern that, even after "randomizing" the planks, still cannot be overlooked in a large space. The Uni-Click planks were a realistic mahogany, textured grain, and had beveled edges, making it extrememly realistic looking. The planks were wider than most laminate patterns, and the beveled edge on each individual plank makes the difference.It has held up very well and looks incredible. The finish hasn't dulled in traffc areas at all. See installation in their home here :
http://www.geezitron.com/rearview/2005/02/floored.html

We just bought laminate for our AS, but opted for a laminate-looking oak. The space is small enought that seeing the "repeat " in the pattern will not be as obvious as in a large home.I'll be shooting pictures of our step-by-step installation soon and post them to my blog.

-Tracey

(\__/) (((( ))))
/O O ./ ((( ))))
{O__, \ (( )))
/ . . ) \ )))))
|-| '-' \ (()
.( _( )_.'
'---.~_ _

squrlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:32 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Pergo for us

Here are some before and after photos of our flooring. IMHO it looks much better than the original carpet. The AS is currently in the shop getting new upholstery and the curtains will be finished by JPA in December (ouch!!).

By the way, we had a major water leak from the kitchen plumbing one night (thank God the dog barked) and have had a little warping on the edge near the door, but it's only noticeable to me .

The other great thing is we were able to inspect the flooring while the carpet was out. There were some stains (as shown in the photos) but no problem areas.

Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0002.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	16125   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0005.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	16126  

Name:	scan0006.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	16127   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0007.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	16128  

Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:03 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
We have had Purgo installed for one full camping season now (in 2 of the 3)
That big rain weekend we had recently, there was a pretty good leak @ the antenna, no damage

It came out great, and shows no sign of wear!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02385.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	16130  
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:59 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Puzzled

Hello all. Very interesting thread. Do all of the fixtures need to be removed (couch, beds etc.) before the laminate is installed? If so, how big is that part of the operation?

Jerry
deauxrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:52 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxrite
Hello all. Very interesting thread. Do all of the fixtures need to be removed (couch, beds etc.) before the laminate is installed? If so, how big is that part of the operation?

Jerry
I do not have a gaucho in the '75, we have a leather couch in the place of it. But no, you can start @ the gaucho, that is what we did in the 76 Argosy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Couch.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	16146   Click image for larger version

Name:	laminate.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	16147  

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 11-08-2005, 08:19 PM   #39
SqurlGurl

1977 31' Excella 500
Bozman , Maryland
Balgrn and others who installed laminate,
What type of moulding did you use and how did you fasten it to the aluminum walls?

-Tracey

(\__/) (((( ))))
/O O ./ ((( ))))
{O__, \ (( )))
/ . . ) \ )))))
|-| '-' \ (()
.( _( )_.'
'---.~_ _

squrlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:54 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by squrlgurl
Balgrn and others who installed laminate,
What type of moulding did you use and how did you fasten it to the aluminum walls?

-Tracey
I have 2 typs of moulding, one is the Pergo, the other is a hard white plastic. Both 1/4 riound, 3/4". fastened with finish screws, the sheet rock type. I am not satisfied with the look of either, still looking
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com