Old 07-08-2004, 06:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker
....The snap togather laminates must be a real improvement. How wide will a folded piece be when it snap in place? How do you join if more width is needed?
John Baker:

Depending on Brand and Series, each piece could be from 4" to almost 12" wide, and from 2' to 4' long. The pieces are designed to interlock on all 4 sides, so each side "snaps" onto the adjacent piece, making it lood like a real wood floor. You can go as long or as wide as you want, simple lay more pieces. I did the living/dining room of my (really small) house in Houston with a cheap version of an interlocking laminate floor. So far, it has held up great, I just put a better laminate floor pad down on the slab (took up the carpeting first - it also was laid directly over the slab) and left a bit less than 1/2" on all sides for expansion. I looked for expansion/extraction during the first big temp swing after putting it down, and quite honestly, with a 50 degree difference in stabilized room temps (didn't measure floor or slab temp), I couldn't see any expansion/contraction at all.

Most of the larger flooring stores will have samples of their lines and will demonstrate how their connection works.

Home Depot and Lowes usually give "do it yourself" installation demonstration classes on schedule or request. The two DIY meglamarts will also give a fairly honest comparison of their entire line (they carry examples of just about all types of flooring available).

It's not difficult, but it does require a table saw and power miter saw to make decent fitting cuts and for trim installation.

Luck

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
True Pergo is made in Europe, and I think it must contain recycled concrete. I burned up two 10" saw blades on a table saw making the various cuts to fit the ends and outs of the MoHO floorplan. Sparks were flying everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
And boy do I agree about the saw blades. I totally dulled two quality 10" Freud carbide blades.
Camping around here means sand, I was really concerned about scratches and wear. Guess I will put that concern aside (and gather up all the half dull blades).

John

Old 07-08-2004, 08:45 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

I like the thought of Pergo-style flooring, but I'm concerned about increased noise level if I use it in my motorhome. Wouldn't you lose a lot of the sound absorption that you get with carpet? Anyone have direct experience with this?

Bob
Old 07-08-2004, 09:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneon
I like the thought of Pergo-style flooring, but I'm concerned about increased noise level if I use it in my motorhome. Wouldn't you lose a lot of the sound absorption that you get with carpet? Anyone have direct experience with this? Bob
No noise difference at all that I can detect. Most of the noise generated on the 345 seems to come from the front end, and I installed new carpet from the engine riser forward.

I had enough new carpet left over from the front cabin and doghouse recovering to make three runners that pretty well cover most of the Pergo.....but.....even without the runners I really cannot detect an increase in the noise level.

The three runners are small enough to conveniently roll up and take outside to shake out. Also small enough to lay across a picnic table to air them out. I took the runners to an independant rug firm and had them bind the edges. I think it was around a hundred bucks to bind all three of them.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Old 07-08-2004, 09:09 AM   #19
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I second Dennis' lack of noise increase in the MH. We installed a laminate wood flooring product in our 345 and see no noise increases while traveling. I also put down the more expensive pad but installed a lower end (Sam's Club) laminate product.

We were able to install in a single weekend (used a power miter saw and table saw and hand held jig saw). We did from front to back bedroom and bathroom so planning took more time than cutting/installing. This was my first lamintate floor installation so I learned a lot on this project.

We're really happy with the results and after a few recent campground adventures it's holding up well to three kids, two adults, one dog and a lot of mud and dirt. We can clean it the whole floor in a few minutes with a broom and a Swiffer (sp?).

Whole project cost about $140 to date. I'll need a couple more boxes to finish the bedroom and change a few smaller pieces as I build the new dinette.

I'll tell you one thing. After seeing the amount of dirt that gets tracked into the MH I can't imaging putting carpet down again.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Hi all,

Personally, I just don't like the "faux wood" look of Pergo. I know, it is close looking, but for me, the way that it (nevertheless) misses the target just is unappealing. No offense intended to the folks who have it and like it--you know, different strokes.

But I don't think I'd mind if Pergo made a flooring didn't try to look like wood--if it went for a fun, colorful, deliberately laminate look it would be much more attractive (oooh, and if it had aqua boomerangs printed on it, I'd be in heaven).

Anyone know of any such beast?

Mary
Old 07-08-2004, 09:37 AM   #21
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
One alternative we considered was Armstrong's Excelon Commercial Tile. HD carries black and white only but can order it in some very cool colors. It is installed using a very thing Mastick product (1/4") and can be cut and shaped to include inserts and very cool patterns - if you know what you are doing.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:26 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
Hi all,....Personally, I just don't like the "faux wood" look of Pergo. I know, it is close looking, but for me, the way that it (nevertheless) misses the target just is unappealing. No offense intended to the folks who have it and like it--you know, different strokes. Mary
I totally "Heared that"! I, also, have a "thing" for natural surfaces of all kinds.

My criteria when searching for a replacement flooring:

Ease of installation.

Weight.

Ease of cleaning and maintenance.

Durability.

On the last item -- durability -- because of the pups (remember the five dogs that comprise the bulk of my family? - I admit it, I'm one of "those" people ) -- any potential flooring had to pass the "thumbnail" test. My rational was that if I could indent or scratch a surface by pressing down hard with my thumbnail, then that surface was subject to possible damage by the pup's paws when they launched themselves onto the bed, couch, chairs, or other elevated surface that they may choose to peruse their domain.

Ergo, Pergo was chosen for the flooring.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 07-08-2004, 11:06 AM   #23
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Pergo musings...

I've installed pergo in my house, as well as my trailer. they were 2 different product lines, though, and that is significant. there are many different product lines under the "Pergo" label. Some are of higher quality than others. Some are "exclusively" available only at specific retailers. "HD's" pergo is only available at HD. "Lowe's" pergo is only available at Lowe's. Others are only available at flooring stores. It gets confusing, and the laminate flooring industry has exploded over the last couple of years. "genuine pergo" is not made in only one specific place, anymore. The stuff I put in my house said "made in Canada" on the box.

Mary, certainly, there is no accounting for taste, but if you haven't looked at the "Pergo Signature" series that is sold only at Lowe's, check it out. When I was shopping for the flooring that I put in my house, I looked at everything I could get a sample of, and this was by FAR, the most realistic looking product available. the "simulated woodgrain" surface is actually embossed, giving it a real 3-d look. Pergo and other manufacturers DO make laminate flooring that is not immitation wood. So perhaps one of those would be a possibility for you, as well.

I used a the cheaper line that is exclusive to HD for the camper, primarily because of its color. It seemed to be the best match for the early 70's fake-walnut decor. Since I installed it in the trailer, more dark colored finishes have become available..they seem to be making a comeback. but at the time, this seemed like the best choice. and yeah, it looks fake. but so does the rest of the interior of the camper, so I figured, "what the heck?". you can see pics of it in my photo gallery.

a table saw isn't really necessary for installation, imo...particularly in the trailer. there are no straight lines anwhere in the trailer, and no 2 edges are going to be parallel, so these outside edges need to be cut w/ a circular saw or jig saw, anyway.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:46 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Well, I went to the Pergo website and looked at all the lines. Their product ranges seem to be restricted to woodgrains and (believe it or not) stone reproductions (just the thing if you want to do a medieval castle design in your trailer!). Oh well, I've heard so many good things about Pergo. It's looking more and more like we're going to go linoleum (tile). That will take a bit of time to save up for, though! Well, that's ok, got a ton of other projects!

Mary
Old 07-08-2004, 01:08 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I am in the middle of installing Harris-Tarkett tap-tight natural finish red oak flooring and am very pleased with the results so far. No regrets. The pieces are approximately the same size as pergo except it is real wood. What they do is mount strips or real hard wood on top of tongue and groove plywood so you can "float" it. A little thicker than pergo (9/16"). All of the tongure and groove sections come pre-glued. All you have to do is pound it together and within an hour there is no getting it apart. Probably takes a little more work lining up the edges since it doesn't actually "snap" together like pergo. The flooring has a 3X times sanding and refinishing warranty if that were ever necessary. I have to agree that hardwood is not nearly as durable as pergo but it sure looks good and I don't have a dog. Joe
Old 07-08-2004, 01:17 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Other options

I chose to order bamboo flooring at Lowe's for my Classic 25. It is about half the thickness and weight of Pergo and the backing is bamboo wood rather than a fiber material. It comes in 3" t&G planks which means I should have less cutting wastage than with wider materials.

There were 2 colors available, a natural bamboo color and a carmelized color; I chose the latter to go well with the dark oak finish in the trailer. The natural would have been too much of a contrast, IMHO.

I do question using any great amount of Pergo in some of the older trailers where useful load is already limited since there are plenty of lighter weight options. I would never have used Pergo in my International since I only had a couple of hundred pounds of useful weight to start with.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 01:18 PM   #27
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
Well, I went to the Pergo website and looked at all the lines. Their product ranges seem to be restricted to woodgrains and (believe it or not) stone reproductions (just the thing if you want to do a medieval castle design in your trailer!). Oh well, I've heard so many good things about Pergo. It's looking more and more like we're going to go linoleum (tile). That will take a bit of time to save up for, though! Well, that's ok, got a ton of other projects!

Mary
Maybe it was "Armstrong" I was thinking of in regard to the non-wood laminate...anyway, I know I've seen it. And every time I look, they're coming out with new stuff. Just recently, I saw advertised at Lowes, an actual ceramic tile product that is a cross between a laminate floor and ceramic tile. Looks like it must be a thin ceramic tile that is bonded to a snap-together laminate substrate. It does snap together like pergo or other laminate floor systems, though, and is a "floating" system, which would probably lend itself well to the RV application. The joints are sealed with a flexible "grout". (picture showed it being applied w/ a caulking gun). I haven't seen it "in person", yet. I wonder about the weight, too. that could be an issue.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:15 PM   #28
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska

I do question using any great amount of Pergo in some of the older trailers where useful load is already limited since there are plenty of lighter weight options. I would never have used Pergo in my International since I only had a couple of hundred pounds of useful weight to start with.
"usefull load" on my '73 is actually pretty decent compared to the newer models. the "book" says it weighed 3800 lbs empty, and gvw is 5800. I used 3 boxes of pergo @ 30lbs each...maybe less. its hard to say, as there was so much scrap. not alot of sq footage!. anyway..90lbs-whatever the carpet and pad weighed. that carpet wasn't exactly "feather weight". I doubt I've stretched the limits much.