Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2002, 08:56 AM   #1
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Question Saggy Bottom ( rear end )

I have read and heard of the "saggy bottom" problem relative to the rear bath configuration.

I am wondering if there was ever a solution that was implemented by AS.

I have a 71 model with the rear bath but I do not see any "sag" in the rear end. There is a section behind the rear wheels that there is no support frame to the rear of the trailer.

I have read that some owners actually welded in a support that extends from the mid frame to the rear compartment.

I see that the AS utilized the rear bath until the mid eightys.

What year can an owner rely on a rear bath configuration that will not sag. If they exist that is.

Is it inevitable that a rear bath will sag?

Does anybody have some info on this issue?

Smily

smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:07 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
There was a solution. It was adding a reiforcement to the frame.

Picture of reinforcement.

I think they can be had from Inland???

Quote:
From Andy at Inland

Rear end separation did not happen because of the gray tanks.
Trailers made prior to 1974 had the problem. They did not have gray tanks.

Anything will fail with abuse, so take care of it and maintain it and then you can sleep well knowing the dreaded "rear end droop" issue is not to be worried about.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:29 AM   #3
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Pic of unit

I do not see how this device works.

Does it weld on somewhere?

Can it be placed without removing the belly skin?

Smily
Old 10-22-2002, 09:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Rear end separation, or sag, is caused by towing with running gear not properly balanced, due to the vibration being amplified because of the long moment arm.
No one ever, has yet to have rear end separation, unless, the trailer has been extensively towed.
A frame kit "DOES NOT CURE" rear end separation, nor will it prevent rear end separation.
Proper running gear balance, is the cure and preventive measure.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 10:37 AM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Andy on sag

Andy,
glad to see you onboard with this thread,

Why have I seen so many opinions that the sag is directly related to the rear bath configuration?

Is this bunk?

Is sag pssible on all trailers or just the ones with rear bath?

Smily
Old 10-22-2002, 01:42 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
I believ that the condition you are referring to was for trailer from 72 - 79 (some sites state that it lasted to 81). I know mine was one that had that issue and that during the process of correction - that is how my AS ended up with the 5 foot extension on the rear (see the box at the end of my AS in the profile pic)
Old 10-22-2002, 03:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Rear end separation started about in 1965. Loooong before gray tanks. Center baths are not immune to the separation either, just not as often.
Very few owners will admit to causing the damage themselves, by not having the running gear balanced properly. Therefore, it must be someones fault besides theirs.
This subject has gone on and on for my 37 years and will continue to do so. However, we continue to rebuild them for those that didn't believe, but now do. You can bet that they won't let the separation happen again.
The stories continue and the theories continue, the tales continue, and the blame on someone else continues on and on, BUT, the fact remains, that ANY tire, wheel hub and drum assembly must be in reasonable balance. If not, vibration does occur, and usually with enough vigor, to cause rear end separation, tire failures, fatigue cracks in the frame and shell, broken wires, broken tubing within the Air Conditioner, broken LPG lines, underbellies falling off, short lived shocks, worn out striker plates and striker bolts, worn entrance door hinges, partial ejection of the hinge pins on the two hinged doors, water leaks, shearing of interior and exterior rivets, punching bulkheads up through the ceiling metal, to just name a few.

But, interesting enough, some still won't believe. Wow, what does it take to be convincing????

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 10-22-2002, 11:16 PM   #8
overlander

i have a couple of questions

i am an owner of a air stream that has been beat on!. I am the third owner.... (i think)....mine suffers from interior wall seperation from the skin.....i havn't noticed any sag.... yet.......

how noticable is the sag?
if you cant see it does it mean it's not there.....(sure)

is there a mesurement you can use to see if your trailer as sagged?......or do you have to take off the bottom skin to inspect the frame for crack's and bends.

if i'm driving down the road with my trailer and I hit a whoopdy-doo will the ass end of my trailer bend and drag on the highway....or fall off?

Is welding on the frame a wise thing to do?........generaly you are not suppost to weld or drill on frames......

does my trailer have a weak frame? is that really why they bend?

my trailer see's gravel roads, no amount of wheel balance will help with washboard/bad roads........I drive slow on gravel roads...even if you go slow you still get alot of vibration. also those of you who have been to alaska know how bad the highways are here........it sounds like my trailer is going to bend if it hasn't all ready. that is wonderful!

in my case i dont feal balancing would help. i hope the cure isn't......."don't tow it anywhere"

i am getting more and more proud of my trailer every day!
Old 10-23-2002, 07:53 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Rear Sag

I have a 79 31 foot Soveriegn. We discovered the sag when we were patching the rear underbelly. We could see where the frame was bent. I took the trailer to Can Am RV in London Ontario where they repaired it and relieved me of around $1700.00 CDN.
They found a few of the outriggers from the frame that the body is fastened to were rusted out causing undo stress on the rear of the frame.

When you put a jack under the frame behind the wheels, the frame will move and the body doesn't, it has the disease.
Gordon Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 08:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
No comment necessary, by choice! I don't have time to argue, with anyone.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 10-23-2002, 09:39 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Rear Sag

Andy:

I'm just stating what happened in my case. I am taking your advice and having the running gear balanced. My trailer is sitting way up north in Thompson Manitoba. I only hope I can find someone up there to do the job next summer.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Hi Gordon. Your Airstream will be ever so thankful, when you have it's running gear properly balanced.
I predicted that there are still those that "don't believe." That's fine with us, as it's their money and equipment that suffers, not ours.
Laws of physics don't apply to some non-believers, or so it seems.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 10-23-2002, 11:09 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
saggy bottom blues

So Andy, in order to prevent the saggy bottom blues how often should one "balance the running gear"? I realize it depends upon the surfaces over which one pulls the trailer and probably also there is a mileage component in this equation. My 75 sovereign, I believe, sat most of its life before I obtained it. Before I pulled it home, about 1000 miles, I had the tires replaced, balanced, and wheel bearings and brakes checked. I do intend now to tow this beast from place to place. So within how many miles should I do what? Thanks for your unparalleled expertise!
Brouck
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 12:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Electric brakes and the wheel bearings should be serviced every 10,000 miles, or once a year. That is called a "major brake." At that time, the wheel balancing issue can also be addressed. Usually a good wheel balancing job will last 10,000 miles.
A "bubble" balancing job is not a "good" method of balancing, as it normally will last 2-3000 miles. But more importantly, you cannot balance a tire, wheel, hub and drum with a "bubble" balancer.
You can see one type of balancing on our web site, inlandrv.com, that will last 10,000 miles or more, if the tires have not been scuffed.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 10-23-2002, 02:00 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Thank you Andy. I'll add that to my ever growing list of things that keep me off the streets and out of trouble!
Brouck
Old 10-23-2002, 05:42 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
My opinion is that the rear ends (shell) have sagged and seperated themselves from the chassis over time due to the extra weight in the bath area.
Can it be caused by wheels or hubs being out of align? Yes , but it is mostly caused by the extra weight on the overhanging rear end. Not sure a balance wheel/hub will stop this from ever happening. Prolong maybe, stop it from happening no.

If you have rear end sag. They take the rear end apart repair the cracked or seperated frame work weld in new support fasten shell back to chassis. Put metal panels back on and send you on your way.

There is alot more to it but thats just a quick break down of the job that is done.

Again this is my opinion and not trying to get in a pissing contest.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:02 PM   #17
overlander

heres somthing

i have seen Centramatic wheel balancers on semi trucks.....you can get them for trailers...they are supost to automaticaly balance everything al the time......wheel, brake drum, rotor and all.........that might be a fix all as far as wheel balancing goes....that sounds better than having to buy special tools or having to go to a shop just to balance your running gear.

balancing the brake drums?....these are trailers not race cars...
Old 10-24-2002, 08:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
In the circle of most Airstream owners, an Airstream is not a "TRAILER", it's an AIRSTREAM,which is far removed from just a trailer.
Argue with Wally!!!!

Andy
Old 10-24-2002, 08:39 AM   #19
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Must be cold in AK

It is very chilly in here!

Smily
Old 10-24-2002, 08:49 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
where to get balancing done

OK, Andy. I took seriously your comments about the need to balance everything. I also printed out your pages on assembly balancing, etc. Then I went to the Snap-On tools site to look for the balancing device you pictured in your article. It didn't seem to be in the online catalog, but the devices that were there cost more than my vintage A/S. Wow!!

So how do I go about finding a place to do this work without hauling all the way to California (and thereby further ruining my A/S)?

Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 08:57 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Many "truck tire" centers can balance the complete assemblies.
The snap-on equipment that we use is an oldy, but a goody. It's no longer available.
I bought a second one on e-bay a while back that I would consider selling to a dealer.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 10-24-2002, 09:03 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Eugene,

I did the same thing as you, however I then called the local SnapOn rep. The SnapOn rep gave me the name of a local garage that has the correct equipment to spin ballance the hub and wheel assembly as one unit. All you have to do is make sure the local garage has the correct cones that fit your bearing races. Apparently, SnapOn no longer makes the static balancing equipment you see on Andy's web page.

Good luck,

Mark
Old 10-24-2002, 09:20 AM   #23
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Alternative

Andy,
It appears that it is difficult to have the running gear balanced these days in the manner that you describe.

I am certain that all of us would like to be able to have this process done especially with all of the dialogue on consequences of un-balanced running gear.

If I may ask, in you opinion, if someone cannot gain access to the balancing equipment, what is an acceptable or the next best method of balancing our running gear?

Seeing that you are an authority on this issue, (respectfully), could you please pass on a tip or two for those of us that are not sleeping at night wondering about how we are going to get our running gears balanced withou the recommended tools or process.

Very respectfully,
Smily
Old 10-24-2002, 09:57 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Smily.

Mark just posted what I think would be a great help.

Someone could contact Snap-on and asked them for a list of dealers in the country that "have" the proper equipment, with an explanation as to why the info was needed.

I think they would be most accomodating.

Then, a national list of those companies could be posted, for the benefit of all.

I would be happy to do it, but I don't have enough hours in a day as it is.

Unfortunately, there is no second best. Balancing just the tire and wheel, could under certain circumstances, actual create more of an unbalanced assembly.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 10-24-2002, 11:37 AM   #25
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
I will contact Snap on

I will make th e contacts and post' if you will list the equipment here.

Smily
Old 10-24-2002, 01:01 PM   #26
hex

Question ????????????????????????????????????????

I have one major question with all the above.
Inland-Andy admits that the center bath models have the 'sag' problem less often than the rear bathers. If I read him right.

Quote:
Rear end separation started about in 1965. Loooong before gray tanks. Center baths are not immune to the separation either, just not as often."

So why is this? Do they have better running gear?

Also what is the cost of a tandem Airstream balance out at Inland?
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 02:50 PM   #27
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
center bath question

Hex,
I would assume that there are less center bath vintage airstreams than rear bath models, and also that the vibrating effect is less of a problem if the weight of the bath and associated plumbing etc. does not hang off the rear of the trailer,but is closer to the axles. Just my thoughts.
I have a 1971 Tradewind, and I believe that Andy is right on. Close inspection of my trailer reveals all sorts of problems, and most of them could very well be vibration related.
Old 10-24-2002, 05:42 PM   #28
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
My Oh My!!

I am here on a fact finding mission and also, hopefully can add to the fact finding facts!!

Question: Would the Argosy trailers with rear baths (these were made in the 70's) also be subject to this sag? We do alot of our camping here in Colo. and there is an abundance of washboard to travel over!

Info: On the thread named:REPAIR MANUALS, I posted a website for the VAC. It involves adding manuals for AS onto that part of their site via Adobe Acrobat. Some owners have been nice enough to start that process on that site and I noticed at the very bottom, past the part for the appliance manuals, there is one called Airstream Service Bulletin #146" . It states "Frame separation at the rear of the trailer is indicated by the chassis of the trailer dropping away from the shell or body" It then goes on to list how to repair and includes diagrams. It also indicates that this is to correct 1969, 70,71 and 72 models. Dont know if problem existed after that and the bulletin was redone again or not. Would like to know since our trailer is a 78.

Hope this adds a good bit of info to this thread. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 07:06 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
Just looked at a 1974 31' rear bath that had it.
Old 10-24-2002, 07:48 PM   #30
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
I looked at 20 or so trailers before buying the current one. The majority of the trailers had the crinkle by the front wheel, associated with tail sag. I did not think my Tradewind had it, but it looks like it is starting on this one. It has a few lose rivets on the outer skin near the wheel wells, and a slight crinkle in front of the streetside front wheel.........bummer. I have never abused this trailer, but had not had it balanced yet. Waiting to find some nice wheels for it.
Old 10-24-2002, 09:12 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Andy is right on the vibration issue. If your axles and shocks are in good condition then there are two things left, those that spin, the brake drums and the wheels and tires. Drums are usually pre-balanced from the factory, thats what those little tabs are welded to them. No casting Co. can cast perfect balance. Rims and tires are spin balanced at around 65 mph (given todays highway speeds).
So with that in mind and taken care of, the one thing that hasn't been mentioned is GRAVITY! How many folks here put their jack stands down during long periods of inactivity? Think about it, 10-14 ft of weight behind the rear axle with no support for an extended period of time, dry or not. The laws of Physics attack our thighs, butt, belly chins and cheeks, and our "Tin Cans" are no exception! Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 09:25 PM   #32
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Hmmm

Hi Oscar,

I would think the silly trailer should be able to sit on it's wheels and tongue jack for it's entire life, without it starting to bend and sag. I'm not subscribing to the gravity theory just yet, especially not with the trailer at rest.
If the frame and construction should be this weak indeed......then we're all in serious trouble, even when discounting the body parts you had mentioned.
Airstream brake drums are not balanced - no signs of material removed, or welded on tabs ( or washers, in some cases). Just big, heavy orbital vibration devices........right, Andy?
Old 10-24-2002, 10:19 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

It's not a silly trailer...

it's an AIRSTREAM!!

Sorry uwe, had to throw that in there!

If we can't get factory balanced drums somethings wrong. Automotive drums are balanced, wht not TT's? Why balance tires and rims if the drum is out of wack? Defeats the purpose of correct suspension balance.
As for the gravity issue try this, put a pillow on the floor and lay down on it twixt pelvis and chest, extend arms and clasp hands, put cup under palms of hands. Balance weight between hands and pillow, lift those legs! Now stay there for 40 yrs. and see if you don't sag! You said it, the majority of TT's you looked at had the "sag". I can't blame everything on suspension and wheel balance, care and TLC are also part of the equation. Oscar
Old 10-24-2002, 10:35 PM   #34
hex

Question Take It Or Leave It / Wrong Attitude

Uwe I am interested in the "telltale crinkle" you mentioned. Please tell us more.

I cannot believe that this situation is such a contentious matter, the Service Bulletin is also very interesting.Why has Airstream remained so silent?

Perhaps the Airstream company never wanted to address the problem, fearing law suits and buy backs or some such. Maybe it was fear of insurance claims since they owned a big trailer insurance plan. (Wasn't Inland-Andy a troubleshooter for that branch of Airstream at one time)? Could it be that the "Rolls Royce" of trailers just couldn't bear a design flaw blemish on it's carefully manicured reputation? Could they have just been too greedy for a recall, or financially unable to survive one? I hope not, but you know Big Business would never decieve anyone. Right!

I find Inland-Andy's unyeilding and "take my word for it or screw yourself"attitude on this subject very very unfortunate. He should welcome our questions (no matter how inane) and accept that the forums are as much for our self improvement and free discussions as for his self promotion and free advertising. As I have said before I appreciate his coming here (and to every other forum) but he should feel the same of me/us. I have never Argued with him about anything, yet as of now, he has Never answered one of my questions.

Could what I call Tail-Smack contribute to the sag problem in any way?
Tail-Smack is what happens when going up a slope such as a driveway apron or driving thru a quick dip and the rear slams into the pavement. Seems like this would cause the frame to 'bend' upward however. Thoughts appreciated.

thanks
Old 10-25-2002, 08:54 AM   #35
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I could see how a "tail strike" (as they call it in aviation parlance) would weaken the structure back there, and eventually lead to sag.
I saw footage of a 747 being tested for this...apparently they have to demonstrate that the aircraft can tolerate a certain amount of this "abuse"...anyway, it is a scary sight watching a pilot deliberately pulling up too sharply on takeoff, dragging the ass-end of such an enourmous craft down the runway, sparks flying in a plume behind it. Yikes!!

Anyway, I'm sure its a combination of effects that cause it. Andy has said that trailers that don't move don't usually have the problem...hence the "vibration" theory. but obviously, this wouldn't happen if there wasn't alot of weight hanging off the back of the trailer, too. Seems to me the design should tolerate a reasonable amount of all of these potential stresses combined. but then you'd have to define "reasonable"...
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 08:58 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Cause of the sag

Too much lovemaking in the rear bath area.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:59 AM   #37
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Hex.
I don't recall any question that you directed to me.
I will answer most any "reasonable" question, on a time available basis.
I have a choice to make most days. Do I answer questions, on the net, or do I work with our customers that are in my office, or do I answer some of the more than 100 telephone calls that are direct to me most every day??
The customers that are at our facility, will always come first. The customers that call to place parts orders will always come next. That leaves the net for last. Therefore, some days I can and some days I just don't have enough time. Straight forward questions are always welcomed, but if someone wants to get into a dragged out argumentative discussion that's not going any place, I am not interested in that kind of participation.
I have never given anyone the choice of my way or no way.
I do have many answers that I am willing to share, that come from many years of experience, research and testing. If someone adopts them, that's fine. If they choose not to, that's their choice too. Opinions are great, but they cannot over shadow facts.
What is a design flaw? Why pick on Airstream? General Motors and Ford still have design flaws today!
It's a matter of opinion, and not necessarily fact.
I don't think that my car should suffer any damage if I hit a brick wall at 30 miles per hour. Again, opinion.
Today's technology cannot be applied to anything from the past. Again, look at the auto industry. American cars would be a thing of the past, because of foreign technology and quality control. But, we learned and shaped up. So has any other manufacturer that wanted to stay in business, Airstream included.
Continuous picking on Airstream for things of the long distance past, to me, serves little to no useful purpose. Chatting and sharing knowledge of how to and why to fix those things, does make considerable sense, and serves a great purpose.
Ask your questions, and I will answer them in brief, on a time available basis, provided that they are reasonable and informative to this group.
Someone posted and said that drums are balanced with a metal plate. That's very true, within the auto industry. NOT TRUE, in the RV industry. Why? I don't have an answer for that. Therefore we all must address the problem, and take the necessary corrective measures ourselves, and if we choose not to, then how can anyone blame someone else for their individual decisions?

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 10-25-2002, 11:16 AM   #38
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Hex

Hello Hex,
It is an uncomfortable subject. We need to realize that the Airstream trailers are flawed by problems, much like anything else on the market. The company apparently does not respond to the inherent problems, does not offer real advice what causes it, does not admit that there might be a problem in the first place. Why should they - it's been 30 years or so since this started, and no one has sued yet, to my best knowledge. Big business usually only responds to attorneys and threads to loss of sales, everything else is secondary to them. So we have a first class trailer that has 4 very heavy rapidly rotating items ( 12" brake drums) installed unbalanced from the factory. These are the facts. After a few thouseand miles, the vibration starts to take it's toll on all the items that Andy has described so many times already. The guy might be a pain at times, but he knows his sh....!! Better separate Andy from the Airstream factory in your mind. InlandRV is able to help us repair and prevent the problem. Don't confuse Andy with Airstream's lack of attention to details. It took me a while to get over being p/o'd over something so crucially dumb of Airstream. So dumb of Airstream in fact, that I did not want to believe a word of what Andy said - yeah right - lack of drum/wheel balance destroying the trailer - you gotta be kidding, Andy! But you know what, after owning the Tradewind for a while now, it all makes sense. It explains why sometimes the curtains come off, why the tambours somehow open while driving, and why more and more exterior rivets detach from the ribs, also why the rear goucho became detached from the wall. Bottom line, you guys and girls, get the freaking running gear balanced, stop argueing, and go camping.
I am sure that other factors also play a key role in the rear end sag saga, like bottoming out, or jumping the trailer over railroad tracks etc. One guy's trailer I looked at had a 55Gal drum of bike fuel inthe rear bathroom of a 72 Sovereign. Shoulda seen the crease on that one.........
Old 10-25-2002, 12:21 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Gosh, I love this stuff! What that I do for thrills and excitement before I purchased my AS?
Brouck
Old 10-25-2002, 12:49 PM   #40
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
The company apparently does not respond to the inherent problems, does not offer real advice what causes it, does not admit that there might be a problem in the first place.
What are you talking about? they posted a service bulliten about it, and prescribed a fix. ok, maybe they should have re-called all the trailers and paid for the fix themselves....But it seems that they did admit there was a problem, and respond to it.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 12:59 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

For you "do it yourselfer's"....

There is a "Snap-on" wheel balancer at E-bay (# 1870079550), little over 7 hrs. left. Price is at $260.50 and appears reserve has been met. Oscar
Old 10-25-2002, 01:50 PM   #42
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Chuck,

I am talking about delivering expensive trailers with unbalanced running gear in the first place. Then at some point later sending bulletins to their dealers, most of which apparently don't even have the equipment to properly balance. I feel that Airstreams efforts to clarify an obviously controversial problem are very weak; by my standards of doing business. I wonder if they are installing balanced drums on the new trailers, and if so, since when. I also wonder if their factory replacement drums now come balanced.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:52 PM   #43
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Uwe

In a similar discussion one of the members said he had bought new drums from a reputable vendor that were machined off center. I don't know where he purchased them as that was the all he said, but it does not sound like they are balanced much better now than 20 years ago.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 03:09 PM   #44
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
That's too bad, really. But despite the few shortcomings, I find the Airstream still the only trailer that I would consider. Just my preference, though.
Old 10-25-2002, 03:29 PM   #45
hex

Arrow We oughta be able to know

Uwe thanks for the personal advice. However I am not "P.O.ed" as you call it, at Andy or anybody else. I simply am frustrated at people that state things and then ignore questions pertaining to those statements.

I am anxiously awaiting :
from you Uwe - more info on the crinkle.

from Inland Andy - the cost of a tandem balance out at Inland RV.
- why fewer center baths have the sag

I am also very interested in exploring tail-smack,tail-strike,tail-slam, or butt-kick or whatever we should call it.

Back to tail-sag....It apparently is a real problem, it is a deal-breaker (IMHO) therfore many will try to hide it. We (as a community) can not afford to not know all we can learn about it.

Please tell me what would compare with the fear of this problem before purchasing or after.
I have seen many good questions...few good answers.

I want to see the service bulletin and any prior or subsequent posted bulletins please.

I want to know how to test for this sag.
I want to be told how and what is "repaired" for $3000+ bux.
I want to get to the bottom of the "certain models and years" rumor/excuse.
I want to ID this crinkle clue, (the only one mentioned yet) and I want others to come forward that have had a similar crinkle/wave.

If I am wanting too much...then this whole Airstream Mystique is just Bogus-Propaganda.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:18 PM   #46
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Hi Hex,

The crinkle is a soft wave in the aluminum, just ahead of the front streetside wheelwell. above it, the aluminum gives to a slight push, and then bottoms out on the ribs,, which tells me that it's not riveted to them anymore. In my case, there is a slight crease like the trailer had a small accident, or was scraped along a pole. this might have pushed the ribs in and caused the waviness int eh aluminum skin. I cannot see deformations on the inside skin, because it is behind the stove.
Deal breaker: No. It's repairable. 2k$ at the most, i heard. Just add $ 2k to the purchase price, another $1K or so for "small stuff, and you're in the ballpark.
The tail sag crinkle is quite obvious, would not know how to hide it. Look down the side of the trailer, and watch for bulges when you are out shopping. So, if it seems that's wrong, just consider that you will end up with an excellent product, tons cheaper than a new one, and much "better" than the white box units.
Hex, some of your answers don't necessarily have concrete answers. Every case just about is different. Get a unit you like, don't over-research it and scare yourself out of the fun of owning an Airstream. Good information is vital, but nothing beats personal experience. No one will have all the answers all at once. Do a search, and you will find a bunch of hits on the tail sag issue, but most are opinions. I used Google.com, and entered airstream tail sag, and some of the sites came up. One of the more intense ones was this one: www.tompatterson.com
Old 10-25-2002, 04:32 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
Bulletin your refering too
Old 10-25-2002, 04:37 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Hey uwe.....

The wave you describe, is it a horizontal or verticle wave. The pole accident you mentioned leads me to think verticle wave. Thanks, Oscar
Old 10-25-2002, 04:41 PM   #49
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Hex.
Answering a reasonable question, asked in a reasonable way is always welcomed. However, when demands are made to answer questions, that would take many pages of typing, that no longer becomes reasonable.

We charge .4 per hour per wheel for a complete tire, wheel, hub and drum balancing, plus the lead.

I cannot comply with your other demands for answers.

Suggest that you contact the Airstream customer service people at 877-5966505. They are paid by the hour to answer questions.
We are not paid by anyone to answer questions. We are not paid to provide service bulletins. We do it graciously, on a time available basis for our customers or just to be helpful.
Since you have demanded some answers, that have many times over been given on this site as well as others, then I respectfully decline to do it again.

You have also asked them in a combative way, and primarily for that reason, I will not take the time to again, give the same answers.

Usually, when someone has a genuine concern, they would call me, in fairness, on their nickel since they won't be spending any money, instead of our 800 number, and in a friendly way ask if I have time to try to help them with some answers. For over 37 years, I have never said "NO" to that kind of approach.

Please understand HEX, I am not mad at you. But I am not obligated to give any answers to anyone about anything, unless I want to.

I really don't have much of an incentive to be helpful, when someone is swinging an ax. Perhaps at a later date.

The sagging problem, is called "rear end separation."

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 10-25-2002, 04:44 PM   #50
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
It's a vertical wave. The line that makes me think it could have been an accident instead of tail sag is horizontal, but a bit farther back towards the water heater lid. As a matter of fact, the old water heater lid had the continuation of this scratch/line/dent in it.
The wave starts at the bottom rub moulding, and goes up about 8in. The skin above it is sort of lose against the rib. It is not immediately noticeable, unless you look for it.