Old 11-19-2005, 04:28 AM   #99
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
What about automotive drums?

Whew! I just read the whole string from start to finish, so will aproach it with caution

Has anyone been able to find an automotive (truck) drum that fits the A/S brakes?
I'm thinking since the automotive drums are theoreticly ballanced from the factory, that would take care of 75% of the assemblys ballance problem.
Might be cheaper to if thier listed for, say, a '79 ford, rather than an airstream. (anyone whose used chevy part numbers to buy parts for thier corvette know what I'm talking about there)
Seems like there would be a cross reference for brake drums somewhere.

I recognize this may be only adressing a part of the problem, so by all means, refrain from hanging you Harley off the back of the Airstream, and adress that 2" of standing water in the bathroom.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:56 AM   #100
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Volvophile.

RV hub and drums are for RV's.

Light truck and auto hub and drums do not use the same heavy duty bearings as RV's, therefore they don't fit the spindles of your Airstream.

Cheap is OK, but keep in mind, don't go backwards with the specs, especially when they are safety related.

Having a bearing or hub and drum failure, should not be on someones list of things to do!!! It should be avoided, at any and all costs.

Andy

Old 11-22-2005, 02:27 PM   #101
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAIRSTREAM

JPO, would it be possible to repost these pictures. I'm trying to decide if I need to use the elephant ears on my curretcly exposed frame before I button everything up. Thanks for the help and happy turkey day.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:59 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Talking I'll defend you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Hi Gordon. Your Airstream will be ever so thankful, when you have it's running gear properly balanced.
I predicted that there are still those that "don't believe." That's fine with us, as it's their money and equipment that suffers, not ours.
Laws of physics don't apply to some non-believers, or so it seems.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Calm down Andy, you'll burst a blood vessel. (Or balance yourself by applying one martini.)

I noticed that stuff was jiggling around more recently. So like the smart woman I am I checked my nuts (lug nuts) and air pressure. Then I went to my local service guy and got him to balance the whole assembly. Showed him YOUR website on my laptop when he said he didn't think it needed it. Lo and behold I must have dropped a weight from the rim because it was rather badly out of balance on one side. Now when I tow, the books stay on my nightstand and my sliding doors on the overhead cabinets stay in their tracks.

I'm not going to admit to anyone that I think I put Tin Lizzie out of balance in a parking lot, by wearing flat spots on the wheels while trying to teach myself how to back up!

P.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:41 PM   #103
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvophile
Has anyone been able to find an automotive (truck) drum that fits the A/S brakes?
I'm thinking since the automotive drums are theoreticly ballanced from the factory, that would take care of 75% of the assemblys ballance problem.
Might be cheaper to if thier listed for, say, a '79 ford, rather than an airstream. (anyone whose used chevy part numbers to buy parts for thier corvette know what I'm talking about there)
Electric trailer brake drums have a second machined surface that is behind the face of the drum, where the magnet rides when you apply the brakes. No such luck on automotive drums....
Old 11-26-2005, 03:26 PM   #104
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Bump....

Hey guys, does anybody out there have photos of the so-called "elephant ears" described above to correct for rear end sag? I've looked thru about a dozen of the 18 threads that mention this but I have yet to find pictures. I've got mine completely apart and would like to install these, but I just need more info. As always, thanks for the advice.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 11-26-2005, 04:07 PM   #105
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Bump....

Hey guys, does anybody out there have photos of the so-called "elephant ears" described above to correct for rear end sag? I've looked thru about a dozen of the 18 threads that mention this but I have yet to find pictures. I've got mine completely apart and would like to install these, but I just need more info. As always, thanks for the advice.

Jim
Jim,
Look in the Airstream Photos for an album by "Jalina" she did an excellent job of documenting the process.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 04:20 PM   #106
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Bump....

Hey guys, does anybody out there have photos of the so-called "elephant ears" described above to correct for rear end sag?
Jim
I have been trying to understand what is meant by elephant ears also and this is what I have come up with. The elephant ear is not the repair. It is the patch placed over the skin cut to make the repair. I found this diagram that shows what they look like.
http://www.airforums.com/photo...&searchid=1451
I also read that some owners installed reflectors over the cut skin so that it would look more "natural". This information is from what I have been able to find and I have no first hand information about these repairs. Anyone who has done this proceedure, please jump in and let us know.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 05:00 PM   #107
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
AZ, I've seen this before. This seems to be a "patch" rather than a cure. From what I understand, there is a metal kit that can be ordered from Airstream that is actually welded under the floor to the frame, just behind the axles some place that stiffens the frame itself. I'm gonna look at that other thread mentioned above....be back in a minute....

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 11-26-2005, 05:56 PM   #108
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
OK, I've had a chance to view all of Jalina's pic's now (I'm at the in-laws on dial up, so it takes a while). I would classify what Jalina did as a repair because of excessive vibration or "wiggle" as the trailer goes down the road.

Maybe I'm imagining things here, but I thought there was a steel kit that could be welded into the frame behind the axles that would dampen the vibration and "wiggle" that would prevent the problems Jalina has had as well as the sag inherent in the heavy rear areas of the trailers of this era.

I'll keep looking. As always, thanks for the tips!

Air No. 6427
Old 11-26-2005, 06:32 PM   #109
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Have you seen the Airstream service bulletin to correct the sag?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AS Sag.pdf (727.0 KB, 234 views)

Richard

Old 11-26-2005, 06:51 PM   #110
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The Airstream bulletin, is out of date by almost 40 years.

The steel frame kit, is designed to beef up the frame, for the axles, "ONLY".

It "DOES NOT" and will not correct or prevent rear end separation.

It does not add any additional carrying capacity for the chassis.

It does not correct bad axles.

It does not eliminate the need for shocks.

It does not eliminate the need for running gear balance.

It does not make the trailer ride any better.

But, "it does", add strength to the frame so that the frame will not buckle or bend AT THE AXLE MOUNTING PLATE, ONLY. NOTHING MORE.

Elephant ears, is a sheet metal patch at the inside lower corners of the rear quarter panels, at the rear plate junction.

That patch covers up the "INCORRECT" way to repair rear end separation.

Most of the time, when rear end separation has taken place, the rear floor channel has cracked in half, in more than two places.

The proper repair is easy.

1. Remove the rear quarter panels.
2. Remove most of the rivets from the rear plate, so that you can curl the rear plate upward, out of the way.
3. Observe the damage to the floor channel. Remove the channel, have it welded back together.
4. Add an additional gusset the outside of the frame, under the floor, for additional bolts.
5. Jack up the frame to it's correct position.
6. Assuming the floor is ok, and that the rear "hold down plate" is ok, reinstall the floor channel, with new 1/4" grade 5 or better hardware. Drill additional mounting holes through the gussets that were added. Use washers under the bolt heads and at the bottom of the plywood floor. Add steel plates above the floor channel at the frame and gusset areas, that will spread out the stresses.
7. Add additional rivets to hold the "INSIDE" quarter panels with greater strength.
8. Reinstall the quarter panels and rear plate, with olympic rivets at the sides and top. Use plenty of Vulkem sealer between the seams.
9. Use 3/16" pop rivets at the bottom of the quarter panels.
10. Reinstall the rub rail molding.

The above is a professional way to correct the rear end separation problem, and, at the same time, gives the rear shell to frame attachment considerable additional strength. Done properly, no evidence of repairs can be seen, other than the olympic rivets.

Keep the bikes or whatever, "OFF" the bumper.

The elephant ears is a dead give away of "short changed" repairs.

The axle beef up kit, won't do a thing for the above repairs.

Andy
Old 11-26-2005, 07:29 PM   #111
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Andy,
Thanks for jumping in with a very informative post!

Richard

Old 11-26-2005, 09:47 PM   #112
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
North Ogden , Utah
Question tire balancer

Andy,

I just went to InlandRV web site. I did not see a wheel balancer.