Old 10-28-2002, 01:40 AM   #71
overlander

i am not impressed with my A/S trailer

thanks ANDY!

thank you so much for telling us that "from the factory" airstream trailers didn't have PROPERLY BALANCED brake drums!.....sweet!
if some of us knew that, we might have taken this more seriously.....i, like others figured they were balanced from the factory like automobiles.

air streams ARE trailers and i will refer to mine as a trailer. so what if it says airstream on it. it is no better than any of the others. a company that sells a weak frame or frame that is prone to bend, is nothing to be proud about!. especially if they new about it! you cant tell me that they didn't know about it. yet they still sold them with out a factory equiped repair. and if balancing everything was so important why didn't they balance the brake drums to begin with?...there are all kinds of things wrong with them..... design flaws/parts prices "thats a drop in the bucket for me.....i'm not satisfied if it's any less than top dollar prices"

they are not up to my standards....i wish i would have known some of these thing before i bought mine......all i herd was they are the roles royce and all that CRAP!.......

all the hype about how bad ass airstream trailers are is a buch of crap! airstream should not have the reputation they do.......it is very misleading. if i knew about the frames bending i would of never bought it! that is an extreamely bad design flaw........back in the day they must not have done product testing.

if airstream is the best the travel trailer industry can do they have a long way to go before i'll EVER buy another one!

the austrailians have the closest thing to a real travel trailer..or somthing i would consider buying......
they use 2 ton rated wheel bearings...coil suspension....disc brakes. heavy duty frames...on a small single axle trailer.......the running gear is designed for off road use........with the name air stream has i think they could of built somthing that would at least hold up to highway use. for the price tag they carry now i hope they have redesigned and addressed these problems. if they havn't they need to take some lessons from the australians........

hey hex i feal like a toast
Old 10-28-2002, 07:39 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Overlander, I think your being unreasonable. I see you have a 1977 model. I have a 1972 model. At this time, I have no issues with my trailer, other than I am contemplating axle replacement. But hey, the darn thing is almost 31 years old! Try and find a 31 year old Jayco, or Shasta, and see what kind of condition it's in. Don't blame Airstream, that is, in my opinion unreasonable. Go over to www.pickuptruck.com, go to any of the forums, pick ANY brand of truck, and you will see and hear people biatching about this and that, pinging engines, poor brakes, short transmission life, you name it. Geez, you would think after all these years of experience "The Big Three" would be making PERFECT vehicles by now, but they don't, and neither does Airstream, Shasta, Newmar, Jayco........The condition of your trailer rests solely with the previous owners, and how they took care of it. If a problem erupts and is not taken care of in a timely manner, it gets worse, until you reach the breaking point, where repairs really become costly, or the thing becomes a pile of junk.

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 07:46 AM   #73
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Some people

You can please some people some of the time but there are those who will never be pleased.

As I have said before, I think that we should take up a collection and buy the Airstreams from those who are discontented and GIVE them to someone who will appreciate it.

Smily
Old 10-28-2002, 08:59 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
factory balancing

I don't mean to add fuel to the current fire, but I was looking at the owner's manual last night for my 75 sovereign and it says that the running gear is dynamically balanced at the factory. It seems to me when anyone buys a piece of equipment that has moving parts that there is risk inherent in using it. If it is used hard it requires more frequent maintenance. If it isn't, then perhaps not as frequent. The point that was made about the condition of the trailers and the care and abuse that they received prior to our ownership hits the nail right on the head. It is unreasonable to think that something 30 years old should remain what it was when it was brand-new without maintenance and repair period.

On the other hand, I think without these lively discussions I would not be learning the things that I have about my AS. So please, let's continue to enjoy ourselves restoring, repairing, and sharing with one another.
Brouck
Old 10-28-2002, 03:02 PM   #75
1 Rivet Member

I need your input here

I need your input here....Thankyou

I just read both pages of this Thread, and with all the input I learned a whole lot. Not just about Airstreams, but about an event that happened to my beloved 300ZX.

I was driving through a construction area and those dimwits had plowed a furrow across the road and did not put up a sign saying BUMP! I was doing about 20 mph (as a guess) and hit the furrow with a slam on both front wheels.

Shortly thereafter, I developed a shimmy in my front wheels.
The following week I brought it down to have the front end aligned as I thought it had been whacked out of balance.

The alignment person said it was toed in a bit, but nothing to worry about. Well, the shimmy continued, on and off, one day occasionally, and other days more severe, and it still goes on, and after reading all the words on this site, I THINK that somehow the drum has been damaged and out of balance...

What do you fine people have to say about this????? What are you thoughts about the shimmy problem? Who
should I contact to get this corrected AT ONCE! I don't want
to damage my car.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:41 PM   #76
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Sorry Frances but what is this now, Cartalk??
Old 10-28-2002, 04:55 PM   #77
1 Rivet Member

Advice from friends

O, Dear...Chas...
Surely you wouldn't deny a tiny bit of the intelligence that
goes on in this Thread for a little advice, when it's really
needed, would you?

The long discourse about the unbalanced drums and the
possibility that my car is suffering the same illness...wouldn't
you say that there's some familiarity there?

Let's say that my "Airstream front end hit a bump like that
and has that problem...." Would that be a better way to
get a bit of advice from 'mechanical minds that know of these
things'...

One thing about these forums...people are GENEROUS with
their advice, and that generosity is MUCH appreciated. If
someone is kind enough to share that advice with me, I
will be ever so pleased. Thank you.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:10 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Francey,
You might have thrown a wheelweight off due to the impact. Did the guy rebalance the front tires at the same time? If he had, I'm sure he would have noticed a bent rim or been able to tell you that tires were not balanced. I'd take it back and let him know that a problem still exists. If he can't find it, I'd visit another shop.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 07:37 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
Airstream Quality

Hi overlander,

I think your being harsh regarding your comment

Quote:
so what if it says airstream on it. it is no better than any of the others. a company that sells a weak frame or frame that is prone to bend, is nothing to be proud about!. especially if they new about it!
The frame issue was 30 years ago, resulted from a design change (adding extra tank and corresponding weight) and was correct once it showed up. By the way, back then Airstream had a lifetime warrantee.

My trailer is 33 years old. It is in better shape today than many of my friends with much newer rigs. People with new trailers have lots of problems as well. Read action line in trailer life. Being a mechanical device, things on the Airstream are going to wear out or fail .. eventually. With proper maintenance, they will last longer than most of us will. Aistreams have had their problems through the years, but I am not aware of another brand that has such a large collection of antique vehicles still in routine use that so many of us can spend so much time discussing each problem at great length with so much insight.

Sorry you are unhappy with your coach. They are not all perfect. They are not for everyone. If there is something I or others on the list can help you with, please leave a post. I'd be glad to help if I can.

Jim
Old 10-28-2002, 07:48 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
300ZX Airstream front end hit a bump

Quote:
the shimmy continued, on and off, one day occasionally, and other days more severe, and it still goes on,
Did you have the entire front end checked out. Control arms, ball joints, linkages, etc? Sounds like something is loose.

Does the rear end have a droop or sag??

Jim
Old 10-28-2002, 07:55 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
Hubba, go for it!

Quote:
As a potential Airstream owner of either a Bambi 19' or a International AS, do I have to be concerned about the dreaded saggy bottom?
No worries on the newer trailers.
No worries on the smaller (shorter) trailers.
You should be fine. If it is a used trailer, go through a good inspection. Search the site for ideas what to look for.

Good luck.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:06 AM   #82
2 Rivet Member

JW84345

Jim

Thanks for your reply. I'm secure in the thought that the saggy rear is not a concern on a 2003 Bambi or International AS. Now, to get the "other half" as ready to purchase as I am!!!

Cheers,

Hubba
Old 10-29-2002, 03:05 AM   #83
3 Rivet Member

FranceyS, I don't thik the 300ZX's had Drum Brakes. I might be mistaken, but I think they are all disc brakes. Now you say it shimmies? I would assume a shimmy means it shake side to side, instead of bouncing up and down? If it was a balance problem, I would think it would bounce and not shimmy. I am thinking you might have damaged a tie rod or something like that to get a shimmy.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:24 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

Owning and Avion, I am not sure if this post should even be a concern to me. The suspension on my trailer is a Mor-Ryde set up. I guess it was suppose to be a state of the art suspension. I don't know how it compares the suspension on the Airstreams, but it sure is a totally different set up.

http://www.morryde.com/Trailer%20Suspensions.html

I see a few things that might "help" contribute to the sagging butt syndrome on Airstreams:

1- I have seen many post about the problems with older axle setups on Airstreams. The less travel the axle has, the more chance I see of the "sagging" happening because of this "bottoming out" affect of older axles.

2- What affect does having a single axle compared to a dual axle have on the "sagging" on the older trailers? I have seen some pretty long trailers with only one axle. I would think this would leave more out there in the back to cause sagging.