Old 10-23-2002, 03:00 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Thank you Andy. I'll add that to my ever growing list of things that keep me off the streets and out of trouble!
Brouck

Old 10-23-2002, 06:42 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
My opinion is that the rear ends (shell) have sagged and seperated themselves from the chassis over time due to the extra weight in the bath area.
Can it be caused by wheels or hubs being out of align? Yes , but it is mostly caused by the extra weight on the overhanging rear end. Not sure a balance wheel/hub will stop this from ever happening. Prolong maybe, stop it from happening no.

If you have rear end sag. They take the rear end apart repair the cracked or seperated frame work weld in new support fasten shell back to chassis. Put metal panels back on and send you on your way.

There is alot more to it but thats just a quick break down of the job that is done.

Again this is my opinion and not trying to get in a pissing contest.

Old 10-23-2002, 09:02 PM   #17
overlander

heres somthing

i have seen Centramatic wheel balancers on semi trucks.....you can get them for trailers...they are supost to automaticaly balance everything al the time......wheel, brake drum, rotor and all.........that might be a fix all as far as wheel balancing goes....that sounds better than having to buy special tools or having to go to a shop just to balance your running gear.

balancing the brake drums?....these are trailers not race cars...
Old 10-24-2002, 09:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
In the circle of most Airstream owners, an Airstream is not a "TRAILER", it's an AIRSTREAM,which is far removed from just a trailer.
Argue with Wally!!!!

Andy
Old 10-24-2002, 09:39 AM   #19
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Must be cold in AK

It is very chilly in here!

Smily
Old 10-24-2002, 09:49 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
where to get balancing done

OK, Andy. I took seriously your comments about the need to balance everything. I also printed out your pages on assembly balancing, etc. Then I went to the Snap-On tools site to look for the balancing device you pictured in your article. It didn't seem to be in the online catalog, but the devices that were there cost more than my vintage A/S. Wow!!

So how do I go about finding a place to do this work without hauling all the way to California (and thereby further ruining my A/S)?

Eugenie
Old 10-24-2002, 09:57 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Many "truck tire" centers can balance the complete assemblies.
The snap-on equipment that we use is an oldy, but a goody. It's no longer available.
I bought a second one on e-bay a while back that I would consider selling to a dealer.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 10-24-2002, 10:03 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Eugene,

I did the same thing as you, however I then called the local SnapOn rep. The SnapOn rep gave me the name of a local garage that has the correct equipment to spin ballance the hub and wheel assembly as one unit. All you have to do is make sure the local garage has the correct cones that fit your bearing races. Apparently, SnapOn no longer makes the static balancing equipment you see on Andy's web page.

Good luck,

Mark
Old 10-24-2002, 10:20 AM   #23
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Alternative

Andy,
It appears that it is difficult to have the running gear balanced these days in the manner that you describe.

I am certain that all of us would like to be able to have this process done especially with all of the dialogue on consequences of un-balanced running gear.

If I may ask, in you opinion, if someone cannot gain access to the balancing equipment, what is an acceptable or the next best method of balancing our running gear?

Seeing that you are an authority on this issue, (respectfully), could you please pass on a tip or two for those of us that are not sleeping at night wondering about how we are going to get our running gears balanced withou the recommended tools or process.

Very respectfully,
Smily
Old 10-24-2002, 10:57 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Smily.

Mark just posted what I think would be a great help.

Someone could contact Snap-on and asked them for a list of dealers in the country that "have" the proper equipment, with an explanation as to why the info was needed.

I think they would be most accomodating.

Then, a national list of those companies could be posted, for the benefit of all.

I would be happy to do it, but I don't have enough hours in a day as it is.

Unfortunately, there is no second best. Balancing just the tire and wheel, could under certain circumstances, actual create more of an unbalanced assembly.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 10-24-2002, 12:37 PM   #25
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
I will contact Snap on

I will make th e contacts and post' if you will list the equipment here.

Smily
Old 10-24-2002, 02:01 PM   #26
hex

Question ????????????????????????????????????????

I have one major question with all the above.
Inland-Andy admits that the center bath models have the 'sag' problem less often than the rear bathers. If I read him right.

Quote:
Rear end separation started about in 1965. Loooong before gray tanks. Center baths are not immune to the separation either, just not as often."

So why is this? Do they have better running gear?

Also what is the cost of a tandem Airstream balance out at Inland?
Old 10-24-2002, 03:50 PM   #27
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
center bath question

Hex,
I would assume that there are less center bath vintage airstreams than rear bath models, and also that the vibrating effect is less of a problem if the weight of the bath and associated plumbing etc. does not hang off the rear of the trailer,but is closer to the axles. Just my thoughts.
I have a 1971 Tradewind, and I believe that Andy is right on. Close inspection of my trailer reveals all sorts of problems, and most of them could very well be vibration related.
Old 10-24-2002, 06:42 PM   #28
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
My Oh My!!

I am here on a fact finding mission and also, hopefully can add to the fact finding facts!!

Question: Would the Argosy trailers with rear baths (these were made in the 70's) also be subject to this sag? We do alot of our camping here in Colo. and there is an abundance of washboard to travel over!

Info: On the thread named:REPAIR MANUALS, I posted a website for the VAC. It involves adding manuals for AS onto that part of their site via Adobe Acrobat. Some owners have been nice enough to start that process on that site and I noticed at the very bottom, past the part for the appliance manuals, there is one called Airstream Service Bulletin #146" . It states "Frame separation at the rear of the trailer is indicated by the chassis of the trailer dropping away from the shell or body" It then goes on to list how to repair and includes diagrams. It also indicates that this is to correct 1969, 70,71 and 72 models. Dont know if problem existed after that and the bulletin was redone again or not. Would like to know since our trailer is a 78.

Hope this adds a good bit of info to this thread. Leigh