Old 12-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #15
irm
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Done DEAL - we're IN!

Everyone,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your help. The forum has been an excellent resource for us in the last 2 months and has helped me get to the point where I am typing my reply as I glance out the front window at our AIRSTREAM!!!! Just updated my profile from "looking" to...

We just brought home our 2007 25ft FB this past weekend and immediately used it on the way home. It was already winterized, but we enjoyed cooking a great meal (by the way...DO NOT COOK SALMON IN YOUR AIRSTREAM), hanging out with the dogs, and our incredible December mountain bike ride the next morning.

There is evidence of floor rot, and thanks to your great advice, we were able to get the seller to come down on price to a point that we feel very comfortable with the work that may lay ahead. The bones of this baby are great and I'm actually very optimistic that we can do much of the work ourselves - thank goodness for the posts and encouragement here when it comes to fixes.

It all seems meant to be! We weren't originally planning to purchase so quickly and, even 3 weeks ago, were still thinking 25ft was too long. BUT, literally the same day we expanded our search to the longer AS I just happened to find one for sale 3 hours from our house!! We feel so fortunate that we were able to look at it first and only had to make a short trip to pick it up. The private seller we bought from was wonderful and overall it's been a great experience.

I can see why everyone here is so proud. These trailers are truly special and I think we're hooked for life. Barring awful weather we will go to our first rally end of the month and are looking forward to being part of such a fun and passionate group.

Now...time to organize, decorate, and maintain!

Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3541.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	522.1 KB
ID:	174012   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3545.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	174013  

Old 12-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
Its quite possible that if you upgraded your bikes components to Sram XX they might be more expensive than the airstream....strange how that works...

Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #17
irm
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protohyp View Post
Its quite possible that if you upgraded your bikes components to Sram XX they might be more expensive than the airstream....strange how that works...
Ha ha...PLUS these are only 2 of our bikes. Spoiled we are, but gotta have the right toys for the job!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Let's not talk about how much we can spend on our bikes. We already get looked at crazy enough because of the Airstream.

Luckily for me, when it comes to my mountain bikes, being in Texas, I only need a hardtail. Much cheaper.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Nice! The best way to enjoy your Airstream is to be informed and have realistic expectations... keeping your eye on the few trouble areas can save you a lot down the road. That floor might last you a long time - make sure everything else is dealt with before taking on the big stuff like that.

Enjoy! We might move from our 22 to a 25 soon enough.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post
Let's not talk about how much we can spend on our bikes.
Deal. Just replacing worn parts......
Old 12-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
That a local dealer will have the experience, parts, and ability to not only repair this, but to also repair whatever and all that caused it is iffy at best.

The Airstream Service Center in Jackson Center, Ohio does this every day and I wouldn't let anyone else touch it.

doug k
There are a few dealers in the country that do an equal to or sometimes even better job than Jackson Center.

Part of their outstanding reputation is because of their service departments.

One HUGE Jackson Center mistake is using Olympic rivets with washers.

That IS a short term fix, if there ever was, and to me, is the heighth of "that's good enough".

No rubber or neoprene washer lasts forever, but Vulkem sealer does.

Andy
Old 12-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I'm stuck with an '05 Airstream and I get sick to the stomach when I look at it. Nothing but trouble. The latest is floor rot due to improperly installed fan - by factory when new. $5k is the estimate to fix..$4.4k labor. You'll get more for your money somewhere else.