Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #41
_

. , .
ok good info

it's gonna be an aluminum tent, totally primitive camping, no plumbing and so on.

that's a plan.

not what i'd have imagined but that's the value of more background info.

reads like a lowER cost approach and a testing the 'stream waters...

let us know how it goes.
________

set some LIMIT for spending, communicate that to the shop and hold on to yer hats...

then go camping!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
just for background, here's one of your first posted thoughts here...

no where in any of these posts is there ANY information on...

-past camping experience
-future camping expectations (frequency, location, distance, purpose)
-WHY u "dream" of owning a 'stream (even ONE reason why)
-what you/husband and TWO teenagers want/need in an rv...
-things like shower/fridge/storage/sleeping space, and so on...

--and no place do i see a budget, or even an approximate/RANGE that the FAMILY is wiling to spend on an rv...

including THIS rv.

of course the FORUM MEMBERS are NOT entitled to ANY of this background or info,

but HOW can anyone here provide ANY rational or objectively neutral advice without it ?

the point being while you admit having tossed out all the checklists and rational thinking...

leaving US without details...

means that most of the replies will be cheerleading like "GO FOR IT" ((and maybe that's the point?))

and it costs US nothing to encourage YOU to spend money...

so now the reality, having spent 3,000$ so far...the real bleeding begins.

major frame work, running gear, tires, brakes and AFTER all of that, as you seem to realize....

it's still a 40+ year old metal tube with 40+ year old interior and applicances...
________

if the goal was/is a vessel for camping, buy something that can be used NOW right away (this season)...

figure out IF rving is really that important AND if there will be time to go camping much.

IF the goal/need is a 'stream for camping...

keep LOOKING then buy the BEST EXAMPLE (within budget) of a unit that's ready to use...

surely the goal isn't to have some shiny, highly customized vintage thing that OTHERS will look upon with envy???

or is it?

yes you've got a good shop and yes they can make this stream happen...

but WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET?

the useful/wise thing about buying a READY to camp trailer...

is that the unit can be financed, interest is deductible, and it can be INSURED for the value.

none of that can happen with this one.

would u buy a car, starting with just the OLD BODY,

then spend some UNSPECIFIED amount to build TRANSPORTATION inside that body ???

unless you happen to be in LOVE with some specific old car body...

and would u spend/risk the HOME EQUITY to do that???

it's one thing to find a good old 'stream and using personal sweat, time and parts BUILD it up...

lots of folks can brag..."i spend 2000 hours and 10-25 grand but would take 3x that for it...yadda"

but PAYING someone else to restore it starting with a REdone FRAME is expensive, very very expensive.

are u gonna be HAPPY with all the old bits ON TOP of that redone frame???
________

we're all here because of some affection/history or interest in 'steams specifically,

so this isn't about bashing a/s ownership or restoration...

but these 2 snips/quotes pretty much sum UP where this is all headed...

you...."Gone were the well designed checklists and all rational thought"

them...."My husband and two teen kids are being very supportive but then they asked the obvious question of "Now what?"

take this thing home and THINK about this project/process and PURPOSE all over again...

we all get a little goofy in the dark daze of winter and may dream about spring and the potentials...

then act accordingly.

the point being YOU need to sort out the overall TOTAL costs before pouring MONEY into the frame.

cheers
2air'
2Air

Your advice sounds more like Mr. Spock than Dr. Phil.

When it comes to Airstreaming why should we be this dispassionate about purchasing and restoration decisions. Surely it is not ALL about money, or rational thinking. What fun is that?

Of course part of the decision is about money and many new vintage owners erroneously think spending LESS up front for a fixer upper will pay out on the other end. This shows how budget shopping can backfire. As I mentioned before, it looks like 2Vets found a very nice trailer factoring in the overall condition including the rear frame issues. I am hoping they were not expecting to find a perfect vintage specimen for 3K and hit the road. If so, join the club of people here that have started sooooo many threads three years ago and have either jumped ship or hunkered down for the long haul.

Since the “rational thinking” part has flown the coup and the trailer is now in 2Vets possession …what now?

Mr. Spock suggests to park Tradewind in the transporter room and hit the “send to the 3rd moon of Ebayion” button.

After all, it is just a 40 year old metal tube. Vulcan’s have no heart.

Enter: CAPTAIN KIRK.

Dam it Spock! What are you doing? This trailer is our last chance to get back to the Federation Picnic on Planet Earth!

SPOCK:

But Captain, it is a forty year old Airstream with old appliances….and have you looked at the frame? It will NEVER make though the atmosphere! It is not rational to repair this vessel.

KIRK:

Dam it Spock! This is the Federation TradeWind that the original Captain Kirk used in episode three.

SPOCK: The young thin Captain Kirk without the double chin?

KIRK:

Dam it Spock!

SPOCK:

I would suggest having Chief Engineer SCOTTY take a look at this vessel. If you would like, Captain, I will stand by and hit the “send button” for you after Scotty also tells you the bad news.

KIRK:

DAM it Spoc…….

Enter: Chief Engineer SCOTTY

Well Captin’ wuht do we hve here? Captn’ IS this the Airstream from that Federation Picnic on Earth, star date 2191? Oh mi, that was a good one, wisent it! That was episode three was it not?

SPOCK:

If I might interrupt Chief……

KIRK:

Dam it SPOCK, Scotty is talking!

SCOTTY:

Ayah, Ea do remember that trip. She was a fine vessel then, and I remember aving a toast to you wih a very special single malt we had stored in the overhead compartment. Let’s see if it is still…….why Captain! Heir it is……Shall wi hva wee bit? Spock? How about yu?

SPOCK:

If I could get back to the matter at hand….that is, the hand I have on the send button.

SCOTTY:

DAM IT Spock, get your long fingered Vulcan hand off that button. After Jim and I finish off this really old single malt I plan on getting my crew up here to fix that frame.

SPOCK:

Is that the scotch talking…..do you really plan on fixing this 40 year old tin can?

SCOTTY:

Careful wet yu se ‘bout Scots, you pointy eared heartless….

SPOCK:

Talking about the very old fermented barley liquid you found in the Airstream vessel….Sir..

SCOTTY:

Oh….YES….Righhhht, well…. Captain Kirk wants my opinion about the TradeWind (long look at vessel as the last glass is filled)

Captin’ , she is a fine ship and we should bring her back like I said. There are many more Federation meetings left in her.

KIRK:

Dam it, Scotty, that’s not the booze talking now, is it? Because the scotch is bringing back many a memory with this vessel and that starship nurse….what was her name….

SCOTTY:

Captin…have I evir let you don? As long as you keep it under warp six during re-entry she will be good….and tie that door shut.

KIRK:

Stand down Spock. Looks like Scotty has a heart AND a welder back in the engine room. The Tradewind will travel again…..what was that nurse’s name….?

SPOCK:

I will never understand the human need to look to the past and conjure up feelings and desires for material things. This is a great burden. And one more thing…I plan to use the transporter to attend the annual federation…….um…what is a picnic anyway?
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #43
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
2air,
I had this exact conversation with 2vets, & asked them to come over & view their trailer along with it's damage................in the flesh. It's always better to find out what the clients ultimate goal with the trailer is, then fill them in on what the capabilities are of a well thought out restoration/refurbishment, & how to move in that direction. I also ask what their budget is, & then fill them in on what typical full restorations cost. I do a lot of work for clients who want/need to keep the costs down, which is why I always try to feel out what amount of sweat equity they are willing to put in & where their expertise lies. I don't want to work on "bodged" trailers & refuse to "bodge", even when requested to do so. I feel it is an injustice to the Airstream product & to the longevity of the trailer itself, not to mention the safety aspect of it. The key is to get another neglected Airstream back on the road again that is structurally sound & safe for travel adventures, even as an "aluminum tent" if need be. When this is done correctly, it invariably gets completed to a high degree by someone eventually, even if it's not done by the client with the original vision. 2vets have a vision that makes sense & they realize it'll take more time & $ than they originally hoped (this happens to all of us), however by doing things correctly from the outset, they or a future owner will not have to re do anything..........................for another 40+ years. SOB's will never have that option, as they are designed & built as "throw aways".............an unfortunate fact of today's society.
Thanks,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:33 PM   #44
_

. , .
'62 has been smoking that vintage awning rope again...

and it's dr PUNX phil 2 u mister...

(as in he looked UNDER the belly pan, the shadow of RUST was seen, so it's back into the hole for another 6 weeks)
_________

hi colin

i agree completely that building or starting from good bones matters...

and doing the job RIGHT means another few decades for the shell...

and maybe a few more owners.

it's good to read you had the "talk" with the owner/s...

but she did start/open the thread this'a way, suggesting a HOLE in her information trail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2vets View Post
I desperately need opinions from airforums members on what I should do!....
so 2 things crossed my synapses as i keyed the reply...

1. desperate is not a word that should be associated with a RECREATIONAL vehicle rehab...

2. the sentence does NOT end with a question mark...

which is IMPORTANT for all us XYz to remember, when supplying answers.

often what appears to be a question from an XX...

is really just a segue to the next part of a bonding converstation with OTHER XXs...

XYz tend to TRY answering questions, n solving problems (vulcans OR groundhogs) when often the XX

just wants to vent.

in the primordial sense it's a neanderthal girl thing....

XXs just wanna jabber about things, groom, pick bugs outta each others hair and huddle 2getha...

the quote might as well been something like this...

"gorban won't let me REdecorate the cave, what SHOULD i do!"

ok, time to TELEPORT ahead to the past...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #45
Certifiable

. , .
Dammit Jim! 2vets is a doctor, not a restorer!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2vets View Post
[

Thank you for your comments 2air- I appreciate your honesty since it IS such a huge undertaking, both financially and emotionally! I have read many posts from you on this forums and I have always found them insightful. What I find difficult is to try to sort out the total costs of owning an airstream when you have no idea what you are going to uncover next.. which is true for any used trailer whatever the age.

However, I am not sure what you mean by "what is one of the MOST common procedures performed by vets and why is it done???". The vast majority of patients I see come in for wellness exams,routine surgeries, followed by various metabolic ailments on which diarrhea tops the list (particularly if you own a lab who has dietary indiscretion as his middle name!). If you are talking about euthanasia of pets, that is a TEENY fraction of our medical profession, and I consider it a blessing in veterinary medicine. The ability to end an animal's suffering if we are unable to control their pain or halt their critical disease is not a financial decision but a personal family decision. It is a decision that I have had to make on my own pets.

We are NOT looking for a vintage beauty that will cause people to envy us as we drive by. We will be going to state campgrounds with no hookups. We will be putting back her appliances that work and her insides with her slightly chipped veneer. We will be putting one fantastic fan in so she will not be airless, perhaps two if we are feeling really "flush". If we live without a bathroom and running water for a year or three we will not be crushed since we are tenters and living in an aluminum tent would be like a palace in comparison.We will not be polishing her. Our original intent was to live with her crudely for a year after replacing her axle and floor but the rotten frame added a frost heave to our plans. Thank you for everyone's input, it has been truly appreciated!
Very well said. We have also only known tents, I daydream about going out in Bonnie even as an empty ALUMINUM PALACE it would be a luxury compared to a tent. Porta-potti, hard floor, Yea Baby!
We will polish Bonnie one panel at a time. Aircraft Stripper from Advance Auto $18 qt brush on wait rinse off. (to remove old finish). Then Diamond Shine from lowes $12 a bottle use an electric buffer ( got ours from flea market, still sealed in box, $12). Might take us months 1 panel at a time but who cares. Susan.
Bo&Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #47
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
Dammit Jim! 2vets is a doctor, not a restorer!
with a wallet that's about to...

"explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where MANY wallets have gone before...."

cheers
2air'

Old 01-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
'62 has been smoking that vintage awning rope again...

and it's dr PUNX phil 2 u mister...

(as in he looked UNDER the belly pan, the shadow of RUST was seen, so it's back into the hole for another 6 weeks)
_________

so 2 things crossed my synapses as i keyed the reply...

1. desperate is not a word that should be associated with a RECREATIONAL vehicle rehab...

2. the sentence does NOT end with a question mark...

which is IMPORTANT for all us XYz to remember, when supplying answers.

often what appears to be a question from an XX...

is really just a segue to the next part of a bonding converstation with OTHER XXs...

XYz tend to TRY answering questions, n solving problems (vulcans OR groundhogs) when often the XX

just wants to vent.

in the primordial sense it's a neanderthal girl thing....

XXs just wanna jabber about things, groom, pick bugs outta each others hair and huddle 2getha...

the quote might as well been something like this...

"gorban won't let me REdecorate the cave, what SHOULD i do!"

ok, time to TELEPORT ahead to the past...

cheers
2air'
What the!!!!!!!
Who's been smoking the awning rope??
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:21 PM   #49
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
2air,
2vets came over a couple of days after the thread started, which is when i "had the talk".
Colin
Old 01-31-2010, 08:44 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
2Vets~

If you stop and sell her now you will have to start the hunt all over again, and you will have to inspect the new candidates top to bottom, chances are one that you find will need typ stuff like axles anyhow, and if you like this vintage you will have to add a grey tank to the one you find. The inside looks really special. Its only money. If I were in your shoes I'd get her fixed and go campin and make some memories!
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dillon , South Carolina
I would go ahead and replace the frame.
urb2165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I'd sure like to see an update on this thread. What's the status of Colin's work? Pics would be great!

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:50 PM   #53
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Apparently it has been gutted & is ready to be brought over. All i need to do now is to fit it into the schedule. As soon as the work begins, photos will be sent to 2vets.
Colin
Old 06-05-2010, 07:26 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
1960 tradewind

While we are waiting in line for Colin Hyde we decided to take her home to do some of the "grunt" work! We removed the interior panels and Colin had us vulkem all major seams and rivets. See photo below. We should be taking her over to him in the next week or so but I am not sure when he will be actually working on her! We promise to send lots of photos!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010296.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	104069   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010426.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	346.1 KB
ID:	104070  

2vets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Hi!

Did you decide on a frame patch, section repair, or a complete replacement?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Dave Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
It is still at Colin Hyde's waiting in line. I promise to keep everyone in the loop! I just went camping with the family the past two days and it rained so hard we converted our sleeping bags into water beds. Yuck. I can't wait to get into a trailer and be more than 3 inches above the ground.
2vets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Talking

Updates? Pictures? More inquiring minds want to know......
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote